11/14/13 -- Missing (Part 37/50)

[365 Days Challenge- 1 word a day (2013)]
Title:Home Sweet Home: Missing
Pairing/Character:AibaxNino, JunxNino, Kaze, ShoxOC / Ohno
Genre/Rating:Angst, Fluff, Friendship, Romance / G
Word Count:1188
Disclaimer:I own nothing but the plot
Summary:I fell down to my knees and I felt as if the world had suddenly exploded.
Warning:Character death


A week had passed since Masa was admitted to the hospital. By then, despite what had happened, Jun and I tried our best to make things seem normal: Jun went back to school and even joined afterschool clubs to occupy himself (he admitted to me that it was to keep his mind off of Masa), while I went back to school myself and tried even harder in my classes. And for that whole week, Masa seemed to get a bit better, but he refused to talk to either of us except his little brother, Yusuke, who has been visiting him every day.

I wished that Masa could talk to us again, smile, and laugh and pretend that everything was going to be alright. But how could it? Masa was sick and there was nothing in the world that could—I shook my head. I believed that there is something that could cure him of his sickness, a panacea of some sort and I wanted to find it for Masa.

Earlier today, I remembered how he brought his flowers over from the greenhouse back at the Manor into our own greenhouse at the backyard. Every day for three years, he never stopped tending to them and worried about them every season. Then I thought that maybe, just maybe it would help cure Masa of his smile again.

After Yusuke had greeted me with an awkward hello (I didn’t mean to eavesdrop, but I heard Masa tell him about our relationship), he left and said something about pudding and Masa. I grinned, knowing very well that Masa had asked him to get him pudding, probably chocolate flavored.

“I brought you your flowers from the greenhouse,” I told him as I walked to his bedside. He wasn’t facing me, but when I heard him sigh I could tell that he was smiling a bit. I don’t know what it is, but it’s as if we could read each other so easily. I knew, though, that he wasn’t going to talk to me so I took the green vase on the bedside table, threw away the withering flowers and added in more water from the bathroom sink. After putting the roses inside of the vase, I set it back down and sat on the stool beside Masa’s bed.

I stared at him and wondered how long we’ve been friends. For thirteen years, maybe? Or fourteen? Either way, I smiled and remembered all the good and fun times we had together, and how there was never a bad day for us. If there was, we’d always turn it into a good day, no matter the risk. But when Masa and I finally confessed our feelings to each other in high school, right after we decided to be together forever, things changed. Masa and I still got along well, but there were those times when Masa would just push me away and tell me to leave him alone for a week… Was his sickness the reason why he did that? It probably was because he knew we would both be hurt… But how could I have known that he was suffering by himself when he wouldn’t let me in? Despite that, though, Masa hadn’t changed. He never liked it when anyone was hurt and he would rather be hurt himself than let others suffer for it. Which is why he was such a forgiving soul and I admired him for that.

“Do you hate me?”

I snapped out of my thoughts, when finally I heard Masa speaking directly to me, but he didn’t turn to face me. I frowned. How could I ever hate the man I love so dearly? “No. I don’t, Masa. I loved you. Jun and I love you very much.”

“I…I know, but you must hate me right? Because I kept this a secret and you had to find out like this…”

“Masa…”

“Remember the week when I started coughing?”

I nodded, although Masa couldn’t see me.

“Well…” Masa sighed, and finally he turned to face me. He was beginning to cry and I brought my hand to his cheek. “Sakurai-sensei saved me the day before when he saw me walking to some place you, Jun and I hadn’t ventured to yet. I thought that if I found an awesome place that could be our hideout, no one will find us.

But when I went inside, it was so dusty… I couldn’t breathe and I passed out I don’t know for how long… Next thing I knew… I saw Sakurai-sensei’s face and I was in the infirmary. He said I’ve inhaled asbestos and he didn’t know how much was in me…

“Then it began, when I started coughing. I thought it wasn’t serious until… until…”

Masa choked as he cried and all I wanted to do was hug him, but he was pushing me away again.

“You must hate me,” Masa said again as he turned around. “I even hate myself for it.”

“Masa…”

“Nii-san, I have your— Oh…”

I turned around and saw Yusuke holding a cup filled with chocolate pudding. I just wanted to grab it from him and feed Masa myself, but I felt like I wasn’t needed. Sighing, I turned around and walked from the room. Even if Masa told me about his story, there was no way that I’m going to hate him. I still loved him no matter what… But why was he pushing me away?...

“Kazu-nii! Wake up!”

I slowly opened my eyes when I saw a worried Jun shaking me from side to side. “What is it?” I groaned as I sat up and the lights.

“Masa-nii… he...”

My eyes widened as I stared at the tears falling from Jun’s face. No…No… It can’t be… It’s too soon! I immediately told the preteen to put on a sweater and socks. After we were somewhat dressed, I dragged him to my car and I drove us to the hospital at a fast speed. So what if I get caught by the police for speeding?! I yelled inside my head. Right now, Masa’s my priority and nothing was going to stop me. Thankfully, there wasn’t a police in sight and we made it there in less than five minutes…

I ran up the stairs, dragging Jun along with me, because I was impatient to wait for the elevator. I could hear a nurse shouting after me, telling me that visiting hours were over, but I didn’t care. I needed to confirm if Masa… If Masa… I couldn’t continue my thoughts, afraid that I was going to lose it right here, right now. Instead, I put on a brave front and—

Once the door slid open, I saw a distraught Yusuke crying beside the empty bed and nurses and doctors discussing something in the other corner, while the others three pity glances at the young boy and towards the both of them as they entered.

“What…”

“I’m sorry, Ninomiya-san… but Aiba-san disappeared and we can’t find him…”

I fell down to my knees and I felt as if the world had suddenly exploded.
 
TBC