10/15/13 -- Guardian (Part 7/50)

[365 Days Challenge- 1 word a day (2013)]

Title:Home Sweet Home: Guardian
Pairing/Character:AibaxNino, JunxNino, Kaze, ShoxOC / Ohno
Genre/Rating:Angst, Fluff, Friendship, Romance / G
Word Count:814
Disclaimer:I own nothing but the plot
Summary:I don’t know why I frowned when I thought of him getting adopted into a new family.
Warning:Character death
 


 

I tapped my fingers on the base of Jun’s exposed stomach as I waited for Aiba. He was called in from the manor during school hours and hadn’t been back since, not even to get tonight’s homework. I questioned, wondered, and ponced what the eldest nun wanted with Aiba, but then I remembered who we are, and where we were.

Last year, nearly a month before Jun’s arrival, I was called in, just like Aiba had been. I remembered how nervous I was, how excited, yet afraid to face my future parents that by the time I came face to face with them, I could barely say a word. They tried getting me to talk by asking all sorts of questions like “What do you do for fun?” or “Who’s your favorite author?” or “Do you play instruments?” I could have answered all the questions in a whim, but my mouth stayed shut. I just knew, when our interview was over, that they wouldn’t pick me when they smiled at me with pity. In the end, I was still stuck in the manor and was rarely called up for those interviews…

“Jun, say it again,” I pleaded. Last week, Aiba told me that Jun had clearly said “Kazu” that he even had witnesses to prove it. I would have been there to hear it to believe it, if it weren’t for Sakurai-sensei calling me in for a month check-up on my health. That was always an issue with the doctor. When there were special events, particularly one that I liked to be in, he always called me in on that specific day. I wouldn’t blamed him because it was not on purpose, but the man should at least be informed.

I waited for Jun to say my name, but he turned his head towards me and babbled, “Dadadadada” in a rush that it almost sounds as if he’s saying the English word “dad.” I sighed in disappointment as I poked at the toys that Aiba made for Jun (he gave it as a late birthday present when he asked me about Jun).

“You’re lucky,” I told Jun, although he probably doesn’t understand what I’m saying. Jun came here, barely a day old, as a baby unlike when I came here at 7, scared, alone, and tired of everything. I didn’t have anyone but the nuns to guide me and some older kids who eventually left me along to figure out everything myself. At least Jun would be able to grow up alongside me and Aiba, that is if no one adopts him. Just as I was about to ask Jun to say my name again, Aiba came in the nursery with a happy grin.

“Kazu, I have good news!” I don’t know why I frowned when I thought of him getting adopted into a new family. I just hope that he doesn’t say that he’d found a better home. “Father Ohno gave me a new task.”

Oh. I sighed in relief as he took a seat besides Jun. “What’d he say?”

“Follow me, I’ll show you.”

I left Jun with the other rugrats for today and trailed closely behind Aiba. Once he and I had on our winter wear, we headed outside, back to where we had planted the huge brown seed. Except this time, snow blanketed the whole field and it was hard to figure out exactly where we planted it. Aiba ran anyways, until he stopped, and fell on his back. I looked at him oddly, but then he pulled me down so I was lying besides him.

“Have you ever made snow angels before?”

“No,” I replied simply, but I bit back my tongue when I wanted to say “it’s because there was no reason to.”

“Well, today’s your lucky day.”

We made a few angels throughout the field until we’ve ran out of space. That was when he told me about his and Father Ohno’s plan for spring. He told me about how he and Father Ohno, also if Jun and I wanted to come, would go to town to buy seeds that they would plant all around the brown seed Aiba and I planted. Flowers, Aiba said, and all different kinds of flowers would grow all over it.

“So… does that mean you’re staying?” I asked him a while after as we stared out into the acre of trees.

“What?”

“Ah, nothing. Never mind.”

“Kazu, of course I’m staying.”

I looked up in surprise when Aiba took my hands in his and held tightly onto it as if I’m the one that’s leaving. “I would never leave you or Jun.”

A relieved smile made its way on my face as we stood up and walked to another empty field. we both fell on our backs, laughing at each other as we sunk into three inches of snow.

TBC