3/22/13 -- Temporary (Part 7)

[365 Days Challenge- 1 word a day (2013)]

Title:Temporary (Part 7)
Pairings:ShoxAiba, JunxOC
Genre:Fluff, Preschool AU, Angst, Friendship
Rating:PG
Disclaimer:I own nothing but the plot
Word Count:1671
Summary:Sho was disappointed when he found out that Masaki's stay will only be temporary.
 


His happiness only lasted for a second longer when Jun dropped by after his long period of absence. As soon as he came in, he asked both of his parents to speak to him. It seemed urgent judging by the look of seriousness on his face, but it didn’t seem like his mom wanted to hear it, or didn’t want to get close to him. After what seemed like a minute of hesitation, she eventually stood by his father’s side as Jun began to speak -- in hushed tones, of course.

In turn, Sho immediately clamped his mouth shut. It wasn’t his intention to eavesdrop at all, but he couldn’t help it. Every time he kept glancing over his shoulder, they would give him a quick look before whispering to each other again. He tried to figure out what those looks meant if they were a good or bad thing. Unfortunately, he was unable to hear a word they were saying or interpret what their looks meant. He was too focused on his brother who had fallen asleep once again.

“Sho, honey, can you come here?”

Finally, his mother called him up. He was dying to know what they were talking about. “Yes, mom?”

Matsumoto-san,” Sho noticed how she stressed his name a bit, “Informed that Masaki-kun’s stay is temporary.”

Just as she was about to speak up again, Sho held up his hand. A few weeks ago, he had encountered the word temporary in some news article. Upon seeing the word of interest, he decided to look it up in the dictionary. Although he knew what the word meant, he wasn’t sure if his mom was using the right word. He spoke up in a low voice considering that he was confused of her choice of word. “Don’t you mean he’s permanently staying with us? You and dad even said so. Right dad?”

His father gave a brief grunt in response whereas his mother looked at him with her doe-like eyes. It was as if she was already sympathizing the loss of his brother. “I’m sorry, honey,” She apologized as she bent down so they were eye to eye, “Masaki-kun’s father is still in trial at the court...”

“He should have been thrown in jail already!” Sho yelled angrily as tears began to form in his eyes. “He shouldn’t even be Masaki’s father in the first place...”

“It’s the court,” Jun claimed, “They still haven’t come up with a decision whether to put him in jail or not. Besides, he is the only blood relations Masaki-kun has... how do you think he would react if his father was thrown in jail?”

Sho shrugged thoughtlessly since he recalled that he’s never thought of Masaki’s feelings besides his own. He guessed, “Happy?”

“Or how his father will feel for not being by his son’s side?”

“I don’t know!” Sho fumed as he threw his arms around in anger. “Why are you asking me this?! I just want Masaki to be my brother and that’s all.”

The questions Jun threw on his face overwhelmed him compared to a list of sentences he was asked to recite out loud. How was he supposed to know all of this?! He was just-- Sho frowned. Of course he wouldn’t know. He grew up with a father who was there for him no matter the circumstances, and he really couldn’t ask for another. He tried to imagine himself in Masaki’s shoes for second, but he couldn’t bring himself to do it; he was afraid that he’ll get hurt like Masaki too.

Sho casted a look towards his temporary brother and sighed disappointedly. It would be really fun if Masaki were to grow up with him to discover new things as his brother. But at least he gets to stay for a while. That’s fun too, right? He twisted around to face the adults. He looked at both his mom, his dad, then at Jun hoping that they were just joking around with him. However, the stern expressions on their faces told him they weren’t going to laugh anytime soon.

“Fine,” He sighed dejectedly as he glanced at Masaki again. “But his bed goes in my room...”



Sho wished he can take Masaki with him to preschool. That way, he can spend much more time with him before Masaki’s time was up, and maybe, just maybe, he can (secretly) feed him some of his cookies. Speaking of cookies, Sho remembered asking him who made it. If Masaki’s mother was gone, was it his father who made it for him?

“Impossible!” He yelled out loud, startling a few of his classmates from afar (maybe he belonged to the group playing in the sand castles). There was no way Masaki’s father would have made those cookies. He was too much of a cruel man to make such cookies that gave him the feelings of love and sweetness. Just the thought of that cruel man making those cookies that he ate disgusted him and made him feel a bit sick to the stomach.

But the questioned remained. Who made those wonderful cookies? Sho will just have to ask Masaki when he gets home later...



Sho didn’t immediately rush into his room, afraid that he’ll startle Masaki. Instead, he peeked a little into his room as he slowly pushed the door open. Thankfully enough, Masaki was lying down on his bed looking calm and collected as if an annoying fly wouldn’t bother him.

“Masaki?” He called for his temporary brother as he took small steps towards his bed. “Can I ask you a question?”

Once he saw the latter nod his head, he asked him the question that had bothered him all day. Masaki didn’t reply right away and instead looked at him with those huge brown eyes of his. Sho tried to look for the answers in those eyes, but it didn’t seem to have anything in there. Nothing but his own reflection.

“Is it a neighbor?” Sho asked, hoping that by doing so Masaki can answer. “Perhaps... Matsumoto-san?”

“F...”

He leaned in closer to Masaki’s bedside when he heard him strain out a single consonant. “A friend?” Sho asked rather disappointingly. So he wasn’t Masaki’s first friend? But why would he worry over that? Masaki can have as many friends as he wants to, even if he made them before they became friends.

“Fa..”

“Fa... what?”

“Fat...”

“A fat man?”

“Fath.. er...”

Like he did with his mom yesterday, he held his hand up although Masaki continued to mutter something Sho couldn’t understand. What was wrong with everybody? Why was everyone using the wrong term these days? Sho was so sure that someone like Masaki’s father doesn’t make those kinds of cookies. He and the cookies were just... too different.

“Fa...ther... m-made... it...”

“A-are you sure?”

Masaki nodded his head as something like a small smile formed on his lips. Sho tried not to feel sick when he saw how happy Masaki looked. “Y-yeah... Papa makes... goo-d... coo...kies...”

“I don’t believe it,” Sho retorted, “I won’t believe it.”

“What won’t you believe?”

Sho whirled around to see that Jun was standing by the doorway. He wasn’t wearing a formal suit today and his casual clothing made him look even younger. He was immediately reminded of his own father who looked ten times younger on days he didn't wear a suit. Sho frowned. He didn't feel like having a chat with the man who claimed he had no power whatsoever to throw Masaki's father in jail.

The man smirked. "Is there some sort of secret being shared here?"

"No."

"But you look pale and I can't ignore that. Are you ok, Sakurai-kun?"

"What's it to you?" He grumbled. "I'll feel better if you put his father in jail."

"I'm sorry, I--"

"Save it," Sho interrupted him. "I already know your answer. "

Jun eventually shut his mouth allowing Sho to listen in to what Masaki was saying. However, his friend went silent on him, only making sounds when he breathed in deeply through his mouth. His eyes went back to staring at the window that was covered by red curtains. On the other hand, Jun remained and lingered in his room.

"Do you have something else to say?" He asked the man who sat besides his bookcase further from his and Masaki's bed.

"You won't cut me off this time right?"

"Might not. Depends."

"Well, I visited the court today a--"

"Great," Sho muttered sarcastically as he rolled his eyes.

"And I've received a good news. It won't be for Masaki but for you it is," Jun continued. "You promise you won't cut me off this time."

Sho groaned impatiently. "I promise, geez! Just go on."

"It has been decided that Masaki's father is sentenced in jail for -- Ah! You promised," Jun cut himself off right when Sho was about to, and since he kept his promise, he tried to keep his mouth closed. "--10 years. He even admitted that he's been doing it since Masaki turned 1."

"So... Masaki can stay for that long?!"

"Yes."

Sho grinned and it got wider the more he thought about living with Masaki for a long time. "Oh my-- yes! Thank you, Matsumoto-san! I think I'm feeling better now."

"Good," Jun smiled all the same, "I'll be downstairs with your mother." With that said, Jun left.

As soon as his door was closed, Sho yelled at the top of his lungs as he threw his arms in the air. Masaki seemed startled for a bit but it looked like he was attempting to laugh. He was glad that Masaki was still happy, or is it because he didn't hear about his father being sentenced to jail? Either way, Sho was excited. He could do so many things with Masaki and he even has a father and mother now too! And a brother as well.

"We're going to have fun," Sho told his brother. "With mama and papa too, of course."

TBC