3/28/13 -- Sprout (Part 1)

[365 Days Challenge- 1 word a day (2013)]

Title:Sprout (Part 1)
Pairings:AibaxGuess
Genre:Fluff, Family, (slight) Angst
Rating:G
Disclaimer:I own nothing but the plot
Word Count:457
Summary:Everyday and every minute, a new child is born. For Aiba Masaki, he was glad to be a part of it.

 


Aiba Masaki smiled as he heard his nephew laugh for the first time in two months since he was born. He noted the dimples that formed on his cheeks dip deeper as his smile grew wider, and his eyes scrunch close until he couldn’t see them anymore. Aiba was immediately reminded of his little brother when he was about the same age as his nephew. Even if his brother was already an adult, he can still imagine his face when he was a baby. Though he had to admit, he was a little jealous of his little brother for having a family of his own before him -- at least he gets to be the cool uncle.

An hour had passed without him noticing until his nephews parents finally came home from dinner. After putting him to sleep, he bid the both of them a good night sleep and headed to work right away. He wouldn’t want the head nurse to scold him for being late to work again.Not when a dozen of new babies were delivered on that same day and it was his turn to take charge of them...

It was already past midnight and he was sure the babies would survive for an hour if he took a quick nap. Just as he was about to crash on a vacant bed, however, a loud cry rang out in the hallway. At first, he thought that it was just a patient having nightmares, but the louder the cry became, he was sure that it was one of his tiny patients. He quickly got on his feet after picturing how many babies would wake up because of it. However, as soon as he arrived in their room, he noticed how deep asleep all of them were except for one of them, the one closest to the window.

Aiba didn’t have to scrutinize through the dim lights to get a better look at his name tag. He knew who the baby was since he was part of the team that delivered him into the world. Aiba saw this baby as a miracle for having survive in his mother’s womb. Others say the baby was just a nuisance since all he did was cry, but Aiba knew better. The child lost both of his parents a few hours after birth -- his mother died giving birth, and his father got involved in an accident trying to drive to his born-to-be son during his shift. Since then, he devoted himself to take care of the poor baby, even if it meant he would go to a new family.

“Hush, little Kazu,” Aiba hummed as he gently rocked the baby back and forth in his arms. “I got you...”

TBC