3/4/13 -- Cookies (Part 1)

[365 Days Challenge- 1 word a day (2013)]

Title:Cookies (Part 1)
Pairings:ShoxAiba
Genre:Fluff, Preschool AU
Rating:G
Disclaimer:I own nothing but the plot
Word Count:1348
Summary:The problem is that Sho isn't like other kids. He'd rather bury his nose in books.

 


It was Sho's first day in preschool and he hated it. He hated the older women telling him what to do. He hated the other kids who did nothing but stare into space as mucus ran carelessly over their lips, while others cried for their moms. And he hated the fact that he wasn’t at home. He was starting to wonder if she didn’t want him for leaving him in this horrible place. The only time he could get away from all of them was when the women announced it was play time.

Sighing, he dragged his feet outside of the building and didn’t stop until he reached a lone tree. Besides it was a white bench that could probably fit about three kids, plus himself, if they were to sit on it. He looked around to see if anyone tried to come towards him; all of them seemed to pay more attention to the dirty playground. Seeing that none of them glanced his way, he sighed once more before he laid his body on the white bench.

He was unlike other kids, and anyone could see that. He preferred books, and clippings of newspaper articles he sometimes stole from his dad. Every word that he could read interested him so much even though he still couldn’t interpret the harder characters; his parents helped him read it. Though sometimes when he was too immersed on a text, his mom would scold him. It wasn’t because he was trying to read, but she was angry at him for not going out too much to play with other kids like him. But that’s the problem: he wasn’t like them at all.

Oh, how he wished he had one of his dad’s discarded newspapers right now. Even if he was reading a day old news, at least he gets to catch up and learn new words. Just as he was about to close his eyes to rest, he felt something sharp poke his cheek.

“Ow!” Sho yelped as he sat up and rubbed his cheek to ease the pain. He thought it was a bug bite that would probably leave an ugly mark, but it was just a kid who looked stupid with big shining eyes. When he tilted his head to the side, his short brown hair bounced along with his movements.

Sho scowled.“Go away.”

The boy didn’t seem to hear him and instead continued to stare as if he was an interesting bug. It made Sho more uncomfortable when he moved closer.

“Go away,” He repeated as he gently pushed his shoulder. Again, he didn’t move.

“I’m going to tell--”

Just as he was about to get up and tell on the boy, what seemed to be a cookie was forcefully shoved in his hands. It so felt greasy on his palms, he really had no appetite to eat unhealthy snacks since his mom forbid it in the first place. However, his nose told him differently. As he examined the cookie from angle to angle, he saw that it was just a simple chocolate chip cookie. It only took one sniff to make his stomach rumble. Without thinking, he took a bite and found himself in another different world filled with nothing but cookies dancing all around him.

“This is--” He was about to tell the boy that the cookie was the best sweet treat he had ever tasted, but he saw nothing as if he was never there.

After he ate the delicious cookie in a whim, he decided to find the cookie boy. He searched all over the playground, forcefully turned any boys who had short brown hair, and asked other kids if they had seen a boy with a box of cookies, or something, in his hand. All of them said they haven’t seen anyone like him, but they did react when they heard the word cookies.

The whole preschool area was small that he could easily find a lost valuable, but it was definitely hard to find a boy who was much bigger than an ant. The boy was nowhere to be found. He eventually gave up, retreated back to the bench, and laid his body flat against the painted wood. As he stared at the green leaves above him, he lifted his hands up to his face. He could still smell the scent of the cookie, but it was barely there, just like how the boy had disappeared out of nowhere...

Unfortunately, play time had to come to an end so he had no choice but to mix with other kids around him. He took his chance to look around for the boy, but he was short so he couldn’t see through the crowd of noisy kids. After taking one more look around, he headed back to his assigned classroom. Back to the boringness.

All they did in there was paint with their fingers on a huge white paper. There was no reading involved, no books, and no newspapers. None of anything that had words in them. Instead, all they had were buckets of paint, toys, and stuff other kids would find fun to play with. This wasn’t even a school at all. It was more of like a daycare.

Thankfully, all of those boringness ended soon and he was ready to go home. As he and the other kids all piled up on the front of the building, parents with huge smiles on their faces ran towards their children. He heard a mother almost cry because she claimed she missed her child, which of course wasn’t true because they were stuck here for half of the day. Other moms and dads were congratulating their kids for passing the first day without them. He wished his parents were like that.

Speaking of parents, his mom, the only one who dressed luxurious out of all the parents, came out the same black car they had used earlier. It seemed like her presence was important that everyone started to hush and walk away.

Sho clicked his tongue. “What took you so long? Our house isn’t that far from here.”

“Sho, honey, mom has--”

“Whatever.”

He walked off and ignored the hand his mother held out for him. He didn’t feel like holding her hand today, she might scold him for getting her hands greased. But he knows she doesn’t do that. She always laughed it off, or washed their hands together under the bathroom faucet. Just not today. Not when she left him in such a horrible place.

Once he sat on the back seat on the farther left, he helped himself with the seatbelt even though the chauffeur insisted on helping him. His mom was already besides him when he had the seat belt on. He knows just how much he had hurt his mom, and he didn’t know how to make her feel better. Instead, he grabbed his mom’s hand and held it. From the corner of his eyes, he saw a small smile form on her plump red lips. He smiled too and turned his head to face the window besides him.

The chauffeur was slow than usual. He usually speeds to the driver’s seat after he closed the door for his mom, but he took more than a second to arrive there. Though his mom didn’t seem to mind his pace.

“Where to, ma’am?” The chauffeur asked when he was finally seated on the driver’s seat.

“Home,” She says, her voice soft as a silk. “Nowhere special.”

At the same time the chauffeur turned the engine on, Sho wanted to tell him to stop. Just outside, across the street, was the same boy he had seen earlier had a box, that he failed to notice, on his hand. The other hand waved. Sho looked around and saw that no one waved back. He hadn’t realized that the boy waved at him until he saw those huge eyes stare at him through the dark window.

“Strange...” Sho whispered as his eyes followed the zooming scenery pass by. “But his cookies tasted good.”

TBC