5/8/13 -- Sparks

[365 Days Challenge- 1 word a day (2013)]

Title:Sparks
Pairings:ShoxAiba
Genre:Fluff, (slight) Angst, Friendship
Rating:G
Disclaimer:I own nothing but the plot
Word Count:306
Summary:Sho doesn't have the ability to smile, but his friend does.
 


It was unlike anything he had seen before, much different from how he had seen it last. But it must be because Masaki was sitting besides him, smiling and laughing like it's the best thing to do at the moment. He tried to do the same, but he couldn't bring himself to do it. All he could do was watch with amazement as the sticks in their hands sparked in colorful flames. It felt different playing with firework sticks around Masaki compared to his own family.

"Isn't it beautiful?" Masaki's voice brought him back from his thoughts. "It's like a mini firework!"

"Yeah..." He agreed, slightly moving his stick away from Masaki's leg. He tried to make himself seem happy about -- which he was -- but he was not Masaki, who smiled so easily to everything. Masaki must have noticed me, he thought as he felt s slight shift besides him.

"Sho? What's wrong?"

"Nothing," he lied. When it came to Masaki, though, his friend knew when he was lying.

There was the sound of something metal hitting the gravels on the ground, followed by the shuffle of feet hitting the rocks around. All of a sudden, his stick, too, fell to the ground.

"Don't be sad, Sho!" Masaki said as he grabbed his hands (Masaki's hands were a bit small and thin compared to his). "You have me! We can play these everyday even if it isn't your birthday!"

Sho stifled his laughter as Masaki stared at him with confused eyes. Masaki may not resemble his father, but he was better than him; his friend never left his side. Well, a friend was better than nothing.

"Thanks," Sho sighed as Masaki gave him a auck embrace. "Are there more sparklers?"

With a huge grin, Masaki nodded his head. "There is enough for the future."

END