4/01/13 -- Sure (Part 2)

[365 Days Challenge- 1 word a day (2013)]

Title:Sure (Part 2)
Pairings:AibaxNino, ShoxAiba
Genre:Fluff, Family, Romance, AU
Rating:G
Disclaimer:I own nothing but the plot
Word Count:1375
Summary:Work got the better of him that he forgot about something important.
 


Aiba woke up the following day, feeling completely drained out. Last night Kazu refused to sleep until 3AM, the time when most doctors and some nurses check in for work. He was supposed to drive home after putting Kazu in his crib, but he was afraid of risking a car accident. Instead, he slept on one of the vacant beds near the main office and shortly woke up two hours later. It was still dark outside but he can hear the sounds of busy footsteps from behind the closed door. Just as he was about to head out, however, someone came in and blocked his way.

“Good morning, Aiba-san.”

The life of him was almost out from his lungs until he inhaled breathable air. There was a mix of coffee and coconut fragrance swimming in the air. He knew right away who it was, and he wished it wasn’t him. It’s embarrassing enough to get caught and to be seen in such a messy state.

He cleared his throat, stood up straight, and looked at anywhere but the man’s face. “M-morning Sakurai-sensei...”

“Coffee?”

Said drink wasn’t his thing unless it was a black coffee and he had it first thing in the morning. When the doctor offered it to him, however, he always gave it in the correct way and time. The cup of coffee being offered to him at the moment sounded like a nice idea. At least some people were considerate of his quirky needs.

“Thanks,” He mumbled, taking the coffee being offered. “I should get back to work now... I have things to do.”

“But before you go, can we talk for a bit?”

Aiba shrugged. Now wasn’t a right time. What if the babies were crying and no one was attending to them? Ah! Excuses, and so many of them he could use just to avoid the doctor. It’s not like he dislikes him, or something like that, but there was always this strange feeling he gets whenever he’s near the man. He stayed anyways since it would be rude to walk out on a man who has words to be said.

“We’re still trying to find a family for Kazu, but it seems no one is interested,” The doctor began once they sat on the bed Aiba was on earlier. “And I remember you sent an adoption form to me earlier this week... Was it meant for Kazu?”

Drats, he’s forgotten about that and the fact that Sakurai was Kazu’s doctor. He did send an adoption paper for Kazu, and he remembered being so excited from imagining a life with a son. But this whole week, work got the better of him that he’s forgot about it until now. Aiba sighed. Now he wasn’t so sure about it considering the time issues. Maybe Kazu was better off with another family who can take care of him 24/7 rather than a father who was still young and busy with his life.

“I did,” He admitted after taking a sip of the bitter coffee. “But I’m not so sure anymore... I don’t think I can take care of him in between my work schedule. Besides, I just sent it in because I felt bad for the little guy...”

“You’re with him everyday since he was born, Aiba-san, and I notice the way you look when you hold him even if he keeps crying. We’ve -- I’ve kept him here for a reason instead of putting him in an orphanage.”

“I...” Sakurai was right, he was the one who begged the higher doctors to keep Kazu in his crib with the other newborns. Aiba wasn’t supposed to be in that day, but he just happened to witness such event. “I’ll think about it some more, Sakurai-san. I’ll let you know by then.”

He was glad he stayed to chat or else he'll be wondering why all of a sudden a baby was on his bed back at home. Just as he was about to get up and head out to work as he intended, however, something stopped him from doing so. From the corner of his eyes, he saw a smile form on the doctor's face. He ducked down out of instinct when the man put a hand on his head and halted when he realized what he was doing. It was a usual thing he did every time they encountered each other, but that didn’t mean Aiba was used to it. It just made his stomach feel this weird sensation, and it messed up his hairdo. Not that it mattered though, his hair was already a mess to begin with.

“I’m sure Kazu will be happy,” Sakurai said as he got up and headed for the door. “Don’t forget about Yoshi-san today though, her baby is soon to be delivered.”

“I-I won’t, and t-thanks...”

As soon as the door slid to a close and Sakurai was no longer to be seen, he placed his hand to where the doctor ruffled his hair. He grinned sheepishly as he pleated it back down to its original state...

It was yet again another usual day at work -- well, after helping Sakurai deliver Yoshi-san’s baby -- with much paperwork to do. There were piles and piles of them on his desk that it threatened to near his boss’s workspace. The last time he saw it, it was the height of one whole ruler. But he noticed it had doubled in size that if you put two of the piles together, it would make about two and a half of a ruler measurement in inches. He wasn’t complaining though. It was his job and he signed up for it after all.

About an hour later into organizing the pile, a loud cry resounded through the hallway. He was the only who looked up with much alarm while others attended to their work as if they were pretending they didn’t hear it. But it was a matter that couldn’t be ignored. It was Kazu again and something must be troubling him. Putting the work aside, he quickly ran to the nursery. But as he neared it, the crying slowly died down. He was surprised to see someone none other than Kazu’s doctor.

“Sakurai-san?” Aiba questioned when he finally reached his destination. “I thought you were attending a meeting.”

“I came to meet him,” Sakurai said. “But look, he wants to be with your more than me. I feel offended.”

Aiba laughed, taking little Kazu in his arms. “I’ve been around him more than you, Sakurai-sensei. He likes it better when there’s someone familiar in his presence.”

“But I was there,” Sakurai almost whined, “I was the first face he saw when he came out.”

“True... but how did you manage to calm him down. He’s usually afraid of strangers.”

“I’ve taken care of little tikes before I became a doctor. I was already trained to take care of a baby at 5, when my little sister was born. And 8 years later when my little brother came out.”

Aiba was impressed. He didn’t know Sakurai had siblings. It probably explained why he became a pediatrician. Aiba felt that he can relate since he had a little brother too. It seems like he and Sakurai aren’t that different -- except for their occupation though.

He hadn’t forgotten about Kazu, though. As he looked down, he made a funny face causing the little one to smile. His cheeks made him seem much chubbier that Aiba can grab a handful of his baby fat. To his surprise, Kazu held both of his hands out and made grasping motions towards his face. Aiba quickly responded, noticing that the baby wanted to touch his face. As he leaned in, he felt tiny warm fingers brush lightly across his cheeks. He couldn’t help but smile.

“I’ve decided...” He spoke a bit loud, causing the baby to jerk in his arms. “....I want Kazu as my son.”

“Are you sure? I can still give you time...”

Aiba nodded his head, feeling much more energized. Just thinking about Kazu being his son again ignited his excitement. “I’m sure, it’s my final decision.”

“Ok. Come with me to my office. We’ll discuss about Kazu-chan...”

TBC