4/07/13 -- Chocolates (Part1/2)

[365 Days Challenge- 1 word a day (2013)]

Title:Chocolates (Part 1/2)
Pairings:ShoxOhno
Genre:Fluff
Rating:G
Disclaimer:I own nothing but the plot
Word Count:2010
Summary:Sho hated sweets, especially if it was chocolates. But on Valentine's Day, he receives a box of them in his mailbox.

 


Sakurai Sho had a strong distaste for sweets. All they did was give cavities and worse, diabetes. He definitely hated sweets. But strangely, every year during valentines day, all of the girls -- probably the whole girl population in his school -- gave him a box of sweets. Chocolates and whatever else there was in the sweet categories. At the end of the day though, he doesn’t eat them. He pretends he does by saying he does eat them when he gets home, but it ends up in the trash. He really couldn’t stand eating them.

 

~*~


It was probably second semester of his second year in high school when it began, when an anonymous would leave a box of chocolate in his mailbox. It was obvious he didn’t keep all the chocolates since he always threw it away in their trash right in front of their house. So at the end of Valentine's Day, it’s full and you could see it sticking out. When he received the chocolate from the mailbox himself, he would look at his trash and wonder why this person didn’t look at it first. Just like the rest of the chocolates, Sho threw it out without giving it a second thought.

 

 

~*~


The problem was though, even when Valentine’s Day ended, the chocolates would come in again. His little sister Mai insisted that he keeps it since it may come from someone who really likes his dorkiness. He felt offended at her words, but he was a dork. All he ever did was study and he rarely socialized. So why do all the girls still give him those useless box of cookies? Sho really doesn’t care at the moment since exams were coming up. Without a second thought, he throws it away.

 

 

~*~


It was early into March and Sho was beginning to believe he was as desperate as the person who sent him chocolates almost everyday. Whenever he comes home right after school, he always, always, looks at his mailbox and he would see half of the box popping out. It either came in heart shapes or a simple rectangular shape. One day, when Sho came home, he saw the box. It was covered with brown paper and half of it was sticking out. Wait, was it that big before? Sho wondered curiously so he took the box out and brought it with him for the first time instead of throwing it away.

“Oh!” Shuu, his little brother, jumped behind him excitedly as he examined the box. “What’s in there?! Is it like, a bomb?!”

“I don’t know,” Sho shrugged, “Wanna open it for me?”

“Yes!”

Shuu went to work right away, ripping the box from its brown covers. Though Sho had to admit, he was a little curious of the contents inside.

“Aw,” Shuu sighed dejectedly as he pushed the box away. “It’s just a bunch of boring letters and chocolates. Sho-nii! How are you so popular?!”

Sho just shrugged. When Sho picked him up at school one day, he noticed that his little brother wasn’t that popular among his classmates. “I don’t know, Shuu. I don’t even do anything to get this.”

“Then... can I have it?”

Sho thought about it for a moment. What if Mai was right about someone who had this crush on him that this person would go all the way to spend their money on chocolates for him? He hummed, “You can have the chocolates. I’ll keep the letter.”

Shuu was out of the room in a flash with the box of chocolates in his hands. As soon as his brother was gone and out of hearing sight, Sho opened the letter. He read it out loud.

“To Sho,

I know this seems weird that I give you chocolates all the time, but I like you. Like, really really like you. When I first saw you, I was so stunned that I felt the need to give you something to show my feelings. But I can’t face you. I’m scared that you would reject me.

From your Secret Admirer.”

“Secret Admirer,” Sho repeated. So Mai was right after all. Before putting the letter away though, he noticed a tiny blue fishes at the bottom corners of the page. It must have been hand drawn, Sho thinks.

 

 

~*~


Sho assumed that his secret admirer was a girl since he never really saw any guys in particular giving him chocolates during Valentine’s Day. Ever since he received the box of chocolates with the letter, he kept receiving more of them. Sometimes, she would ask him how his day was and ramble on and on about their day as well. That way, Sho was able to learn more about his secret admirer. In a letter she once wrote, she mentioned that she went fishing with a couple of her friends and her dad. Must explain why she always drew fishes on the corners of the pages. Except the fishes weren’t blue this time around. It always changes colors.

 

 

~*~


It was an ordinary day at school, really, until the teacher suddenly announced that they have a new student in the middle of their lessons. Sho, uninterested, didn’t look up. All he heard was that the new student’s name was Ohno Satoshi and that he moved from the ocean to the city. He heard all the girls sigh though, so it must means that the student was good-looking.

By the time it was lunch, Sho remained in his seat. He had no use getting up since he barely had friends, and his lunch was already made. So he was used to eating alone while he read or simply looked outside through the window. It wasn’t until the new student though, came up to him. Sho didn’t look though because he was too busy reading. As soon as the new student sat down besides him, he smelt fish.

“Hi, I’m Ohno Satoshi.” Compared to earlier when the student introduced himself, Sho couldn’t hear his voice well. But when he was near him, he sounded like he woke up from a nap.

“I know,” Sho says. “I already got that down when you introduced yourself during class.”

“Oh yeah,” He laughs. “Do you mind if I eat lunch with you?”

Sho wanted to say yes, he minded, but instead he shrugged. The student who seemed too ignorant of how annoyed he was becoming, rubbed his chopstick together and began eating his lunch (that also smelled like fish).

The next day, Ohno sits next to him again. For the first time though, Sho finally looked at him in annoyance. The student was very tan, but he had this aura around him that Sho couldn’t explain. When the student looked up, he would smile at him sleepily with a rice on the corner of his mouth before resuming to eat.

 

 

~*~


“Why do you bother sitting next to me?” Sho asks the student one day when he was beginning to get tired of him. “Aren’t I too boring?”

“No. I think Sho-kun is interesting.”

Sho flinched when he heard the compliment. Him, interesting? “But I haven’t talked to you, not even once.”

“I know,” Ohno shrugged. “You really don’t have to talk because I don’t mind. I don’t talk a lot either... Oh! What do you have there?!”

For someone who doesn’t talk a lot, he sure seems nosy. “A bunch of letters. Someone keeps sending to me everyday.”

“D-Do you like it?”

Sho snapped his head. “What?”

“Nothing!” Ohno gasped, putting his head down immediately when Sho met his eyes.

 

 

~*~


Sho wasn’t supposed to be home early today since he had a project to work on after school, but he heads home anyways. He could do it by himself since none of his group members would do it. He was probably four houses away from his house when he sees someone dressed in suspicious black. When he realized what this person was doing, Sho ran towards the person, yelling.

“Hey, what do you think you’re--”

The person bolted right away at the sound of his voice and didn’t even look back so Sho could see who it was. He would run after the person, but whoever it was was just too fast. So he heads back home and stops short when he sees his mailbox. “Don’t tell me that person was my secret admirer...?”

Sho grabbed the box right away and headed to his room. As soon as he was sat in front of his desk, he ripped the thing open and saw that it was just the usual thing: a chocolate box and a letter. Putting the chocolates aside, he opened the letter up and read it out loud.

“Hi, Sho

I’ve been thinking... I want to reveal myself. I’m kind of scared though, but I can’t take it anymore. I always thought that I can keep it up with giving you only these letters and the chocolates... turns out I was wrong. I really want to talk to you in person...

Your Secret Admirer.”

 

 

~*~


“I think you should meet your secret admirer,” Ohno tells him one day.

“What makes you think that? And stop snooping,” Sho hissed, pulling the letters away from Ohno’s sight. “I honestly think that I shouldn’t. This person seems like a psycho.”

From the corner of his eyes, he saw a hurt expression on Ohno’s face, but it must have been his imagination because when he looked at him he was smiling. “No, I really think it’s a good idea, Sho-kun. It seems fun.”

Sho shook his head. “No. What if I die or something?”

“But you won’t know until you try Sho-kun.”

“I--”

Sho didn’t get to speak what’s on his mind when Ohno suddenly left.

 

 

~*~


Sho received another letter yet and saw that he was even given an place of where they should meet, plus it was on the same day too. He was really hesitant, wondering if he should go to see who this person really was. If he does go, he’ll bring Mai just in case. In the end, Sho goes because Ohno’s words ring in his head. Dammit.


They were supposed to meet at the park near his home, but the person still hadn’t shown up an hour from the intended time. Sho was supposed to know it was right away since this person said they were going to come dressed in light blue clothing. The longer he waited though, the more he felt like an idiot for coming. Just as he was about to get up, however, he saw someone familiar coming into view.

“Ohno?” Sho squinted his eyes to see if he was Ohno; he was. “What are you doing here?”

“Oh!” Ohno laughed. “Sho-kun, what a coincidence to see you here!”

“Yeah,” Sho agreed awkwardly, “It definitely is...”

“So what are you doing here?”

“Waiting for someone,” Sho says. “But this person hasn’t shown up yet.”

“Oh,” Ohno pouted.

“Yeah, o--” Sho paused for a moment, asking himself if he was insane. When he saw Ohno coming into view, he only saw his face because he knew him, but he didn’t notice just how blue his clothes were. “Ohno, are you--”

“Surprise!” Ohno beamed. “I’m your secret admirer!”

“But how? You lived far away and--”

“I saw you in the market one day, Sho, when you were buying fish with your parents. You didn’t notice me because I was in the back scaling the fishes and cleaning them for the customers.”

“I don’t even remember going to the market, I--” Oh yeah, they did. It was a day before Valentine’s Day. Damn. “Are you sure you’re just kidding? I mean you saw the letters plenty of times, and-- No, everything doesn’t make sense. I’m leaving.”

“Wha--”

Sho left Ohno standing by himself near the bench. However as Sho walked home (with Ohno following behind), he hated how his lips pulled into a smile. Maybe he shouldn't have thrown away all of those chocolate boxes...

TBC