11/1/13 -- Yellow (Part 24/50)

[365 Days Challenge- 1 word a day (2013)]
Title:Home Sweet Home: Yellow
Pairing/Character:AibaxNino, JunxNino, Kaze, ShoxOC / Ohno
Genre/Rating:Angst, Fluff, Friendship, Romance / G
Word Count:1108
Disclaimer:I own nothing but the plot
Summary:I was unhappy and afraid that the Manor would kick me out.
Warning:Character death



Masa and Jun seemed to be the only ones excited for me on my eighteenth birthday. I wasn’t. I tried not to show it to the both of them because they’d just bother me more and they’ll do something stupid to cheer me up. I’m not really pretending to be happy, though, because I was really happy that I at least had family to celebrate my birthday every year… Well, ever since Jun and Masa came into my life truth be told. It’s just that… I was unhappy and afraid that the Manor would kick me out. After today, I might not be with them for a while… I didn’t want that to happen. I wish it weren’t my eighteenth birthday today.

Later in the afternoon, Masa pulled me from the library and dragged me to his green house. Not long ago, I started to work as a library assistant because I needed to save up money. It was a boring job, but at least I had money saved up into my recently opened bank account and I didn’t want to drop this opportunity because Father Ohno was the one who gave me the job.

“There’s something wrong, I know it,” Masa said as soon as we arrived in his green house. For the past five years, he’s gathered enough flowers to sell and he’s raised money as well. It was such a befitting job for Masa that I asked him once if he was going to open up his own store and be a florist. He didn’t answer me because he kept changing the subjects, but I knew that the question was too ambitious for him at the time. Still, I told him how great he would be at it because he’s received tons of customers last year.

“There isn’t, I promise.”

“Liar.”

“Masa, I—“

“Just tell, me, OK? I’m not gonna get mad.”

That was true. In all the years I knew Masa, he was the last person to get mad, but not that he ever raged in the end. He always said that no matter what the mistake: stupid, bad, and wrong there was always forgiveness in the end. I didn’t understand at first why Masa was so kind-hearted to everyone, but I realized that it’s because it was Masa. He’s different from everybody and saw the world as a beautiful place, his own playground.

I sighed. I should tell Masa because there was no point in holding it back. “Remember what I told you why I took that job at the library?”

Masa looked up at the ceiling as if to recall that day, before he looked me straight in the eyes again with a nod. That day, I lied. I told him I took that job just because and so I could buy more games for us.

“I lied,” I repeated out loud. I expected Masa to burst out in anger, but he didn’t flinch one bit. “Father Ohno told me that when I turn eighteen, I’m not going to be at the Manor anymore… So he told me about that job, told me that I needed to save money for, you know… when I’m booted out of here.”

I searched Masa’s eyes for sadness and disappointment, but there was none. Instead, Masa’s eyes softened and his beautiful lips curled into a smile.

“Silly. Why do you think you’re still here, right now?”

I was taken back. “W-what? I thought that I would get kicked out tomorrow instead if not today.”

Masa’s smile widened. “I talked to Father Ohno and convinced him if you could stay. You know that building they were working on besides the greenhouse?”

I nodded my head. They started on it last year and it looked like it was almost finished. He told me they were building a storage for gardening tools and such. I don’t see why Masa brought it up now.

“I lied, too,” Masa admitted guiltily. “It’s not a storage.”

“I don’t get it. Then what’s it for?”

“Well… I had hoped that they would finish by today because it’s…” Masa paused. I hated it when he did this to me because it made me all the more impatient. “It’s our house.”

Am I hearing things wrong? “It’s a what?”

“Our house!” Masa repeated gleefully as he took my hands and jumped up and down like an excited little boy. “Well, it’s not our dream house, but you know… it’s a start!”

“Masa, I… I don’t know what to say.” I really don’t. The fact that Masa sacrificed all his money for me was unbelievable. I felt ecstatic about the news, but I couldn’t help but feel guilty towards Masa.

“No one has ever done this for me…” I mumbled, unaware that I had said it out loud and I hadn’t realized it until Masa pecked me lightly on my cheek.

“As long as we’re together, nothing will get in our way. You got that?”

If words could explain how I felt right now, I’d say them all out loud for the whole world to know how in love I am with my best friend. I never, ever thought that I would find the one person that meant the whole world to me, and right now I just wanted to be with him forever.

“You look so silly grinning wide, Kazu,” Masa laughed and pulled on his cheeks to imitate me. “Is there something you want to share with moi?”

Without thinking, I said it out loud. “I love you.”

Masa’s smile dropped and I couldn’t tell if what I said was a bad thing or not. I immediately felt embarrassed and I thought about running away when Masa cupped my cheeks and leaned in without warning. I could feel his lips kissing me eagerly, but I was too shocked to respond. When Masa pulled away, he had the softest and gentle smile. He couldn’t have been more beautiful when the sun came from behind white clouds and shone down on Masa.

“I love you, too,” Masa replied breathily before grinning playfully. “Now come, Jun and I made cake. And we have a surprise for you!” He sang as he dragged me from the green house.

I groaned. I remembered last year’s “surprise” from Jun and Masa: Masa was hidden in a huge paper mache cake and when he popped out, he accidentally tripped on himself and the yellow cake that he and Jun baked flew towards me. It took almost two hours to clean up the mess and myself. Well, I was open for any surprises anyway because I enjoyed it no matter what.
 
TBC