10/13/13 -- Seed (Part 5/50)

[365 Days Challenge- 1 word a day (2013)]

Title:Home Sweet Home: Seed
Pairing/Character:AibaxNino, JunxNino, Kaze, ShoxOC / Ohno
Genre/Rating:Angst, Fluff, Friendship, Romance / G
Word Count:712
Disclaimer:I own nothing but the plot
Summary:I nodded my head out of excitement, but only it’s because it was as if Aiba had read my mind.
Warning:Character death
 


 

“What are you up to?” I asked curiously as I tried peeking over the overgrown bushes. Earlier this morning, Aiba literally dragged me out of bed, dressed me in the thick jacket, and told me to be as quiet as possible. I wanted to ask him what he was up to, but I was still half asleep. That is, until we stepped outside and the cold winds bit at us. I was howling along with the wind about the cold weather and I tried going back inside, but Aiba wouldn’t let me. Instead, he, yet again, dragged me to the side of the main manor, and walked into an overgrown bush without me. He hasn’t said a word since.

“What are you up to?” I asked again, moving closer and closer to the bush. I would step over to answer my own question, but I wasn’t into getting in a tangled mess. Still no answer. I groaned impatiently as I walked back and forth, slipped my cold hands into my pockets, and kicked at the tiny rocks underneath my worn sneakers. There was one particular rock I stared at, kicked at, and stomped at; I hadn’t noticed that I moved away from the bush when the rock fell in between a crack in the sidewalk.

The sun shone on an empty field with nothing, but the green turf we used to play on and have those special events where people from the outside are invited in. Sometimes, I liked those kinds of events because no one notices my disappearance into the manor; but there was too many people, and I didn’t like that at all. There were days, when everyone was inside of the manor, I sneaked out into this field. I liked it’s bareness, it’s simplicity, but I felt like it was missing something… colorful.

I suddenly thought of Aiba and wondered if he had an idea of all sorts because he seemed capable of it. At first, I thought of him odd that he can be so positive, and the way he dressed like a rainbow whenever we went outside the manor for one of those boring weekly field trips. There was a time when Aiba really dressed up as a rainbow, and I was too embarrassed to be next to him. Speaking of which, I turned around to see if Aiba was still in the bush, but I saw him coming out with black dirt in his hands and his face. My eyes immediately narrowed at the sight of him.

“What have you been doing in there?”

Aiba just grinned as he took a seat in the middle of the turf and waved me over. I rolled my eyes and grinned, unable to help myself from going over. He was Aiba after all, and he was different.

“What?” I asked, matching the grin on Aiba’s face.

“My little brother… he gave me a seed.”

I looked at him in surprise. I always suspected since I decided to let him stick besides me, that he had a little brother. But he hasn’t told me anything about himself, other than his wild thoughts, up until today.

“I planted it right in the middle of this turf.”

“Wha--” I looked at the turf and Aiba back in forth in disbelief, because I hadn’t noticed Aiba here at all because he was with me most of the time. “Then what were you doing back there?”

“Cleaning up. Father Ohno says that the best soil came from there. I just got a couple.” He pulled up a bag of soil that I didn’t even notice had on him. “Help me dig?”

I nodded my head out of excitement, but only it’s because it was as if Aiba had read my mind. He handed me a small shovel, my own bag of soil, and we began digging… Aiba hasn’t said anything about himself since, but by the time we finished, he dropped to his knees, took something out of his pocket, and kissed the seed. It looked awfully big for a simple plant, but I just shrugged as I watched him drop it into the hole. “To Yuusuke,” he mumbled and dumped the bags of soil until we can no longer see it.

TBC