2/9/13 -- Mirror (Part 7/12)

[365 Days Challenge- 1 word a day (2013)]

Title:Mirror (Part 7/12)
Pairings:AibaxNino
Genre:AU, Fluff, Friendship
Rating:G
Disclaimer:I own nothing but the plot
Word Count:1176
Summary:I've lost track of time since master brought me home, so I knew the layout of the house. Well, except for one thing.

 


I've lost count of the time since master first brought me home, but it felt like I've lived in it my whole life. I knew the dark areas, the smallest hiding place where master always fails to find me when we play hide-and-go-seek, and where skeletons of bugs and spiders lay unmoving on the dusty floors.

Yet every day felt like an adventure. Everywhere I went, following master, around the house, I never got tired of what I saw. Going up and down the stairs, going in and out of rooms, and running around with master in the house until we got scolded by older female master. After that, we were kicked into master’s room, but that didn’t stop us from playing around again.

Plus, the other one visits us often. When he’s around, we were allowed to go outside since he was master’s friend after all. Speaking of friend, I learned what it meant. I think it was a few days ago when I heard the other one and master talk about the word ‘friend.’ I couldn’t help it, though, so I ended up listening in on their conversation. At the end of their boring conversation, I ended up learning what ‘friend’ meant.

In their words, it meant as someone who always had your back and someone who was willing to sacrifice themselves for the sake of their friend. Friend was indeed an interesting word I’ve learned so far, and I’m glad I was finally able to learn it. So does that mean I am master’s friend, too? Just like the other one? I’m not so sure, but I remember him calling me friend a while back...




Master was gone again for the day, but older male master was here. Since I never really got a moment with him, I asked him if he wanted to play. He looked unsure at first, but he finally gave in when he slid the door to the backyard for the both of us. As soon as the door to heaven opened, I ran outside, barking and yelling in excitement; behind me, older master chuckled.

“Masaki, fetch!”

I looked at the source of the voice and saw that something was being thrown across the air. Once I heard it land, I immediately ran towards it. It probably took me a second to find the stick near the fence and before I knew it, I gave it back to older male master. Boy, does he looked pleased.

“Fetch!” He yelled again as I heard the stick made a swishing sound in the air.

It wasn’t in the same area this time, so finding it was tricky. Around the backyard were a bunch of good smelling plants, and they were resting in something to hold them up near the corner of the fence. I think it’s over there, so I decided to take a look. I sniffed around the things, trying to find the stick’s scent before I smelt something familiar.

‘I found it!’ I told older master as I stuck my face into the gaps and took the stick out. ‘I found it!’

“Good, boy, Masaki!” Older master praised me right after I gave him the stick again. “You’ve really grown, haven’t you?”

My ears perked up. ‘I did?’ I asked him since I haven’t noticed. ‘I really did?’

There’s no way I grew up! Well... I did forget how long I’ve been living in master’s house but I forgot that, along with master, I had to grow up. Since I wasn’t sure, I let out a bark.

‘Roar!’ I imitated the animals master watch in TV. I’ve heard my voice before and it was weak and soft. But after I had imitated another animal, my voice certainly changed in sound. It was no longer weak and I sounded a lot more like a dog who can intimidate other dogs.

Older male master was right! I did grow older! But... what about master?

As if my question was heard, a familiar voice called my name. I immediately went to this sound and I ran around happily when I made it besides him.

‘Master! Master! Guess what?! I sound scary now!’

“Calm down, Masaki,” Master laughed as he bent down to face me. “What are you so excited about?”

“Seems like Masaki figured he’s grown older,” I heard older male master from behind us.

Master snapped his fingers. “That reminds me!” He said out loud as he stood up and gestured me to follow him. “Come Masaki, I have to show you something!”

As I followed him, I realized we weren’t going to his bedroom. Instead, we were going inside of the big swimming pool where master tends to shower me when older masters allowed it. As soon as he and I went inside, he closed the door.

“Look, Masaki.”

I looked at master’s fingers before turning around. At first, I was startled. But when I saw another dog with master that wasn’t me, I pulled my lips back.

“No, Masaki,” Master laughed. “That’s you, and that’s me!” He told me as he pointed at himself and then me.

I calmed down and sat on the tiled floor. ‘Oh? But why is there two master’s and two of me?’

Master did not answer my question, but instead sat besides me. He pulled me besides him and hugged me around my neck. I looked at him curiously, but he said nothing. Instead, I turned to face us again.

In my life since I’ve lived in master’s house, I’ve never seen this thing before, and neither had I seen myself before. I was very hairy and shaggy and my eyes were wide open as I stared at myself. Too bad I couldn’t see anymore colors other than blue and yellow, but at least I finally get to see myself.

Then I realized something else too. Back when I had first met master, he had a very small face and his eyes were slightly huge. However, the him I see in the thing showed me a changed master. His face became sharper and so did his eyes. Master’s hand that was petting me still felt small, but slightly different in size.

‘Master grew up too!’ I pointed out as I pawed the other master in the thing. ‘We both grew up!’

It seemed he understood me when he nodded his head, but what came out of his mouth after was not related to what I was talking about. Instead, the word ‘mirror’ came out of his mouth.

I cocked my head in confusion.

“A mirror is something that reflects and bends light so we can see what is being reflected. Well, that’s what I learned in science anyways, so I can’t say much sciency stuff.”

‘I see,’ I nodded my head. ‘So that’s what this thing is... Well I like it!’

So if anytime in the future I realize I grew up again, I’ll use this to look at myself and master.

TBC