10/24/13 -- Plant (16/50)

[365 Days Challenge- 1 word a day (2013)]

Title:Home Sweet Home: Plant
Pairing/Character:AibaxNino, JunxNino, Kaze, ShoxOC / Ohno
Genre/Rating:Angst, Fluff, Friendship, Romance / G
Word Count:1402
Disclaimer:I own nothing but the plot
Summary:So I did this for nothing?
Warning:Character death
 


Before Jun and Masa, everyday used to be a bore and a repeat of the day before. However, when Jun came, I had somebody to look after, to worry about and to have new experiences with. When Masa came, every day was a new day and it was filled with his loud and annoying laughter, his long nonsensical stories, and simply his presence was enough. But I couldn't stand against Masa unbearable silence, even if it's only been a few hours. I tried making him laugh by humiliating myself in front of many others and I didn't care if people laughed behind my backs, or if Jun mocked me. What I wanted was for Masa just to smile, to laugh again and everything will be alright.

"Jun, Masa's an idiot, am I right?!"

The toddler giggled and nodded his head frantically as he shook Masa's arm - at least someone was having fun.

"C'mon Masa. You can't sulk all day, they're not here anymore."

"Ma-sa!" Jun screeched and shook his arm again. "Sshimre! Sshimre!"

I frowned when Masa turned his head away. "I don't think Masa will listen to us. Come, Jun." I figured that if the both of us left, Masa would snap out of it and forget what happened earlier at the flower shop. However, as Jun and I slowly walked away from Masa, he didn't budge at all. I decided not to leave because it was hard to do it in the first place. Instead, we stayed besides Masa, right beside the ten foot window.
 

///▴\\\


I sighed as I watched Jun throw colorful toys here and there without a care in the world. Sometimes, I envied Jun for his ignorance, but he could barely speak or understand the situation at hand. "What do you think we should do?" I asked the aggressive toddler, to which he easily ignored and babbled my name loudly like a motorboat. "Didn't think you would understand anyways..."

"What's the matter, Ninomiya-kun?"

I didn't have to look up to know that it was Sakurai-sensei. He's been worried about Masa's health the past few days that he kept bothering me about getting Masa to eat and sleep regularly for the past two days.

"Is it true? That Masa ran away?"

"Ninomiya-kun, I really can't tell you about that..."

"But he's my best friend! And... and he's never told me... so I have the right to know."

"Ninomiya-kun, it's-"

The thought of Masa never telling me his story about how he came to the orphanage angered me, but I hadn't had the heart to ask him. Every opportunity I get, I always shot the question down because it might not be something Masa wants to have a seat and talk about as he cried.

“But I have to know! I want to make things right so Masa can smile again and be an idiot.”

“Ninomiya-kun, I think it’s better if you asked him yourself, and do you think sulking will help Aiba-kun get better.”
He had a good point, but I’ve tried everything to help Masa, but- No, I haven’t tried everything. Back in the flower shop, Masa said he wanted to buy the rose for his garden, but he never had the chance to. Perhaps, if I got it for him, his bad memories will go away. “Sakurai-sensei!”

“Yes?”

“I know something that can cheer him up, but you have to promise not to tell anyone.”

“Well, I really can’t promise if you’re doing something to jeopardize Aiba-kun’s health.”

“Don’t worry, he won’t be a part of it. Now the plan is…”
 

///▴\\\


It took me a while sneak away from the security, not that there was enough grunts anyways, and convincing to head to the city. Sakurai-sensei was hesitant at first, but he eventually agreed when I told him that it would bring Masa back to normal. Father Ohno, on the other hand, approved of it right away and wished me luck (I wondered how Father Ohno became the owner of the orphanage in the first place). Their role was to pretend that I was sick and that I would spend the whole school day in the infirmary so not to raise anyone’s suspicions; Jun especially, because he always looked for me in the middle of the day.

I followed the path to the flower shop, and I found it right away. It was nearly empty unlike the last time I came, but the same store owner was still there. As soon as she saw my face, she gasped and reached for the phone before I told her that I was sent to buy a bouquet. She accepted my story, and I was glad that she didn’t ask questions.

“I’d like to buy the yellow roses, please.”

“The yellow roses…” She mumbled as she left the counter, coming back a few seconds later with a sympathetic smile. “Is it for your friend the other day?” She asked and I nodded my head right away. “Oh, I’m sorry, but we’ve run out.”

“Really?” I sighed dejectedly. So I did this for nothing?

“But, I do have something for you.”

I looked up with hope in my eyes.

“I have the seeds for those roses, and it’s on the house.”

“Really, I- Thank you!” I almost cried as she quickly went to the back and came out with a small beige pouch. I felt like dancing out of happiness in front of her, but I held it back and thanked her once again. With the small pouch in my hand, I ran back to the manor and hoped that Masa would finally be himself again.
 

///▴\\\


I was no expert, but I finally planted the seeds, right where Masa would have wanted them to be. It was right underneath the skylight, where the sun hits the empty patch of soil. I quickly ran to our room where I knew Masa would be right after school. As soon as I saw him, I grabbed him by the wrist and dragged him to his greenhouse.

“Masa, I did it.”

He didn’t reply.

“I got the roses for free and – well they really aren’t roses right now, but I planted them. Right over-”

“Stupid.”

My mouth clamped shut when I heard the voice I’ve been waiting to hear for the past two days. I turned around in time to see that Masa was smiling once again, except he had tears in his eyes. “Masa…”

“You’re so stupid, Kazu. Sakurai-sensei and Father Ohno… they told me what you did.”

“It was supposed to be-”

“But I’m the stupid one, Kazu. I’m such a bad person, aren’t I?”

“No, you’re not. You’re Aiba Masaki, how can you be such a bad person?”

“Because-”

“The past is past,” I reminded him. “And I could never imagine Masa-”

It was like on the first day when I presented Masa the greenhouse, except this time the both of us fell on the slightly muddy soil. Masa was extremely heavy, but I dared not to make a sound, or reprimand him for attacking me so suddenly.

“Kazu… are you my family?”

I didn’t know what to say, or how to even respond, but my mouth spoke on its own. “O-of course!”

“Jun too?”

“Why wouldn’t we be?”

“Good,” Masa sighed and tightened his arms around my neck. “Good…”

We stayed in that position for as long as I could count, thinking about Masa’s words. “Family,” I mumbled under my breath. I’ve almost forgotten that word altogether because I always thought that family is when you have your parents, and possibly some siblings. But I’ve only been able to experience it for eight years until… until…

“Masa, get up,” I groaned as I tried to push my friend off. “You’re really heavy, you know that?” As much as I tried to get him off, however, he did not budge, or even move when I poked his sides several times.

“Masa?” I was about to poke him again when I heard a faint snore. “At such a time…” I chuckled when I couldn’t bring myself to be mad at him. Why would I? At least I knew he was himself again, and it was better than not having Masa.

“Family,” I mumbled once again as I took a deep breath and breathed in the coconut scent coming from Masa’s brown hair.

TBC