154

Red Skys and Royal Cards
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

  I soared up to the ceiling of the domed room Carter entered.  There was luckily a single beam running across the top that had enough room between it and the ceiling for me to sit on.  Landing silently on the beam I let my legs swing freely below me, making sure there was no air disturbance as I did so.

  There weren’t many people in the room just yet.  Four were in the room already, all staying against the wall and casting hateful glares at Carter.  I don’t remember Carter telling me exactly how many people were expected to attend.  But, it couldn’t be too many if everyone was supposed to fit in the twelve-foot diameter chamber.

  “Do they always treat you like this, Carter?”  I telepathically sent to my mother’s Warrior who took up his spot against the door we just entered.  I could make out the way he was casually leaning against it, yet putting all his strength behind keeping it shut tightly in case the person following us made it as far as we did.

  “It’s how they treat all Warriors, Miss Sky.”  I heard him project back.  “I’m not any different, aside from the fact they can’t voice it without it being a sign of great disrespect towards the Descendant.”

  I nodded when I saw him glance up at me briefly.  The door not far to the left of were Carter stood opened and two more men I couldn’t recognize walked in and found their own spots to lean against.  They exchanged nods and brief greetings before once again going silent.

  The room slowly filled to have a total of eight Dealers in it when the door opened for the last time and two more instructors walked in.  Both of which, I knew.  I watched the new people enter make eye contact with Carter who stubbly shook his head in response.

  “Since we are all here now, let us get started so we can be on our way as quickly as possible.”  Mrs. Han said as she met the eyes of all the others around the room.  “The campus has increasingly become more dangerous to the students.  With all our efforts in protecting the younger generation from the dangerous war wagging around all Dealers, much has slipped through the cracks.  A student nearly took out an entire arena of students and instructors as well as highly respected Royals.”

  “We’ve already set up perimeters and Card checks for all visitors, what more is there for us to do?”  A balding man in black pants and loafers voiced.  He was one of the later comers to the meeting.

  Focusing on the top of his head I concentrated on hearing his mental voice.  It took a few seconds before I was able to pick up the masculine, gruff distorted voice of his.  “If they start looking into us more closely, I’m screwed.  I’ve got enough Cards hidden away from the Royals I’ve killed to be put to death myself.” 

  Well , no kidding Mom said people she didn’t trust and suspected were going to be attending.  Found one already.  This was going to be a crazy meeting.

  I opened my mind to all those in the rooms and allowed their thoughts to fill my head and drown out my own inner thoughts.  I flagged the ones that admitted to their crimes in my head, and mentally tagged the ones who had suspicious thoughts but never admitted to anything.

  The meeting when on for a while as plans to find the students on campus that were involved in the war were discussed and detailed.  New measures to secure the campus from rouge Dealers were put in plans and assigned to those who would lead it.

  “None of the Royals have given proper statements about what happened at the Dual Combat competition that nearly wiped out a section of the Academy.”  The bald man piped up just as the meeting was about to wrap up.  “You were there, Jaylene, care to share what you know?”

  The sounds of agreement to hear Mrs. Han’s side of the event echoed throughout the room.  If she told them what she knew of the event that day I would most likely be exposed.  I wouldn’t be such a well-kept secret any longer.

  “I may have been there, but I am not privileged the express what I witnessed.  Ask a Royal who is authorized to speak of such delicate matters if you want to know more of the finer details.”  She diplomatically said in response.

  “It’s not like there are any Royals here to hear you, and none of us would reveal anything to anyone else outside of this room.”  A short, thin professor with walnut coloured hair reasoned.

  “You forget the Warrior of the Descendant is present and will be making a full report to her once we are finished here.  Mind your inquiries about such classified material.”  It was Key this time who spoke up for the first time throughout the meeting.

  He had remained quite and observant as the meeting progressed around him.  Not making a sound as he watched the proceedings, nodding when he was referred to, but other wise was silent and still.

  It hadn’t been since he tested my skill with his Ability after class that afternoon that I have seen him.  He was removed and temporarily replaced by Mrs. Han as our field instructor.  No explanation was fully given to us, leaving us to speculate the reason for his removal.  Nor was it revealed that I was involved in why he may or may not have been suspended.

  It was a surprise to see him here.  Yet I couldn’t help but be a little annoyed and suspicious of his presence here today.  No matter how hard I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter