10/23/13 -- Dew (Part 15/50)

[365 Days Challenge- 1 word a day (2013)]

Title:Home Sweet Home: Dew
Pairing/Character:AibaxNino, JunxNino, Kaze, ShoxOC / Ohno
Genre/Rating:Angst, Fluff, Friendship, Romance / G
Word Count:757
Disclaimer:I own nothing but the plot
Summary:I didn't answer because I couldn't find one and I was shocked from his confession to say anything coherent.
Warning:Character death
 


Masa spent most of his free time in his greenhouse, singing and praying for his plants’ healthy growth. Sometimes, Jun and I left him alone because Masa mostly ignored us and talked to his plants instead – he even named a yellow tulip after me and a purple tulip after Jun. However, Masa sometimes noticed our absence and would come looking for us like a lost puppy searching for his owners.

On some days, the three of us spent it outside, getting dirt and scratches from head to toe. Or at school, completely bored out of our heads (luckily for Jun, he was at the nursery probably playing with toys or taking a cat nap). Or in the common room, watching the early spring showers fall from the gray skies.

But on most days, whenever Jun took a two hour nap, Masa and I locked ourselves in the oldest part of the main building, away from everyone else. I spent most of our free time, teaching Masa how to play the guitar correctly and improving his vocals. When I felt that he was ready, we jammed it out together and sang our hearts out.

But today was different. Father Ohno decided to take a few group of us middle schoolers to go grocery shopping for his bakery; I didn't mind going at all, but Father Ohno always happened to pick Masa and I.

We went on a round about trip throughout the neighborhood, trying to find the groceries that had the exact ingredients Father Ohno wanted. However, it just so happened that we stopped by a grocery with a flower shop as its next door neighbor; Masa was the first to leave the bus.

"Wow, Kazu! Look at all these flowers," Masa squealed and pointed at almost every flower in the shop. I had to apologize to the store owner and everyone else who gave him amused glances. "Look at this one!" He squealed as he ran towards pots of yellow roses. Usually, prebuscent teens our age were excited for video games, but Masa was a different kind of kid who, at the sight of even thr tiniest plant, jumped up and down as pure happiness danced in his brown eyes.

"I wanna call this one Kazu."

"But you already have a tulip named after me."

"This one is Kazu! It's yellow and very thorny..." he paused for a moment and bent down so he was the same level as the roses, "but it's beautiful, just like Kazu." I quickly bent down when Masa grinned at me, and I have no idea why my cheeks burnt.

I could hear Masa ooh-ing and ah-ing as he examined the roses and named each and every one of them after me. He stopped when he reached the only rose that had the tiniest of dews on its petals. His giggling fit caught my attention that when I turned my head, our eyes met right away.

"I can actually see you on the petals," Masa pointed out, "can you move aside a little bit?" Our eyes were still in contact as I obeyed his words, and I felt more nervous everytime I slowly moved to the designated spot.

"Oh! I see you!" Masa exclaimed and giggled. "I want to buy this rose for my garden."

"Masa, you already have enough-"

"Nii-chan?..."

I looked up and saw a little boy, a few years older than Jun, staring wide eyed at Masa. There was hope and happiness in the boy's eyes as he continued to stare at Masa, but Masa wasn't looking at him, or anything but the floor. It was then when I knew who the boy was.

"Masa, he's- Masa!" He ran past me, past his little brother, and a startled woman. I thought Masa would have been happy to see his brother again after being apart for three years, but instead Masa ran from him and didn't even look back when he was being called so desperately.

I found him right away, crunched up into a ball on the last seat in the bus. "Masa... you're little brother, Yuusuke, he's-"

"I know!" Masa cried. "But I don't want to see or talk to him anymore. I promised myself that."

"But Masa-"

"I ran away, OK?! And I know he hates me, so what's the point?"

I didn't answer because I couldn't find one and I was shocked from his confession to say anything coherent. Instead, I claimed the empty spot besides him and placed my hand on his soft brown hair.

TBC