10/9/13 -- Shelter (Part 1/50)

[365 Days Challenge- 1 word a day (2013)]

Title:Home Sweet Home: Shelter
Pairing/Characters:AibaxNino, JunxNino, Kaze, ShoxOC / Ohno
Genre/Rating:Angst, Fluff, Friendship, Romance / G
Word Count:489
Disclaimer:I own nothing but the plot
Summary:I’ve lost count of how many children entered this place we all call our home, and how many children there were altogether. Honestly, I didn’t know half of the children here anymore.
Warning:Character death
 



A brief yawn escaped through my mouth as I rubbed away the tiredness dragging my eyes down with the back of my hand. There hadn’t been a day where I could get a peaceful night of sleep because a new kid came in, and all I could hear at night was soft sobbing besides me. I wished the nuns would stop using the spare bed besides me as a temporary bed for the newbie.

Instead of going back to sleep, I got out of bed and gingerly walked past of the row of beds. From where I was, thought, I could still hear the boy’s soft sobs. I couldn’t blame him. We all lost our parents, or neither them wanted us. I knew how he felt, and I knew I should have said something, but I didn’t know what to say. Sighing, I escaped into the night.

It was quiet, and I liked it that way; save for the crickets chirping so loudly like they were the music at night. Still, I remained on the window’s ledge and kept my gaze fixed on the city beyond the manor gates. The city was still and I could barely spot a soul. But my interest got caught a shady person walking out a building. He wore a black trench coat and one of those hats that Sherlock Holmes would wear. The man briefly stopped for a second, looked from left to right before crossing the streets. I wondered if he had a mom, or a dad, or both in that building, or somewhere else in the world and thought of how lucky he was...

Then my eyes went to the manor gates and saw that it was opened wide as usual. I always wondered why it was never closed and thought that the nuns were careless at their jobs. But last year, around late August or early September, I saw a woman holding a huge basket rushing from the city, past the gates, and disappeared below the ledge that blocked my view. I remembered hearing the loud, yet gentle knocks that I could even hear it from the second floor. Then I heard the cries of a baby that was louder than her knocks, yet now a kid got up in the middle of the night because we got used to it. By then, she left as quickly as the soft summer breeze… I eventually grew fond of Jun since then; I was able to name him because I was there first and was put in charge of looking after him.

It wasn’t the first for me to see this, though, because I always sat there at the nights I couldn’t sleep. I’ve lost count of how many of us entered this place we all call our home, and how many of us there were altogether. Honestly, I didn’t know everyone here anymore as a new face comes in every day.

TBC