4/05/13 -- Offer (Part 3)

[365 Days Challenge- 1 word a day (2013)]

Title:Offer (Part 3)
Pairings:AibaxNino, ShoxAiba
Genre:Fluff, Family, Romance, AU
Rating:G
Disclaimer:I own nothing but the plot
Word Count:799
Summary:After all, he couldn't say no to Sakurai.
 


Compared to his knowledge of delivering a baby, taking care of one was a whole new chapter. Though he knew the basics of looking after a baby such as feeding him and changing his diapers. After Sakurai explained everything -- a good three hours of lectures and note-taking -- he felt like he went to nursing school again. Except this time, it was a development class (he should have taken in it high school when he had the chance).

He was given the option to go home, after everyone and Sakurai congratulated him for having a son, but he chose to stay. There were still tons of work waiting for him on his desk, and the other babes still needed attending to. Though a few nurses -- surprisingly his boss also -- offered to help him so he could go home with Kazu. Eventually, he gave in. They couldn’t stop insisting on how important Kazu was more than work, and he figured they were right. After his mom gave birth to his little brother, she wasn’t even allowed to come back to work for three months and a half just to take care of him.

After changing out of his uniform and retrieving Kazu from the nursery, he was about ready to head home when someone blocked his way. “Sakurai-sensei?”

The man smiled, making him look all the more attractive in his casual clothing. “I’ll give you a ride home, Aiba-san. And it’s -san when I’m not working.”

“Then Sakurai-san,” Aiba corrected himself before taking a step aside. “I’m fine. I can drive home by myself today.”

“Not without a car seat, you’re not. Come, we’ll use my car.”

Before Aiba could reject the offer again, the man was already ahead of him. Besides, he really had to choice. The man was someone he couldn’t reject. As he followed the doctor to the parking lot, he couldn’t help but stare after him. And there it was again, that strange feeling...



Kazu was an active baby. Every one to two hours, he would wake up crying for attention. It was either he was hungry, made an accident in his diapers, or just needed someone to play with him. Throughout all of this chaos, Sakurai was there to help. The doctor should have been at work after dropping him off, but he claimed that another doctor took his shift for him. He must have begged, Aiba thought suspiciously as he glanced towards Sakurai playing with Kazu on the rug, no one’s that kind enough to fill in for a long shift.

“Yes?”

Aiba almost fell off his stool when Sakurai caught him staring. It’s a good thing he had long legs to support him. “N-nothing,” He shook his head nervously, taking a sip of his ice tea. “I was just wondering if... if... if you could babysit Kazu!” Stupid! He’s a doctor, dammit, would he even have the time to babysit?! It’s all thanks to his mouth...

“Sure. As long as Kazu allows it, will you?” He looked at the baby who was too busy being amazed with everything around him. “... I’ll take that as a yes.”

“But what about work, Sakurai-se-san? Is must be impossible...” He had to find another excuse to stop the doctor from taking his impulsive offer.

The doctor shrugged then smiled when Kazu grasped his finger. “I’ll find the time. For now, I want you to stay home with Kazu. I’m giving you a month off.”

“I-- What?...” Did he hear it right? But what about work? How will he get money for the rent?

“Don’t worry about work,” Sakurai told him as if he read his mind, “I’ll take care of it.”

Aiba didn’t know what to say. He couldn’t tell whether he should be content or troubled. He felt that it was the second since his mother visits him in the hospital on days she didn’t have work. What would they tell her when she realizes her son isn’t at work? He would be doomed since he hasn’t told anyone that he was planning to be a single father. On the other hand, he had a son now. It would be absurd to leave a somewhat-newborn baby to someone else. He decided to take the doctor’s offer.

“Thanks, Sakurai-san. I really don’t know how to repay you for everything you’ve done.”

“How about coffee?” The man suggested. “Or dinner.”

If he was drinking from his cup, he would have taken a spit-take. Too bad he wasn’t; he choked on his own saliva.

“Are you ok?!” Sakurai immediately ran to him with Kazu in his arms. “I didn’t mean to startle you.”

“You didn’t,” Aiba coughed. “It’s just... nevermind. I guess I’ll treat you to dinner... Does tonight sound good?”

“It definitely does.”

TBC