4/13/13 -- Change (Part 13)

[365 Days Challenge- 1 word a day (2013)]

Title:Change (Part 13)
Pairings:JunxNino
Genre:Fluff
Rating:G
Disclaimer:I own nothing but the plot
Word Count:939
Summary:I didn't notice the change in me, but Jun did.

 


I’ve recovered fairly well, I think, since I last went to the hospital, and made sure that everyday Jun was still alive every waking moment. He reassured me thousands of times that he’s perfectly alive and promised me that I won’t see him lifeless on the floor of his apartment; I’m still anxious even though he tells me this everyday. He began to work again, so I was left alone for half of the day until around 1pm. Plus, stopped worrying about the idea of leaving me alone because he thinks I’m going to try and kill myself again -- I’ve already stopped that thinking about it, though.

I, on the other hand, was unemployed. I’ve quit long before I’ve lost Sho, and I refused to go back to work even until now since I don’t think there’s a reason for me to go back. Working as a sales clerk for a retail store was a waste of time. Eventually, I have to look for one. I can’t always depend on Jun so much since the man had to do live for himself, not babysit me. So I decided to pull myself to my feet and look for one when Jun’s still at work...



Since the past few months, I have never felt this tired before. All I did since Jun saved me was stay in his home and spend most of my time doing nothing but being useless. But after searching for a million of jobs today, I felt like I’ve dragged weight with me along the way. I’ve forgotten how finding a job was like... I laughed.

Me, laughing? It’s been ages since I did it. There was nothing funny, but there I was, laughing like a maniac in Jun’s kitchen. I held my stomach as I laughed harder and pounded my hands on the table.

“What’s so funny?”

I jumped from my chair and almost fell to the linoleum floor. “J-Jun?” I stammered, feeling like a idiot for being caught in a situation like this. “I didn’t hear you come in.”

“You were laughing hard, Nino. Of course you wouldn’t hear me. So tell me,” He pulls a chair so he and I were facing each other, “What’s so funny?”

“It’s--” I looked at the floor, “I can’t explain it, Jun, but I don’t know. I feel... different.”

“Different how?”

I shrugged. I really don’t know how to answer to his question. “I just do.”

“Well I’ve noticed,” Jun says. “You have been different, Nino. You smile often now, and you don’t try to run away when I talk to you about whatever.”

Have I really been like that?

I shrugged again. “I guess... So what’s for dinner?”



Jun and I stayed up all night, eating some of the snacks he made earlier before we agreed to watch a marathon of American movies. He fed the DVD mostly comedy movies, but I preferred ones with actions. I learned that he wasn’t a fan of action movies since he couldn’t stand watching blood splashing everywhere after watching only half of Kill Bill volume 1. So I just let him pick the movies for today, and for all of it, I heard myself laugh.



“You got the job.”

I had to blink my eyes twice and more after that. Did I really hear it right?”

“You’ve got the job,” the man, who owned one of the game stores I used to frequent as a kid repeats, “You have potential, Ninomiya-san. Plus, you’re the only one out of the people I interviewed this whole month who showed more knowledge about gaming.”

“I... I don’t know what to say...”

“Well... will you take it?”

I nodded my head seriously. “Yes, sir, I do!”

The man smiled. “Don’t call me that from now on. Just call me Masaki.”

I can’t want to get home to tell Jun about my new job...

“You got a job?!” Jun asked, his eyes widening in surprise and obvious delight for him. “Congrats!”

“Thanks,” I grinned as he patted me on the back like he would to a child.

To make my day even better, he hosted a mini party for me with only the two of us.



“You’ve changed,” Jun tells me a month later. He and I were eating in one of my favorite hamburger restaurants and he was treating me tonight since he got this month’s salary.

I hummed. “Have I really? I haven’t noticed.”

“Then tell me how you feel when I say his name... Sho.”

Was I supposed to freeze and drop everything I had in my hand, run away, and cry? Jun probably expected for that to happen. At the sound of Sho’s name, everything came back to me and I realized now how long ago that had happened. It felt like it was only a year, when really it’s only been three months, and I don’t remember feeling despondent in the last two months and a half.

But then I remembered being depressed for losing the only person I loved despite our ups and downs. I placed my hamburger down my plate and sighed.

“Does it still hurt?” Jun asked worriedly. “I’ll-- Ok, I’ll shut up now.”

“It’s not that, Jun. I honestly don’t know how I feel when you mention his name. I’m not even feeling anything at all right now.”

“Sho,” He repeated.

“Nothing,” I replied a second later. “Seriously nothing.”

“Then... do you want to visit him with his family tomorrow?”

“I... Ok. I will... As long as you come though.”

As soon as I picked up my hamburger, our talking and laughter resumed.

TBC