142*

Red Skys and Royal Cards
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  I ran my fingers over the cursive gold words embossed onto the old paper.  The string holding the book together was fraying slightly making its age more apparent.  Turning the page over I let the beautifully written words in black ink fill my vision before I started reading.

  Over the years, the speaking’s of our first have served as a reminder of why the laws are in existence and why they are not be broken.  Not one that breaks any law shall be allowed to go along freely, a punishment will always be given to the Dealer. 

  It is through the teachings of our first Descendant that Dealers shall come to learn the true horrors hidden in this world. 

  In this work I shall enlighten you to the EXO Curse.  Dating back to the time of the first Dealers in existence, the curse has claimed the souls of twelve corrupt Dealers.  Driven by greed and power, these Dealers abused the power and gift they had been granted by the gods.

  This here, is the only written account of the Curse that has befallen them.

  “A curse?”  I asked myself as I read the short passage once again to make sure I understood everything.

  This was certainly turning out to be a book that pricked my interest with something more than stories, tales and facts I already knew much about.  This was the first time a curse has been mentioned, but what the curse was about was still a mystery to me.

  Before I turned the page and solved the mystery behind the curse, one word scrawled in the black ink drew in my attention.  I remember hearing the name somewhere before.

  “EXO.”  I muttered as I tried to recall why the word sounded so familiar to my ears.  I thought back to all the times where I could have come across the word.  Recalled the countless books I’m combed through, but nothing was standing out.

  “Didn’t the boys use it once.”  I thought aloud.  “They used it to refer to their Deck.  The EXO Deck, the strongest Deck in existence.”

  With the realization why the name sounded familiar, I was more intrigued to read the words within this parchment.  I have my doubts this has much to do with them but it might have answers for me, and if not it seemed fascinating to read.

  Turning the page I began to read the inked lines of words.  Each one drawing me in more and more.

  There were thirteen original Dealers.  The first Dealers that ever existed were thirteen boys, thirteen best friends.  Ranging in ages, these thirteen boys explored their powers and learned the ways of Claiming Cards and how to use their newfound powers.

  Thirteen boys that swore themselves together and to the discovery of these newly acquired powers they were granted.  They kept the secret to themselves, never telling their families about what they could do and never telling a soul outside of their group of the powers they possessed.

  These thirteen boys were the beginning.  They were the first Dealers that ever roamed the earth, the first ones to discover the power that lay dormant in certain families.  Only these boys had the power, no one in their family seemed to possess this ability other than them.

  They did speculate that others in their immediate family could access this power if they were shown how and introduced to this lifestyle.  But they weren’t so easy to tell, they wanted to know more about this before they would ever tell anyone about it.

  So far it has come as a recap on things I already had a basic understanding of.  A recount of the first Dealers and the basic finding of the Cards and Warriors.

  The thirteen First Dealers were: Xiumin, Luhan, Kris, Suho, Lay, Baekhyun, Chen, Chanyeol, D.O, Tao, Kai, Sehun and JiHoon. 

  Well that proves that my boys were the first Dealers as they said.  That is unless both the twelve of them and this ancient script are lying – which I highly doubt.  What they have to do with this still isn’t clear, but I was going to find out as I continued reading.

  They learned everything there was to learn about these Cards they could find and Summon.  About the powers these Warriors possessed and what happens when twelve of the same Specialty were collected together.  But twelve of them didn’t stop there.

  Twelve of them were drunk on the power they could get and didn’t stop at obtaining only one Deck.  JiHoon was the only one who refused to abuse the power they had and wouldn’t continue collecting Cards passed the Deck he had collected, but the others didn’t listen to his reasoning.

  They all had the feeling that told them that it would be a bad idea to Claim the number of Cards they were trying to Claim, but they ignored it.  They were determined to see how much power they could obtain.

  No matter how many times JiHoon would try to talk them out of what they were doing they never listened to him.  Deck after Deck they collected, each looking to gain a certain number of Decks of each Specialty.  Ability after Ability they gained as they collected new Decks.

  “You need to stop this!  You’re going to do something that you will regret and suffer for if you keep this up!”  JiHoon finally said fed up with his brothers’ behavior and the destruction they were doing to themselves.

  “Nothing is wrong with what we are doing JiHoon.  You’re just jealous that you can’t have the kind of power we have.”  Kai snapped at the youngest.

  “Just because you’re afraid of this power doesn’t mean we are.”  Baekhyun sneered at JiHoon.

  “Do you not see what this is doing to you?  You’re not that same anymore.” JiHoon said to them, hoping they would stop this madness.

  “JiHoon, don’t you get it yet?  We were given this ability so we could do this.  This power was given to us for a reason and this is it.  We can do anything we want now.”  Luhan told him letting out a proud laugh that the others joined in on.

  “Why don’t you join us, JiHoon?  It isn’t to late to have the same power we have.”  Kris offered the younger.

  “Yeah, why don’t you want to have this power?”  Chanyeol asked him mockingly.

  “I’m not like you, I don’t want power.  I don’t even want this.  All it does is corrupt people into wanting to have more and more.  It’s dangerous and we shouldn’t even be doing this.”

  They just scoffed at him before leaving him there alone.  They never did see their youngest again; not until it was too late to reverse the curse they brought on themselves.  The twelve Dealers destroyed their lives beyond all repair, and JiHoon was right in the end: all power gets you is destruction.

  The more power you try to possess the deeper you burry yourself.  Reaching for power that is not yours and that you should never have is the worst thing, and will always come back to haunt you.  A craving for power only brings destruction and curses with it.

  “I told you that you should have stopped before you destroyed your lives.”  JiHoon said to his twelve friends who were now cursed to live eternity as the beings they so craved power from.  “Power brings nothing but destruction, and you will feel this for eternity.  You will never know true freedom so long as your Dealer craves power.  So long as your Dealer wants power for themselves you will never be free.  Your granted abilities will be sealed from anyone that is not a descendant from your families, and only together as a Deck can you reach your full potential.  This is your curse.”

  My eyes had progressively gotten larger the longer I read what was written upon the paper on my lap.  So much information thrown at me all at once.  A highly condensed telling of what this curse was.  Pure fact and information was all I was getting and I had to process it before I continued along with more.

  I did agree with the Dealer’s view on power.  I held the same views it spoke of, I believed in the same things of what power could do and bring.  It did make sense to me in that aspect what it was speaking of.

  JiHoon locked away the cursed Cards of his friends.  “You have brought this on yourselves, brothers.  Power is dangerous and now you have to suffer for your bad choices.  Be lucky you never have to make a decision for yourselves anymore because all you do is make the worst decisions that only benefit yourselves.  Until you learn that what you decide affects someone else will you not be free.  Until you can find a Dealer that does not want the power you have will you never be free.  Until a descendant of mine, a descendant of the first pureblooded family Claims you and does not want you, until then you will suffer.”

  This made sense to me but it also seemed rather harsh.  But then again, I do not know everything that happened for him to have used those words written here.  It made me curious just what my Warriors did exactly in their past because their vague descriptions of it were starting to sound more accurate the more I read about it.

  “When the world changes and unlocks these Cards to a new generation, when my descendant does not wish for your power, when they set you completely free, only then will this curse be lifted.”

  This was the passage that stood out to me the most.  It had me shivering as I processed each piece of the passage.  Long ago when this was written, when it was spoken, when this curse began it foretold of the world changing which could only signify one thing.  I turned my head and looked at the red sky coving the earth, that was one pretty big change in the world.

  And it was along with the change of the blue sky turning red that certain humans began to unlock the mysteries of this world shrouded in magic and Cards

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter