4/26/13 -- Toothbrush (Part 15)

[365 Days Challenge- 1 word a day (2013)]

Title:Toothbrush (Part 15)
Pairings:JunxNino, AibaxNino
Genre:Angst
Rating:PG
Disclaimer:I own nothing but the plot
Word Count:2264
Summary:I decided to move back to my apartment when really, I haven't given myself a chance to think about it. I just announced it to Jun.
 

 


“I think I’m fine on my own now,” I announced the following morning. “I have a job now and I can go back home.”

Jun looked at me as if what came out of my words were a joke. But knowing me, he resumed working on breakfast for the both of us. He must think I’m being impulsive, since this is my first time really announcing it. But really, I haven’t thought about moving out. The thought just occured to me, and I realized later how much I’ve been relying on Jun that I didn’t give anything back to him. I think moving out would be better for him, but it’s not like I moved in to begin with. He practically dragged to his home.

“How long have you been thinking about it?” Jun asked me casually, but I can tell by the way his shoulders became stiff that he was just acting casually.

“I have since I got that job at the store,” I lied, not that he will notice.

“Oh, you should have said something sooner, then...”

“Yeah. Sorry bout that.”

“You don’t have to apologize, Nino. It just surprised me.”

I guess I really took him by surprise because he said nothing more after.



Masaki was the one who offered to drive me back home. I would have thought that it was Jun since it was his day off, but he suddenly announced that he had somewhere to go. Wherever that somewhere was, he was awfully taking a long time that I finally called my boss for a ride. Embarrassing as it is, Masaki still gave that ride without questioning me.

As soon as we arrived on my street, I saw it, my old apartment. I abandoned it long ago when I decided to move with Sho, but I never really took it off my name. I did need a place to escape when I had a stupid fight with Sho. Without me realizing it, I laughed.

“Nino... Are you ok?”

I glanced at my boss, the laugh still fresh in my throat. “It’s nothing, Masaki. Just memories.”

“Oh... Well, I guess I’ll see you later then.”

“Yeah,” I nodded, getting ready to head out of the car. But before I could close the door, Masaki called for me.

“Nino, take care, yeah?”

“I... yeah, sure.”

Strange, I thought, why is everyone being so kind to me.

Masaki was long gone when I reached the second floor, as well as my laughter from earlier. I didn’t know why I laughed, but it felt like something had been lifted off my shoulders. But as I stood in front of my door, a wave of nostalgia hit me.

We were kissing, I thought during an inappropriate moment. I like him, he likes me, and we shouldn’t be doing this when he was with Jun. But it felt so right and the feeling was strong that I couldn’t pull away. I felt his hand trail the skin of my back, and I let a moan escape my lips. We briefly pulled from each other, out of breath, as I reached for my keys.

I massaged the bridge of my nose. It felt like it just happened last night and I committed a crime again. But I was aware of how long ago that was, almost a year had passed since then. I shook my head, unable to believe why I’m letting the memories take me in. Maybe I should go back with Jun, and I’ll come back when I’m ready...

“Oh, Ninomiya-san?”

A girl’s voice interrupted my hesitation. I recognized that voice, but it sounded slightly different when I heard it last.

“It really is you!” The girl gasped when I turned to face her.

The girl was dressed in a very high skirt and she was wearing a see-through tank-top. Her hair was tied into a ponytail, and the only makeup visible on her face was the eyeliner.

“It’s me, Mayu!”

“Mayu...” I mumbled, trying to remember someone named Mayu. “Who--” I paused, remembering everything now. Back before I met Sho, a few years actually, I met a little girl who had moved into the apartment besides mine. I found her crying one day and I gave her a few snacks I brought from the convenience store. I listened to her after I told her that I’m not a creeper, and that’s how things went. I would see her there every night, crying or sometimes relaxing. I would listen to her problems, then she’d ask me my problems.

“Mayu?!” I gasped, unable to believe my eyes. “Is that really you?!” She looked all grown now, making it harder to recognize the little girl I met.

“I haven’t seen you in a three years, Ninomiya-san! Where have you been?”

“Well, you know,” I brought my hand to the back of my neck, “Been going to places lately... How have you been?”

“Great!” Mayu grinned. “I got into one of the top high schools around this area.”

“Really? That’s great news,” Then I smirked. I used to always . “Do you have a boyfriend?”

Her cheeks turned a bright red and her eyes moved from mines. “No... Stop asking me that, Ninomiya-san...”

Nino laughed. “I’m glad I got to see you again, Mayu. I actually have things to do.”

“Oh, really?” Mayu asked, the red tinge on her face fading a bit. “Well, you are an adult, so...”

When I finally found my keys in my pocket, I was about to unlock the door when Mayu coughed for attention.

“Oh, a man came here earlier. He told me to give you this.”

Who could possibly-- Oh. I took the familiar object from her hand and waved goodbye when she announced she had somewhere to go. As soon as her small frame disappeared, I pocketed the object in my hand.



So Jun ditched me today, just to give me my toothbrush. I didn’t even need it since I already had a set at home (the one my mom bought me before I decided to live with Sho). He must have been waiting for me, but I was waiting for him to drop me off. What an idiot.

My place still looked the same as I had left it. My games, half of what I don’t even play anymore, were sitting in a shelf besides the TV in the living room. My kitchen was still left untouched, not that I really touched it other than the fridge, the cupboards, and the pantry. The bathroom, every nook and crannies, were still the same. The last place I visited was my bedroom.

I moaned happily when I felt his warm hands touch me. Inside my head, it kept screaming, telling me to stop enjoying it, but I can’t. I just can’t. I needed him like he needed me, and I’ve been wanting this since I first met him.

I shivered at the memory. Why was it being a ? Why couldn’t I just forget all of this, like it never happened. But the memory still lingered, and my head immediately thought of Jun. How did he really feel throughout all of this? Why didn’t he say anything? Why didn’t he fight back for Sho when he found out Sho was cheating on him? More importantly, why doesn’t Jun hate him?

So many questions just for this one single memory. And strange, they all had to do with Jun. No, I’m too exhausted for all of this. I decided I wasn’t ready yet to sleep on my bed, where the crime first happened. I guess I’m just gonna take a nap for an hour before I go to work.



Masaki looked at me with excessive worry. He’s been looking at me in that way since I entered the store for my shift. It was during lunch did he finally spoke to me.

“Nino, I’m worried.”

“I know,” I sighed. “But stop, please. I don’t need anymore worrying from anybody. I’m fine.”

“Actually,” Masaki grabbed the chips from my hand and placed it somewhere far from me. “You aren’t ok. I’m your boss, Nino, and I have the right to worry. You haven’t been ok since I interviewed you, and I know something is wrong.”

“Just because--”

“Let me continue,” Masaki snapped. “If there is anything bothering you, tell me. I can’t just leave you alone and let my employees wither by themselves.”

“Look, Masaki. You don’t need to worry, ok? Besides, I’ve learned that boss don’t actually give a crap. What’s the catch?”

“There isn’t any,” Masaki said, “Just get better.”

“I...”

“Break will be over in five,” He says as he gets up and heads to another room.

I just don’t get why people are so kind to me...



I ended up in the car again with Masaki because he kept on insisting to bring me home, something about not wanting me to get lost. The ride on the way home, though, was a quiet one. Masaki, though I barely knew him, was someone who talked a lot. I learned this at work. He talks about random things, though I think he just does that to help me get better. When we finally arrived, I expected that he intended to drop me off, but he parked his car and followed me to my apartment.

“Let’s talk,” Masaki said as soon as I gave him a cup of water, even though I didn’t need to -- just following customs.

“About what? Work?”

“No. You know about what.”

“Masaki...” I sighed, “I don’t need to talk about it. I said I’m fine, aren’t I?”

“Then tell me why,” He pointed towards my pocket, “you have a toothbrush. I saw you fiddling with it during work, and don’t deny it.”

I was, actually, and he was right. Sometimes, when a customer was taking too long deciding what game to get, I would sit behind the counter, fiddle the toothbrush while I waited. I forgot to put it away earlier when I was touring the apartment again.

“So?” I shrugged. “There’s nothing wrong about it. I was just bored.”

“And you did it, you kept sighing,” Masaki continued. “You had this long look on your face. Something about that toothbrush is the one bothering you, isn’t it?”

“No. I just got this today.”

“Then tell me what it is.”

I gave him a questioning look. “I thought at times like these, you’re supposed to give me time until I have the courage to speak. Aren’t you being a bit too demanding?”

“I guess I am, Nino. But I couldn’t let this chance slip because I know you won’t talk to me about it.”

“And you’re my boss, we barely know each other.”

“And you’re my employee,” Masaki countered, “I’m the boss asking you what is the matter.”

“I...” I paused. How was I going to tell Masaki everything? I couldn’t just say, “Oh, my boyfriend died, the one I stole from his boyfriend, and I wanted to kill myself. But the guy whose boyfriend I stole from took me in his apartment, took care of me, and actually had feelings for me.” He would just sound silly.

But I ended up telling him everything. Throughout it all, he remained neutral, looking straight at me even when I was explaining all the serious things that happened. Then I told him about Jun, how he was the guy who, no matter what I did to him, took me in and treated me without hatred. Then I told him how Jun would care for me, how he would always check up on me every night, every morning, and every day, and how he took almost two months off of work just for me. Then I told him about how Jun kissed me, and I kissed him back, and that he has feelings for me. Everything I explained sounded a bit like the one I had in mind earlier. After I explained everything, I felt exhausted.

“Well?” I asked, awaiting for his response. “Isn’t that what you wanted to hear?”

“Yes,” Masaki nodded. “But tell me, who did you say you were in love with?”

“It was Sho,” I repeated for him.

Masaki shook his head and looked at me thoughtfully. “No... that’s wrong.”

“What do you mean, I’m wrong? I know what I’m saying.”

“But aren’t you talking about Jun?”

“I-- Of course I was. I told you that he’s--”

“No, I know. It’s just... you told me more about him than Sho. Is there something else I’m missing here?”

“Ok, look. Sho was my boyfriend, Jun was his boyfriend but I took Sho away from him. But then the acc--”

“No, Nino. I think you’re in love,” he interrupted me yet again.

But I didn’t talk back, feeling suddenly confused.

“That brush,” Masaki pointed to my pocket. “It came from Jun’s apartment, didn’t it?”

I nodded.

Maskai looked at me for a while, not saying anything and making me all the more anxious. Just when I thought he was going to say something, he stood up and gestured me to do the same. I followed him to the door since I thought that he was going to leave, but then he told me that he was taking me somewhere.

“Where?” I asked.

But he didn’t answer me. He just told me to get in his car and that I should fasten the seatbelt on.

“Safety first,” he said.

TBC