11/5/13 -- Watermelon (Part 28/50)

[365 Days Challenge- 1 word a day (2013)]
Title:Home Sweet Home: Watermelon
Pairing/Character:AibaxNino, JunxNino, Kaze, ShoxOC / Ohno
Genre/Rating:Angst, Fluff, Friendship, Romance / G
Word Count:729
Disclaimer:I own nothing but the plot
Summary:Their heads immediately turned to me when I mentioned watermelon. To us, watermelon was our favorite pastime. When Masa and I were kids and Jun was five then, a tradition began between us three.
Warning:Character death


“Summer!” Jun screamed as he jumped up and down his bed. “Kazu-nii and Masa-nii, take me to the beach!”

“No,” the both of us said in unison. Even if I had the consent of taking the both of them out, I didn’t want to risk it. I didn’t want to lose control and take Masa then and there at the beach while Jun was there. Or worse, let Jun loose while we decided to do our own thing. “But I have a better idea. Masa, go to our closet. And if you see a huge brown bag, take it out here.”

Masa nodded before heading to our room. Moments later, he came out with the brown bag I asked him to bring out.

“This here, is an inflatable swimming pool. But—“ I held up a finger when I saw that the two were about to scream in excitement. “You can’t tell anyone, or else it would ruin the fun.”

As the both of them went screaming their heads off in excitement around the house, I headed outside and made sure that there was no one there. After making sure that the coast was clear, I called for the crazy two for help. Within an hour and a half, the inflatable pool was ready. Jun jumped in, followed by Masa. I watched them in amusement for a while as they splashed each other with the cold water. I ran away when I saw that they were planning on attacking me while fully clothed.

“Get in, Kazu-nii!” Jun yelled as he cupped his hands in the water and attempted to throw it at me, but I was too fast for him.

“I will after I bring out the watermelon.”

Their heads immediately turned to me when I mentioned watermelon. To us, watermelon was our favorite pastime. When Masa and I were kids and Jun was five then, a tradition began between us three. We would sneak into the kitchen, steal ourselves one or two watermelon, and run off to the green room. Because we weren’t allowed to play with knives, Masa would bring his baseball bat and we would smash it until it was in pieces. Afterwards, we held an eating contest. The one who ate the most watermelon off the ground would be King and the servants would treat him with royalty for a week; we always changed the bet, though, so it would be exciting every time. Either Jun or I would always win because Masa would sometimes get distracted by a butterfly that flew into the greenhouse. This time, however, I bought the watermelons at the same time I bought the inflatable pool last week.

“OK, ready?” I asked as I brought my arms up. Once they nodded, I began smashing the watermelon to pieces. It got all over the tarp I had put underneath, but oh, well. That was the point anyway.

“OK, whoever eats the most…” I paused as I tried to think of anything the winner could do. Then an idea came into my head. “The winner gets to do anything to anyone. We’ve never done that before, right?”

“Nope,” the two said in unison.

“Then, let the game begin!”

We all dug in and counted every piece we ate. One, two, three… ten, eleven… soon, the watermelon was all consumed and there was nothing left but the red juice and the its green skin.

“Alright. In three, we say how much we have. One, two… three!”

Jun yelled twenty-five, while I yelled thirty. However, Jun and I were taken back when Masa posed with a peace sign and yelled thirty-five. For the first time since our tradition began, Masa had won.

“Congratulations!” Jun and I cheered. “So, what are you going to do?”

Masa grinned as he locked eyes with me. I had a feeling that something weird was going to happen by the look on Masa’s face. Before I could process anything, however, Masa yelled “Go!” to Jun and the both of them ran to a bucket and poured it on me. I yelled as the cold water soaked through my clothes and I so wanted to kill the both of them.

“Masa was the winner!” I yelled as I chased after them.

“But you said anything!” Masa yelled back at me as he and Jun ran around and around the house…
 
TBC