4/14/13 -- Question (Part 4)

[365 Days Challenge- 1 word a day (2013)]

Title:Question (Part 4)
Pairings:AibaxNino, ShoxAiba
Genre:Fluff, Family, Romance, AU
Rating:G
Disclaimer:I own nothing but the plot
Word Count:1204
Summary:Aiba questions Kazu if he's going to be a good dad after some thinking.
 


Somehow, dinner with his boss wasn’t awkward at all. He felt like Sakurai had been a friend of his for a long time, but there was that strange feeling again. It showed up every time he felt the latter’s eyes on his face, and he felt his cheeks would grow hot right after. He just hoped that Sakurai didn’t notice.

“Thanks for tonight,” Sakurai says as Aiba shows him to the door. “I enjoyed your cooking.”

“Thanks,” Aiba muttered, holding tightly onto the sleeping Kazu. “I- I enjoyed having you a-around too...”

Did he really just say that out loud? It was meant to stay in his mind, but thanks to his stupid mind blurting everything out. What’s wrong with me today?

Sho chuckled. “I did too. I’ll see you again, Aiba-san, and Kazu. Good night.”

He whispered “good night” back to Sakurai too, but the latter might not have heard him. As he watched the man walk away from their apartment and into his luxurious car, Aiba gently closed the door. Today had been a long day, he thought as he headed to his room and nestled Kazu in the self-made crib on his bed, I’m going to shower.



There was barely morning sunshine when he woke up to the sound of crying. It was definitely a first for a baby to wake him up in his own home, but with Kazu, he would have to get used to it. He refused to open his eyes as he gently placed Kazu in his hands. Singing to Kazu worked, and it did the magic...



“Aww,” One of the women that gathered around Aiba, asked, “Is he your son? How old is he?”

“Two weeks and a half,” Aiba answered, not looking from display of baby clothing. Kazu was strapped safely on his back so he would occasionally feel him move. “But I’m not his biological father. I’ve only adopted him yesterday.”

He heard another woman sigh happily as if hearing his words brought her happiness. “What a brave thing for you to do... Do you mind if I get in contact with you?”

“Oh!” Another woman pipes up. “Me too!”

“And me!”

“And me!”

In the end, he received mostly all the women’s numbers. Honestly, he only had five numbers in his phone: his mother’s, his father’s, his brother’s, his sister-in-law’s, and Sakurai’s number. He never would have thought that having a baby would make him popular. After buying the essentials for Kazu and a few clothing (because he was too afraid to ask his mom because she’ll question him), he decided to go home for the day. Usually, if he had a day off, he would travel around the city and visit pet shops, but with Kazu, that will have to be put on hold.

He was barely out of the shop when suddenly, he bumped into someone. He dropped everything in his hands, quickly apologizing as he bent to pick them up.

“Masaki?!”

He looked up at the mention of his name and immediately regretted it. She was one of the last persons he didn’t want to encounter with. He quickly gathered everything on the floor, but with Kazu constantly kicking his feet and moving around, he couldn’t.

“Let me help,” She says, picking up the rest he couldn’t hold. “I’ll walk you home.”

“Y-you don’t have to, really. You don’t.”

“But I’m your sister-in-law,” She said, ignoring the fact he didn’t want to be near her at the moment. “And we need to talk.”

Aiba whined for his life as he followed her to his apartment.



“When are you going to tell mom about this?” She asked him seriously after she put her son and Kazu together in the living room. “And your dad, and Yuusuke?”

“I,” He glanced over to both of the babies, wanting to look at anywhere but her eyes. “I was planning to. Just... not now.”

“But you have to,” She said. “It’s better than letting her find out years later when he’s grown up.”

“I know,” He whined helplessly, “But I can’t! She won’t be very happy about it since I’ve always ditched the stupid matchmaking sessions.”

“Watch it,” She hissed, “There are kids here.”

“Oh, yeah.”

“But promise me you’ll tell them, ok Masaki?”

“Ok. And promise me you won’t tell them.”

“I won’t.”

She stayed a little bit longer than Aiba liked, but at least she was around to keep him company. She gave him tips about taking care of Kazu here and there, but at least she was soft about the fact that he has a son from now on. Kazu, on the other hand, looked as if his sister-in-law’s presence was frightening. He kept trying to move from her and his cousin, but he couldn’t even walk yet so he was stuck on the rug. She must have noticed this so she announced that it was time to go home. As soon as she was gone, Kazu looked more relaxed than ever.

“Hey,” he whispered, laying besides Kazu on the rug. “Do you like me as a dad?”

Kazu just looked at him as Aiba brought him closer to his chest.

“Do you think I’m going to be a good dad to you? What about a mom? Are you going to be fine growing up without a mom?”

He heard from the ladies, back in the store, that raising a child as a single dad was difficult. They told him that a woman was needed to expose Kazu to the feminine side as they said it was a good thing. But the problem was, he never ever had a single woman in his life -- well, except for his mom and his (very kind) sister-in-law in a family way. His mom tried so hard and desperately to hook him up with a woman, but it never happened. He just... didn’t feel like having a woman in his life since he never really thought about it.

“Let’s go and take a bath together, Kazu.”



Sakurai visited later that day as the man had promised him yesterday, but it was so short that it felt like he was there for five minutes. However, Aiba felt relief when he came and he didn’t know why. As for Kazu though, he behaved, though surprisingly, he wanted to be held by his doctor.

“Will you look at that?” Sakurai laughed as Aiba handed him Kazu. “He’s finally warming up to me.”

“He eventually does, Saku--”

“Call me Sho,” He interrupted, surprising Aiba. “It sounds better if you call me that way.”

“S-Sho-san, then...”

“Eh. I guess,” The man chuckled. “It’s a good start.”

After the man fed Kazu for dinner, he finally left, leaving the both of them alone once again. He put Kazu to bed later when he saw his eyes began to falter; he laid besides Kazu, staring at the ceiling that night.

“I have a son...” He whispered. “Kazu’s my son...” Even after two days are about to pass since Kazu became his son, he still couldn’t believe it. Letting out a long sigh, he turned to face Kazu. “Goodnight...”

TBC

This was only the beginning to a new life.