2/16/13 -- Brothers (Part 1/14)

[365 Days Challenge- 1 word a day (2013)]

Title:Brothers (Part 1)
Pairings:NinoxSho
Genre:Fluff, AU, , (slight) Angst
Rating:G
Disclaimer:I own nothing but the plot
Word Count:1016
Summary:It simply used to be a brother complex.

 


It’s been over a month since his brother had gone to university to live out his adult life. He promised that he would come home every weekend to hang out, or do something to kill time as long as the both of them spent time together. But four weekends has passed since then and he’s never once showed up as he promised.

In the past, it simply used to be a brother complex since everyone around him told him so. He followed him everywhere, did everything he did, and made friends with his friends. It wasn’t until his first year of high school that everything suddenly became different.His brother was the most popular and most respected senior in his high school. While on the other hand, he was a naive and a weak first year that sometimes, his brother would defend him when he was bullied.

When school ended for the day, he was headed home without his brother who was still in soccer club. It was supposed to be a leisurely walk home, but some thugs decided to beat him up before stealing all of his belongings. Everything was all a blur to him at that time that he didn’t know what happened. He remembered being so weak that he couldn’t even scream or mutter a single word out of his mouth. As blood dribbled from his mouth, there came a loud yet comforting shout.

It was his brother. He didn’t know how he found him or how he even knew he was getting beat up, but he was so relieved that a smile broke on his misshapen face. “Bro...ther...” He muttered weakly as his head lolled to his left shoulder.

“Let him go!” His brother yelled again, his loud and thundering footsteps echoing in the alley.

“What--”

The thug who held him was about to snarl back at his brother, but his face was suddenly smashed in. The other thugs who surrounded him now surrounded his brother in a small and tight circle.

He really wanted to help his brother out, but his body refused to lift itself off of the ground. Instead, he laid there, watching his brother spit out blood for him. He didn’t know how his brother did it, but he won in the end, making the bad guys cowardly run away.

“It’s ok, Kazu,” He hears his brother whisper as he felt his body being lifted from the ground. “They’re gone.”

He weakly smiled up at his brother in gratitude. When he felt his eyelid slowly giving up on him, he felt his brother’s soft lips touch his forehead. The following day, he learns that his brother was suspended from soccer, just because he was rescuing his brother.

Maybe that was when Kazu started to like him in a way others would find disgusting. Or maybe it was when he decided to look up to his brother. Either way, his brother was someone important to him that no one can ever replace him.

It was already getting late. It was Sunday night and his brother still hasn’t shown up. He called earlier to let him know he would come late, but he didn’t think it would be as late as midnight. As he laid on his bed, while staring at the photo of him and his brother, he wondered if his brother even cared about him. His brother showed a lot of that in the past, without asking for something back, but he felt that his already broken promise was too harsh on him. Sighing, he closed his eyes for a moment...

“Wake up!”

Kazu gasped as his eyes flew wide open. The room was much brighter than last night, and a thin blanket was over him. That wasn’t there earlier...

“It’s morning,” The same voice from earlier, belonging to his mom, announces. “Come and eat breakfast.”

He groaned groggily as he sat up the bed right after his mom had left his room. It was summer vacation and he really didn’t need to get up to eat breakfast, but it didn’t matter now that he was already up on his feet.

As he made his way across the hallway leading to the stairs, he smelt the aroma of pancakes, omelets, and eggs being cooked. It smelt so appealing that his feet asked him to walk faster. However, on the top of the first stair, he stopped. There was a voice. A very familiar voice, speaking and laughing from the kitchen.

Kazu knew whose voice it belonged to right away.

He immediately ran down the flight of stairs not caring if he could slip and fall and possibly bash his head on the floor which, thankfully, didn’t happen. As soon as his feet made it to the kitchen, he saw him. His brother he’s missed so much.

The first thing he wanted to do was scream, but instead, the opposite came out.

“Brother...” Came his unexpectedly weak voice.

“Oh, Kazu,” Said man turns around from his chair, a beautiful smile playing on his lips. “I thought it was mice running around, but it was just you.”

“...Where have you been?” He asked him, ignoring his brother’s joke. Right after those words came out of his mouth, he immediately regretted it. He shouldn’t have let his careless mouth run by itself. Stupid.

The smile was still on his brother’s face as if he couldn’t see the obvious frown forming on his own face. “School, Kazu. You know that.”

Kazu clicked his tongue in annoyance and turned around so his back was facing his brother’s unchanging face. “Whatever.”

“Kazunari!” He hears his mom and dad call him in unison. “Greet your brother correctly, and eat your breakfast.”

“I don’t need it!” He yells once he’s at the top of the stairs. “Feed it to the strays!” With that said, he went back to his room, wondering why he was so mad at his brother at the moment. Whatever the reason was, he just wanted to go back to bed and sleep under the annoying summer heat.

TBC