5/1/13 -- Eyes

[365 Days Challenge- 1 word a day (2013)]

Title:Eyes
Characters:Nino, Sho
Genre:(fail) Horror
Rating:G
Disclaimer:I own nothing but the plot
Word Count:1046
Warning:Character death
Summary:Nino has been having trouble sleeping.
 


It was barely past midnight when Ninomiya Kazunari came home that night, exhausted and out of breath. Lately, his company had been in this collaboration project with another top business in Japan, Sakurai industries. Their project was to create a whole new entire mall for anyone to enjoy for leisure and tourist attraction. However, every plan that his group came up with and the other business’s group, planning hasn’t been great. Plans were rejected, scrapped, or either thrown away. Since then, Nino had to stay up sacrificing sleep hours just for the project that was due within that year.

All he wanted to do was sleep and bring his body back to internal peace. He hasn’t had any of that lately since his average sleep hours were three to four hours a night. Though at times he was able had that moment of peace, he was strangely uncomfortable since the business’s collaboration with Sakurai industries. Every night, as soon as he came home from work, he laid on his bed, trying to get some shut eye. But his hopes of sleeping has failed him. The only times he ever has real sleep was at work during break time.

Insomnia, maybe? He read of many articles about sleep disorders, and so far, insomnia was somewhat close to his condition.

After brushing his teeth for a good five minutes, Nino immediately headed to his bedroom, hoping that this time he can fall asleep. As soon as he was under his covers, all snuggled up and comfortable, Nino closed his eyes. Usually, within moments, he would have fallen asleep, but it seems that sleep, yet again, failed to come.

This is definitely a problem, he thought to himself as he opened his eyes and stared at the ceiling. I should probably make an appointment to the doctor’s office...

Just as he was about to attempt another try, however, his eyes immediately opened. There was a breeze, a shallow breeze, that passed over his body. It felt like any normal breeze, but something was off. Nino snapped his head up and turned to see if he left the window open. The curtains had not moved, or stirred from the entrance of the breeze, but it laid flat against the window; his door was closed as well. He looked to and from for a while longer, trying to understand what just happened. However, his eyes were beginning to droop and he was for sure this time that sleep was present.

He decided to shrug it off.



“If I were you, I would keep my lights on every night when I go to sleep. It will keep him, away,” One of the team members whispered to another member.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” The other member asked, the same question Nino had on his head.

“I’m just saying,” The first woman says. “And don’t say I didn’t warn you.”



Nino came back from work, an hour early before midnight struck. He decided to eat late dinner since he was unable to eat proper lunch at work that afternoon. He ate his microwaved frozen-dinner in front of the TV, watching a few channels that had interesting shows on at this hour. He can only find late night news, most of them were talking about a serial killer who takes their victims eyes out before murdering them. Since dinner was only a little bit that night, Nino finished within twenty minutes. After putting everything away, cleaning up after himself and washing up for a bit, he headed to his bedroom.

Last night -- more like a few hours ago -- had been the best nights he had of sleep. He laid on his bed, exactly the same way he did last night, to get that same result. Once he closed his eyes... a few minutes later, he opened them. Just as he expected, he won’t be able to get sleep again. Sighing, he turned to his left so he was facing the curtains. Maybe just lying in the bed with his eyes closed, would motivate his body to shut down. As he did so, however, within a few minutes he felt a cool breeze.

His head immediately snapped up. It was the same breeze he felt the night before, but this time it was different. He could feel it circulate around him as if the wind was attracted to him. Out of instinct, Nino panicked. He remembered closing his bedroom door, and the windows were obviously closed. He wanted to reach for his lights, to see what was going on, but he was frozen.

Then he heard it, loud, yet soft, whispers. It’s voice was unlike any humans, but Nino can only pick up one word. ’Eyes,’ the wind whispered. ‘Eyes.’

Upon hearing those words, Nino closed his. However, as soon as they closed, the breeze suddenly stopped. Slowly and cautiously, Nino opened his eyes. Although it was dark, he can clearly see well from the moonlight that shone through his window. He looked around, trying to find something that was wrong, but everything was normal. However, his eyes stopped somewhere. It was near the corner of his window where the moonlight doesn’t reach, the darkest space of all in his room.

That was when Nino saw it, eyes that were staring back at him. It was the color of blood...



A neighbor reported within minutes of a blood-curling scream coming from their neighbors...



“Sakurai-san’s successor, his son Sakurai Sho, was supposed to take over,” a woman says the next day to a team member. “But he died from an accident. How unfortunate since he was only young. But he was blind, you see, and he only wanted nothing but eyes from the gifts his father gives him. He eventually became greedy, so he haunts people who have pretty eyes...”

The second woman shuddered. “Were you trying to warn me of that last night?”

The first woman nodded.

“But that was just a warning. You don’t even have pretty eyes since you wear glasses.”

The second woman blushed. “True, but...”

“Hey,” The first woman interrupted, “Have you seen Ninomiya-san? He was supposed to be here an hour ago.”

“Maybe he’s running late.”

END