9/18/13 -- Lose

[365 Days Challenge- 1 word a day (2013)]

Title:Lose
Pairing:(broken)OhnoxAiba
Genre/Rating:Angst / G
Word Count:797
Disclaimer:I own nothing but the plot
Warning:OOC
Summary:Ohno lost it all just because he couldn't stop.
 



It was stupid of him not to listen to what everyone was trying to warn him about and for not considering what his actions will do to his future. It was stupid of him to let things get out of hand and for not thinking straight about what he’ll do next. In the end, he lost everyone, his house, his money, everything that he held so dear and close to his heart.

It started small at first, and it was only a nighttime thing he did after getting off of work. With a stash of money in his hands, he went to the usual place behind that grocery store where the illicit activities happened. From night to night, Ohno gambled and he won a lot, lost a few, but he was the best of the best since who knows what happened to the other gambling genius he’s heard so much about. People whispered here and there, saying how Ohno would end up like him. But he shrugged it off, thinking that he had no enemies and that no one was out to get him.

When he was satisfied, he would go back home, weary and loaded with a wad of cash. He tries to enter quietly, but he knew that he was waiting for him like he did every night, so there was no point in trying to be sneaky.

‘What have you been doing?’ He would ask him suspiciously and Ohno would answer that he’s been up all night, working at the office, trying to finish up paperwork, and having countless amounts of coffee although he disliked its bitterness.

‘No, you’ve been gambling,’ he would counter and looked up and down as if he was scanning him for his lies. ‘I can smell that strong alcohol, and the smell of tobacco. Satoshi, I’ve already—‘

‘But I won us money, for our kids’ tuition.’

‘Satoshi, I get it you’re concerned for our kids… but gambling? You already have a job, and we’re all happy.’

‘But we’re not, and that’s the problem. Masaki, I know you’re not happy.’

‘That’s because you’re always gambling away our money and you’re never home when we want you.’

‘I’m home now, aren’t I? Come, let’s go to bed.’

‘No,’ Masaki pushed him away when he tried to put his arms around his waist. ‘We’re going to my mom’s house for the weekend, and we might stay there until you sort out your gambling problem. I married you and started with a family because I loved who you used to be.’

‘But I’ve always been me,’ Ohno pouted. ‘I’ve never changed.’

‘The Satoshi I loved and knew was happy before he became money hungry. The Satoshi I loved always brought his paper work home just so he could see his family. And the Satoshi I loved was much more than a man.’

‘But—‘

‘Sort it out,’ Masaki sighed heavily as he pushed his brown hair back. He could see that there were white hairs mixing in between the browns. Ohno hadn’t noticed how much he’s been putting on him. ‘I’m taking the kids with me tonight.’

Ohno blankly stared at him. Honestly, he never knew what to say. Every time he tried to convince Masaki that he would stop, the next night he came back and the same argument happened again. Or when he promised that he would finally stop, but they both knew that it was just an empty promise.

‘I’ll see you…,’ Masaki paused as if he struggling to say the word soon, but he said nothing more and turned around.

He watched Masaki walk the sleepy kids towards the front door and neither of them said goodbye. Masaki must have told the children that they’d just be visiting grandma for a while. Even as he watched them leave, Ohno couldn’t get himself to beg Masaki to come back.

Since then, Ohno had been lost without his family. He was completely alone every morning and every night he came back. The sound of his children’s voices and loud laughter were replaced by the echoing silence, and Masaki’s warmth was replaced by cold and windy nights. Since then, Ohno became worse. He began losing everything he had: his house, his money, and everyone he held so dear and close to his heart.

Masaki and the children never came back. Day after day, month after month, and year after year. Not even a single phone call, or an email, or something to let Ohno know they were still alive, well, or happy at least. They never came back even when Ohno visited them, drunk, broke, and lost.

In the end, he let the men who ran the gambling activities take him in for his debts.

He never got to say goodbye.

END