(53)

Different 2
===

Taeyeon was rushing to the lobby as the thought of Tiffany waiting there for almost half an hour bugged her. She passed by a few employees who greeted her politely to which she nodded in return as an acknowledgement. A few more steps later, she could already make out Tiffany from afar, talking to someone. She walked a little faster and stopped midway when she saw that all too familiar floral dress and designer bag. “U-umma…!” 

The old lady turned around in surprise and instantly stood up to hug her flustered daughter. “Oh, Taeyeon-ah. How are you, dear?” She asked with a motherly smile as she brushed the girl’s hair gently.

“I-I’m fine, of course. What are you doing here?” Taeyeon looked at her mother and took a quick glance at Tiffany who was standing right behind them with an equally surprised look.

“I just wanted to drop by and see how you’re doing. You barely visit us at home these days.” Mrs. Kim rummaged through her bag and retrieved a bag of cookies. “And here, I baked some this morning.” 

“Um… Thanks.” Taeyeon took it with an awkward smile. “How long have you been waiting? You should’ve waited upstairs.”

“Oh, you know how much I hate to wait up there. It’s too lonely. Besides…” She turned to the other girl eagerly. “This young lady over here kept me company.” She gently grabbed Tiffany’s arm and the girl had no choice but to stand next to Mrs. Kim. “I would’ve introduced her to you if you weren’t seeing anyone.” Taeyeon instinctively covered her ears at her mother’s teasing tone. “Too bad my daughter is already seeing someone whom I still have to meet.” Mrs. Kim smiled at Tiffany.

“Um…” Tiffany didn’t know what to say so she decided to just return the smile, albeit a little awkward.

“Uh… Umma…” Taeyeon whimpered. “Please stop saying embarrassing things.” She sighed deeply and eyed her girlfriend cautiously. “Um… Well…”

“What is it?” Mrs. Kim was quick to notice her daughter’s nervous behavior. The girl kept on looking at Tiffany then back to her and she raised her brows in question. “Oh. You two know each other?”

With another deep sigh, Taeyeon shifted her weight to her other foot. “Yes.”

“Oh, why didn’t you say so!” Mrs. Kim hit her arm playfully. “I would’ve…”

“She’s my girlfriend, Umma.” Taeyeon cut her off and the older woman’s face somehow darken, or maybe it was just her imagination. “Um… Yeah. That’s her.” She pointed at Tiffany who tried her best to remain smiling.

“She’s your…” Mrs. Kim turned from Tiffany to Taeyeon a couple of times before stopping at her daughter. “She’s the one?

“Umma….” She couldn’t help but stomp her feet this time as she whined. “Stop it!” Her hands made those weird gestures on top of her head that caught the attention of other people.

“Oh.” The older woman dramatically gasped and stared at Tiffany. And for a moment, the girl thought something bad would happen until eager arms went around her for a hug. “Oh, dear.” She held Tiffany’s pink cheeks and observed her like she’s the most precious thing in the world. “You’re so beautiful… How did my daughter even got a girl like you?”

The question inadvertently made Tiffany giggle and by then, Taeyeon thought… . ’S ABOUT TO HAPPEN. DAMN.

===