4/12/13 -- Glad (Part 11)

[365 Days Challenge- 1 word a day (2013)]

Title:Glad (Part 11)
Pairings:ShoxAiba, JunxOC, ShoxAibaxNino (friendship)
Genre:Fluff, AU, Angst, Friendship
Rating:PG
Disclaimer:I own nothing but the plot
Word Count:1140
Summary:It's finally the day for Masaki to choose whether or not he wants to stay with Sho and his family of 10 years.
 


He wondered what it would be like without Masaki in his life. The memories they made together, their family, and their bond... will that go away soon? Sho hoped it wouldn’t, but really he shouldn’t even be thinking about pessimistic thoughts at the moment as he promised himself earlier before they departed to the court. But as he sat outside, waiting, he heard the calm breathing of his brother. Sho smiled as he turned to face his brother.

Masaki noticed he was staring at him. “What?” He asked nervously, “Is there something on my face?”

“No.”

“Then what?”

“I’m just glad you’re here...”

At his words, Masaki’s smile brightened up like the sun. Sighing contentedly, he turned from his brother and closed his eyes.

How long will it be until Masaki will be my brother? 5...10...30 minutes?

“There you guys are!”

The sound of a familiar voice snapped him from his thoughts. As soon as he was back on Earth, he saw a weary Jun running towards them with their mother following closely behind him. She looked worried as well, but Sho noticed her eyes kept darting back and forth from them to Jun. It’s strange, Sho thought, how close they became since 10 years. He always thought that his mother only showed hatred towards Jun, but that lessened since he’s been coming to their house nearly everyday when he was free from work.

“We’ve been here, Jun,” He likes to call him that way since he saw him more of like a friend rather than an adult, “You called us earlier, remember?”

“I remember,” He snapped before turning towards Masaki with a soft look. “Are you ready, Masaki?”

Masaki shot him a hesitant glance to which Sho only replied with a smile. He wished he could tell Masaki not to give in to his biological father, but it was only selfish of him to do so. Masaki can choose whoever he wanted to be with.

“I’m ready,” Masaki says in a slightly shaky voice.



Sho watched anxiously as Jun kept shooting venomous question towards Masaki’s father. Really, he couldn’t blame him for his anger. The man had seen the horrible past himself, and spent years trying to help Masaki when he was assigned to their family case back then up till now. He’s been there all the time when Masaki came to their house, taking care of him and making sure that he grew up properly with love, care, and support. In a way, Jun was like Masaki’s second father (Masaki’s biological father was not included in Sho’s option).

“It’s been years, and look at him,” Jun says, pointing towards a calm Masaki sitting not far from them. “He grew up well without you in his life, and he was taken care of properly without your help. What makes you think you’re capable of taking care of Masaki?”

“I... He’s my son and I’ve always loved him even if he hates me at the moment,” was the only reply that came from the man’s mouth.

“I see. Your honor,” He turns to the judge, “May I have the permission to call Masaki-kun up?”

“Proceed.”

“Masaki-kun, will you?”

His brother stood up awkwardly amidst the serious silence that formed since the case began. Before he went up to where his father just sat, he glanced over his shoulder. Sho was able to meet his eyes.

“Masaki-kun, what do you think?” Jun asked him softly, “We haven’t had the opportunity to ask of your opinion yet.”

“I...” Masaki momentarily looked down and Sho was able to make out that his brother was fidgeting with his fingers. “I don’t know...”

“Masaki-kun,” Jun sighed, “Tell us your honest opinion. Do you agree with that man, or do you want to let everything stay as is?”

Masaki’s eyes darted from Sho to his biological father sitting at the table opposite where he sat earlier. Sho can see that Masaki was confused and was unsure of how to answer to Jun. He wished that he was up there to guide him.

“I...” Masaki finally spoke, taking a deep breath as he closed his eyes. “I want to stay with Sho-nii...”

Sho didn’t know whether to be glad of Masaki’s answer or not. However, he stared at his brother wide-eyed with mixed emotions mixing in his body.

“I promised mama long ago I would take care of papa,” Masaki continued, “And that I won’t leave him no matter what he does. But I really don’t know... I just feel like it’s right to be with Sho-nii and his family. I don’t want to leave everything behind.”

Sho noticed the look of relief in Jun’s face for a second before it disappeared right away. “Are you sure, Masaki-kun?”

His brother nodded.

Jun turned to face the judge. “Your honor...?”

The judge looked at him sternly, at Masaki’s father, then Masaki before sighing. Throughout it all, Sho never paid attention to her, but seeing her face after Masaki made a decision, she had a sympathizing look on her face. He always though judges were strict even if the person was a woman. They were to wait for ten minutes, so they were given that much for a short recess.

“How was it?” Sho asked as soon as he met up with Masaki.

“Nerve-racking,” Masaki whispered, a sheepish smile forming on his face. “I’m kind of scared, though, Sho-nii. Do you think I made the right decision?”

He wanted to say yes, but instead he told him that the decision was Masaki’s and not his.

Masaki smiled as he grabbed for his hand and squeezed it. “Thanks.”



He couldn’t believe it. It’s already been hours since the case ended, but Masaki was still his brother. He thought for sure that Masaki was going to pick his father over Sho’s family, but it didn’t end up that way. He was there the whole time to hear Masaki make his decision, but thinking about it now... he felt like he wasn’t there at all to hear it. Maybe it was his head being funny? No, certainly not. He could hear Masaki’s cheery laughter after Nino told them a joke, and he could feel his brother’s warmth against him. When Nino finally left late in the evening, Sho held his brother.

“Wha-- Sho-nii?” Masaki laughed, though he didn’t pull away. “What are you hugging me for?”

“I’m glad,” Sho says, finally deciding that he was after all. “That you’re here.”

“Me too... Shall we go down for dinner now? Mama and Papa must be worried.”

“Yeah,” He said, pulling away with a smile. “Let’s.”

On their way to the backyard, where on days their family sometimes have dinner together, Sho grabbed his brother’s hand and held it tight.

TBC