2/18/13 -- Cook (Part 3/14)

[365 Days Challenge- 1 word a day (2013)]

Title:Cook (Part 3)
Pairings:NinoxSho
Genre:Fluff, AU,
Rating:G
Disclaimer:I own nothing but the plot
Word Count:1368
Summary:He finally moved in with his brother, but it's only during summer.
 


As soon as they made it back home, Kazu was already asking his parents the same question he had asked his brother earlier. He imagined, while they were driving home, that they would strictly say no. But to his surprise, his parents easily agreed without arguing or even giving it a thought. Besides, Sho was his brother and it’s not like he’s some stranger.

“Can I bring him starting today?” Sho asked right away. “I have to get back by two.”

“Sure,” Their mom smiled. “Be safe!”

“We will!” Both brothers yelled in unison as the both of them raced upstairs. Once they reached the first bedroom, which is Kazu’s, they immediately packed essentials Kazu would need.

After an hour of stuffing things into bags, Sho had announced that it was almost two o’clock. Kazu quickly put everything he really needed, like his games and his game consoles into one separate bag before letting his brother know that he was finished. Just as they were about to head out, however, Kazu let his brother go first, remembering that he had forgotten another important item: the picture of him and his brother.

“Kazu?” Came his brother’s voice from somewhere in the hallway. “You coming?”

“I’ll be right there!” He replied as he gently stuffed the photo into his bag where it couldn’t be crushed or destroyed. As soon as he finished finding a nice place to put it, he dragged the rest of the bags with him and followed his brother downstairs. Soon, they were back on the road.



Kazu had been to his brother’s apartment only once when he and his parents were helping him move his stuff into the apartment. He remembered leaving the apartment and his brother in an indescribable mess, but he can see that his brother cleaned up really well. The living room was so spacey that Kazu didn’t notice it was this big before. Amazed, the first thing he did in his brother’s apartment was throw himself over the red couch their parents bought.

“Tired already?” His brother chuckled as loomed over him.

“No~” Kazu moaned happily into the pillow in his arms. “I like your apartment. Is all~”

“I’m glad to hear that.”

Sho said nothing more after as he stood up and went in an area in the apartment while Kazu continued to worm blissfully on the couch. As he did so, he made quick glances of the living room and noticed that his brother had the same photo, he had in his bag, resting on top of a coffee table. Except it was the only photo there and there was none of the whole family together. Upon seeing this, he smiled. So he really cared.

When he decided it was best to calm down, he sat up the couch, with the pillow still in arms, and sat there staring at everything. He didn’t know what excited him just by seeing furnitures and a bunch of newspapers lying around absently on the floor. It might be the fact that he was spending all summer vacation with his brother, or he was just in cloud 9. Or it might be both!

“Kazu?”

He turned his head to the direction of his brother’s voice, realizing that he was in the kitchen. After setting the pillow aside, he casually walked to the kitchen only to find his brother cooking something up. Everyone in his family knew he wasn’t the best cook, but Kazu always looked forward to his dishes, even if it killed him.

“Oh~” Kazu breathed as he walked besides his brother. “What are you making?”

“A little something,” Sho said without giving him any hints at all. “Go sit down. It’ll be ready soon.”

Sitting down was boring. “I’ll go find my room and put away my stuff instead.”

“Ok, go do that.”

While his brother busied himself in the kitchen, Kazu dragged all his bags with him to the hallway leading to different doors. He knew which room to pick already since he has been here once, and it was the one just besides his brother’s room; the bathroom was across from the rooms.

“Found it!” Kazu happily announced as he opened the door and was greeted by a bare room. It only had one single bed near the corner with the window right besides it, and a closet a good three feet in front of it. Besides the bed was an empty computer desk, which used to belong to his brother, with a small lamp resting on top of it. When he saw this, he knew right away where to put the picture of him and his brother. Once he placed the photo down besides the lamp, he immediately went to work.

As he stored his video games away in the closet on the top shelf, his nose twitched. He resumed working for a moment, wondering what this smell was. It didn’t smell of burnt food, it didn’t smell disgusting, but it smelled different. Much, much different compared to when his brother used to cook in the past. Curiously, he walked out of his room and followed this smell. Once he made it to the kitchen, he stopped, eyes open wide.

“Are you my brother?” He asked, half gasping and shuddering as he looked at the beautiful figure in the kitchen. The problem was that the person was his brother, but it seems as if cooking had completely changed him. He did get a good look of his brother when he was cooking earlier, but he only looked for a second.

“Yes I am, Kazu. Why? Is something the matter?”

“It’s just...” He mumbled as he stood besides his brother a foot away. “...You look different when you cook...”

“Hmm? I’ve never really-- Do I?”

“Yes,” Kazu nodded his head like a controlled dummy. “And your cooking... it doesn’t smell burnt.”

Kazu saw that he had offended his brother, but he knew Sho doesn’t take it seriously considering the fact he already knew how bad of a cook he was. “Well I took lessons, mind you. And today’s my first time really cooking something I learned.”

“Oh! Really?!” Kazu beamed, glad that he would be the first to taste his improved cooking. So that means he doesn’t have a partner...right? Just the thought of someone else tasting his brother’s cooking almost made him frown, but he couldn’t. Not in front of his brother. Instead, he smiled, deciding to linger in the kitchen to watch him cook after all, his stuff completely forgotten in his room...



“So, how is it?” Sho asked him after he had gulped down a spoonful his brother’s ultimate paella dish, or so he called it that way.

“Amazing!” Kazu complimented as he stuffed another spoonful in his mouth. He thought he was going to have a distasteful lunch, but he didn’t know that his brother was going to cook something so delicious.

“Kazu, I’ve been meaning to tell you.”

“Tell me what?” He asked through his stuffed mouth.

“Those weekends that I promised to come... I’ve actually been spending it trying to learn how to cook...”

Oh, so that’s why he has been gone... “Really?” He replied indifferently, trying to pretend that he wasn’t feeling something hurtful in his chest. “Cool.”

“And I wanted you to be the first one to taste it.”

At those words, the pain in his chest disappeared in an instant. Those weekends his brother hadn’t shown up, he spent sulking without knowing that he was learning how to cook for him. But why? He really didn’t need to learn to cook just for him. Besides, his awful cooking from the past hasn’t killed him by much. “Really?” He asked, this time with a smile on his face.

“Well, I can’t keep feeding you poison, Kazu. So I figured I’ll cook for you on weekends when I come over. But since you’re here, I can cook everyday.”

“Just for me?!” Kazu asked excitedly as he imagined being stuffed over summer.

Sho chuckled. “Anytime, Kazu. Now eat so we can put your things away.”

“Ok!” Kazu exclaimed cheerfully. He knew, already, that summer was going to be fun this year.

TBC