10/14/13 -- Snowfall (Part 6/50)

[365 Days Challenge- 1 word a day (2013)]

Title:Home Sweet Home: Snowfall
Pairing/Character:AibaxNino, JunxNino, Kaze, ShoxOC / Ohno
Genre/Rating:Angst, Fluff, Friendship, Romance / G
Word Count:612
Disclaimer:I own nothing but the plot
Summary:But with Aiba, it was different and I’ve completely forgotten about my feelings towards winter.
Warning:Character death
 


 

Aiba woke me up first thing in the morning, but I wanted to sleep some more. I tried waving him away and I kicked at my sheets to tell him to stop. However, I wasn't the only one getting bothered. Everyone in our room clamored from the racket Aiba was causing by his loud whisper, and it worsened when I heard Jun crying in the far corner of the room. I immediately got up right away and dragged my feet in my half asleep state towards Jun's crib. I whispered soft words for Jun to calm down as I gently rocked him back and forth like a gentle wave, and it worked like magic once he stopped crying.

"But Kazu, you have got to look!" Aiba exclaimed and he wished that he didn't have to speak so loud when he was right next to him. "It's-"

"Snow!" One of the kids, I think his name was Maruyama, or something like that, interrupted Aiba. At the sound of that single word, everyone rushed to every window, sighing in amazement while Aiba ran and sulked on his bed. "But I wanted Kazu to see it first..."

Silly Aiba.

"Oi," I thumped him lightly on the head. "I'm not the only one worth seeing the snowfall first. You've already seen it first anyway so what's the point?"

"Because... You're my best friend."

If Aiba was looking at me right now, he would have seen me staring at him like a tarsier, some big-eyed animal Aiba had told me about. Best friend? The word sounded new to me, although I’ve heard a few of the girls at school say it proudly to their other friends. I suddenly felt like giggling like those girls and calling Aiba my best friend too, but I held it back because I’d only sound and look stupid. Instead, I tapped him on the shoulder as an idea popped into my head.

He sniffled as he turned around to face me. “Yeah?”

“Follow me,” I grinned as I offered my hand to him.

“Kazu, where-”

I hushed him, telling him to be quiet so the others wouldn’t hear us sneaking out. Once Aiba, Jun and I were thickly dressed, we tip toed until we reached the kitchen backdoor. None of us were allowed back here, not even during daylight hours, or at night because the nuns and fathers forbid us to. But because there were so many of us, it was hard to keep track of where we were. Besides, this wasn’t my first time sneaking out at night. Once we were out, snowflakes easily fell on top of us. Jun almost cried from the cold touch if it weren’t for Aiba blowing his warm breath on Jun’s tiny hands. I silently thanked him as I tightly wrapped someone else’s jacket around Jun.

“Kazu, come here,” Aiba whispered as he leaned back, held his arms out, and pointed his face towards the dark sky. It was very dark, too dim to see Aiba’s face, but when he smiled so simply at me, it made me warm all over. Smiling back, I stood besides Aiba and held out a free arm and mimicked him. I usually hated winter because it was cold and all I wanted to do was cuddle underneath the thick blankets they give out every winter time. But with Aiba, it was different and I’ve completely forgotten about my feelings towards winter. I felt this odd warmth just by being around him as if he was a thick blanket, too.

We stayed out for a little while longer, letting the snowfall fall freely on our faces.

TBC