11/6/13 -- Red (Part 29/50)

[365 Days Challenge- 1 word a day (2013)]
Title:Home Sweet Home: Red
Pairing/Character:AibaxNino, JunxNino, Kaze, ShoxOC / Ohno
Genre/Rating:Angst, Fluff, Friendship, Romance / G
Word Count:728
Disclaimer:I own nothing but the plot
Summary:My impatience got the better of me. Without another word, I left him and walked off into the city…
Warning:Character death


It’s been a week since Masa started coughing. The first day, he coughed wildly, but I wasn’t there to witness it and he didn’t tell me until he was sent home from school. I asked him what had happened and he just said that it was a cold. I wasn’t worried then because I believed him.

But a few days later, it hadn’t gone away. I insisted on visiting the hospital, but Masa refused and stayed in bed for the whole day, but I still persisted on it. However, I grew impatient and Masa’s stubbornness was getting the better of him. Without thinking, I yelled at him.

“What if it was something serious?!”

“It’s not,” Masa coughed. “Sakurai-sensei already said that it’ll go away soon.”

“But Masa… you’re losing weight and that coughing is getting worse.”

“It—“ Masa coughed wildly once again and I couldn’t stand it anymore. Just as I was about to run to his side, however, he threw a pillow towards me and told me to leave him alone. I didn’t want to because I didn’t want anything to happen to him, but he kept telling me to leave him alone and to go away.

My impatience got the better of me. Without another word, I left him and walked off into the city…

I came rushing home when I realized how long I’ve left Masa. Three, four hours? I lost track. I was so stupid to have left him alone and I was just being an idiot. However, as soon as I got home, I saw Masa in the kitchen.

“Why are you—“

“I’m fine,” Masa said without turning around. “My coughing stopped earlier. We’re having steak for dinner tonight.”

“No, Masa, you should still be in bed. Sakurai-sensei said—“

“I said I’m fine,” Masa interrupted me and this time he turned around to face me. He was smiling again and his face had more color. Although he still seemed fine now, I was still worried.

“Masa… I’m sorry for leaving you.”

“It’s fine. It was my fault for telling you to go away.”

“But it was mine because I—“

Masa shrugged and turned around to resume his cooking. “It’s fine. Just pick up Jun from school.”

“I—OK.”

I didn’t want to make things worse for Masa so I went to pick up Jun. Just as I was about to take my leave, however, I stopped short when I saw a tissue covered in blood in the trashcan and noticed that it was still fresh. I narrowed my eyes. “Masa, what is this?” I asked him when I picked up the tissue from the trash.

He turned around and I saw his eyes widen before he turned around again. “I cut myself,” he said. “See?” He held up a hand and I hadn’t noticed at all that his hand was bandaged. Worried, I rushed over to his side and hugged him from behind.

“You’ve got to be more careful!” I scolded him and pulled away. “Look at me, Masa.”

“But I’m—“

“Look at me.”

He finally turned around after he lowered down the fire. Masa wasn’t looking me straight in the eyes as if what he had done made him feel guilt, but I grabbed his chin and made him face me. Without another word, I gently grabbed for his injured hand and kissed his bandaged palm where it was seeping red.

Masa smiled a little and it made my heart flutter.

“I’ll make sure that never happens,” I told him quietly. “For now on, I’ll be the one to cook.”

“But your cooking is horrible,” Masa laughed jokingly. “Remember the meat loaf you burned last month?”

Of course he remembers. It was a horrible experience for him and the house smelt of burnt meat loaf for a week. “Then I’ll learn,” I said to reassure him.

“Good,” Masa lightly punched me on the shoulder with his uninjured hand. “Don’t you have to pick up Jun right about now?”

“Oh crap!” I exclaimed as the image of an angry Jun flashed in my mind. “Thanks for reminding me, Masa. I’m gonna go now.” Before I left, I quickly pecked Masa on his lips.

What I hadn’t been aware of at that time was that Masa had lied to me about the blood. But how would I have known?
 
TBC