10/17/13 -- Sniffle (Part 9/50)

[365 Days Challenge- 1 word a day (2013)]

Title:Home Sweet Home: Sniffle
Pairing/Character:AibaxNino, JunxNino, Kaze, ShoxOC / Ohno
Genre/Rating:Angst, Fluff, Friendship, Romance / G
Word Count:880
Disclaimer:I own nothing but the plot
Summary:“Stay away, you’re contagious.”
Warning:Character death
 


 

"It's not a good idea," I warned him, yet again, as he stood underneath the protruding roof. The nuns had told us earlier this morning specifically not to go out the manor at all times, not even to take a breath of fresh of air, because they couldn't afford anymore of the children getting sick. However, Aiba openly admitted that he wanted to be a part of the sick group, only because he thought that it was fun. And I got dragged into it.

“I don’t want to get sick,” I whined. “Can’t we just go back inside and warm up around the fireplace?”

“But don’t you like getting sick?” Aiba asked enthusiastically as he grabbed my wrist and pulled me towards the edge. “We stay in bed all day and Kazu likes that.”

“I might have complained-”

“A lot of times.”

“... Whatever. But I don’t want to get sick.”

“Ok,” Aiba shrugged and released his grip on my wrist.

The next thing I knew, Aiba disappeared into the heavy blizzard and came back, sniffling as he shivered in his thin, damp clothing. He tried giving me a hug, but I just pushed him as far away from me and said, “Stay away, you’re contagious.”



It’s been three days since Aiba got sick and I was starting to regret that I didn’t go with him. While he hung out with the other contagious kids, which made up for almost a third of our ward, I was stuck with the other healthy kids. I would have out with Jun at the nursery, but neither he and the other rugrats barely understood I word I say, and the nursery was off limits anyways. Well, at least Aiba was having fun laughing and sniffling along with the sick, while I was stuck with an ancient book Father Ohno gave me to “kill time.”

It was about the history of the manor, plus the records of all the staff, nuns, fathers, children, basically anyone or anything that came in and out of the manor. There was one particular part where an article about the land got my attention, but I think it’s only because it reminded me of Aiba. I sighed and closed the book, asking myself why my mind always wanders off to Aiba. What was it that many my head stuck on Aiba Masaki. He wasn’t as bright and he was simple-minded, but his personality outshone everyone else’s and his mind was full of wonders. I growled when I realized that I was thinking about my best friend again.

“Kazu!” I looked up in time to see my best friend rushing towards me with a runny nose, causing the healthy kids running off in fear. “Guess what?!” He yelled excitedly, although I could hear him perfectly fine behind the white mask covering his mouth.

I turned away in anger, but Aiba persisted. “What?” I finally snapped and I immediately regretted it when I saw the hurt in his eyes. That was the second time I’ve acted aggressive towards him since that day I allowed him to bother me. “I-I’m sorry Aiba, I didn’t mean to.”

“It’s ok, Kazu,” Aiba mumbled and looked away, but I was unsure if he forgave me.

“Seriously Aiba. Why don’t you go back in the room and rest. You won’t get better…”

“But I have to show you something!” Aiba looked up suddenly. I could tell he was grinning widely by the way the corner of his eyes crinkled, and the way he failed to wink at me. “I wanna show you something first.” He didn’t spare me a chance to grab Father Ohno’s book when he pulled me up, dragged me through the hallway, and into the boy’s bathroom. What was so special about what he wanted to show me in the boy’s bathroom?

“Close your eyes.”

“I don’t want to.”

“Close it,” Aiba demanded and I wasn’t sure if he was being serious, so I followed his order.

I heard the slight sound of elastic being torn off, and feet shuffling slowly towards me as if he was hesitating. Then I felt Aiba’s warm hands on my shoulder and it became quiet all of a sudden. What was Aiba’s intention? What was it exactly that he wanted to show me so badly? When I felt like opening my eyes to stop curiosity from taking over, something warm and wet was on my lips. At first, I thought that Aiba was trying to shove food in my mouth, but when I took a peek, I saw that Aiba was staring right at me and his face was barely an inch away from minds that I could feel his warm breath on my face. It was totally going against Aiba’s orders, but I opened both my eyes and pushed Aiba aside.

“Why were you… kissing me?!” I shrieked as I wiped my lips with the back of my hands.

“Because,” Aiba grinned, “Kazu won’t be alone anymore. I never gave him the chance to completely explain himself when I left him in the bathroom and went to our room.

That night, however, I woke up in cold sweat and realized that Aiba had gotten me sick when I heard him giggling silently underneath his covers.

TBC