10/10/13 -- Hello (Part 2/50)

[365 Days Challenge- 1 word a day (2013)]

Title:Home Sweet Home: Hello
Pairing/Characters:AibaxNino, JunxNino, Kaze, ShoxOC / Ohno
Genre/Rating:Angst, Fluff, Friendship, Romance / G
Word Count:887
Disclaimer:I own nothing but the plot
Summary:When he walked to the front of the classroom, however, mirth and thrill filled the brown of his eyes, and a bright smile that mimicked the brightness of the sun easily replaced his dismal expression.
Warning:Character death
 



According to the nuns, today is Jun’s birthday; I was the only kid, plus some nuns and staff who actually cared to show up. With their help, I baked a tiny cupcake, about the size of Jun’s hands, its top covered with a plain purple icing; I felt like it was the most appropriate color for Jun. Then, thanks for one of the staff whose kid recently e, I stuck a simple candle that read the number one in the middle of the cake. It was perfect, and I could tell Jun liked it, too, by the way his eyes twinkled at the sight of it.

As everyone and I sang a happy birthday to Jun, I stared at the melted wax slowly making its way down the candle. I suddenly remembered my parents, two years ago on my birthday. We were happy then and there was nothing better than having each other. But that one night, when it all went wrong... I cried for their attention, for my dad to look at the road, but they were too busy fighting about their marriage commitment when- The song ended with a bang and multicolored confetti fell on top my head and Jun's. The nuns and staff were smiling at Jun and I thought of how lucky Jun was to have us.

There wasn't an after party of the sorts, not even when kids started filling in for breakfast. They all gave me an odd look, but when they saw the birthday decorations I made last night for Jun, they ignored us completely. I was glad, though, that Jun’s unaware of how cold everyone was. I liked it better when the cafeteria was empty and it was just me, Jun, and the custodian in the corner probably cleaning off a permanent food stain that bothered him.

However, the fun ended so soon. I had to go to school, whether I liked it or not. I wished that I didn’t have to go, though, because it was boring and being with Jun was better than being around dumb and ignorant kids my age. Still, I went. It was an opportunity the nuns gave us at this manor, and I didn’t want to be the one to ruin all their hard work and optimism for us. Heck, they even spent thousands of money to build a new building for educational purposes just so we could be like those kids who has parents.

I sped to our room and into the closet and quickly changed into the assigned school uniform. I hate how they made us wear a bow tie and dress shoes to complement the preppy feeling it gave. Shuddering, I ran to class and found that the other students were already sat on their chairs. Some were in their small circles, talking to their friends in a hushed tones. Probably some gossip or news they heard happening outside the manor.

I weaved through thirty-four children, which I think is way too much to be in such a small room. Yet the nuns had their way with designing the room for all of us to fit, and I’m glad that the history teacher assigned me all the way to the back where there was much space, right next to the window. I hated sitting there at first because during winter, all I could feel was the cold breeze through the small cracks in the windows, but I liked summertime because the winds always hits me first.

As soon as I took my seat, the history teacher came in looking like he had been through a lot just to come to our manor. In fact, I heard that the teacher lived far away from the manor and came here because he wanted to teach us as many things to open our eyes. But I just saw it as a way of indirectly pitying us. Of course, I didn’t say anything because I actually wanted to learn, too. However, I sat idly with my head on the cool table as I stared at the empty lot of playground outside, wishing that I could be there, playing on the dirt and getting scratches I know the nuns would disapprove of, instead. I’ve already zoned out long ago when the teacher started talking about the history of Japan, and how our nation became the way it is today. Boring, I thought and yawned from the loss of sleep…

My head snapped up when I heard the door swing open. I thought that it was recess, but disappointment came when the nun didn’t dismiss us. Instead, the eldest nun came in and was followed by a gaunt and lanky boy. He had a light brown hair that stood out against us all black haired kids, but I could tell he was one of us. His eyes darted around nervously, and we made eye contact for only a second, but I was able to see how lost and alone he was just by that one look. When he walked to the front of the classroom, however, mirth and thrill filled the brown of his eyes, and a bright smile that mimicked the brightness of the sun easily replaced his earlier expression.

“Hello,” he bowed and then stood up straight like a ruler. “I’m Aiba Masaki.”

TBC