116

Red Skys and Royal Cards
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  I don’t know who the person was that walked onto the large stage at the front of the dome shaped theater.  It wasn’t any teacher I have come across, or for that matter, anyone I have seen on campus at all.

  She was at least in her mid forties with grey streaked black hair that hung around her face in a bob.  She carried herself with extreme poise that I swear had to hurt to hold oneself that stiff.  Her gaze was hard and her presence commanded attention as she stood before the microphone and scanned the faces of the Dealers before her.

  “Who is she?”  I heard one of my classmates whisper to one of their friends around me.

  I was curious as well if they knew so I listened in to what they were going to say.  If they didn’t want anyone hearing they wouldn’t have talked for others to hear.  It’s not my fault I can hear them.

  I heard the girl whisper back just as loudly as her friend, “From what I’ve heard she’s one of the Royals that runs the school.  They don’t engage much with the students save for events like this or to dole out punishments when necessary.”

  So there were Royals on campus.  Guess they didn’t like to make public appearances much if they only come out and address the school for things like this.  It didn’t take long for everyone to go silent as they caught sight of the Royal on stage.  Voices ceased and all attention was put on her.  You were really able to see how much Royals were looked up to here.

  Once the Royal was sure she held everyone’s attention she spoke into the mike.  “Today is a day that bring great pride to the school and it’s students.  It is a time when every student can learn of their greatest strengths and their horrifying weaknesses.  A time when champions are known and friends are mourned.”

  Her voice resonated through the theater and was all we could hear.  “Titles are unimportant and statuses is learned.  This competition we hold allows for the current generations of Dealers to find their place in this world and know where they stand amongst their piers.  Whether you are from a Royal family, or a family born under the Red Sky, or an innately human family with the power of a Dealer; this is your time to show the world we live in just where you stand.  Red Sky Dealers have the chance to prove they are stronger than a Royal or a human Dealer can prove they are better than those that learned from family.  This competition is your time to prove just what you are.  Once you graduate your ranking will expose you to the chances you have in the world.  Until then your rank can change and everything is unclear.”

  This sounds like a fight to the death for the power to say they are the best of the best.  I don’t know of any Royals that currently attend this school, its all filled with Red Sky generation Dealers and human Dealers like myself so fighting to be stronger than a Royal just isn’t possible.

  So maybe this competition was making a little more sense to me but I still don’t understand it.  I don’t get why Dealers have to fight to find their status in this world.  Why is everything about power and status?  Why do we have to prove to others where we stand?  Why can’t we just get along for hell’s sake!

  “The rules here are simple.  This school is the pride of the world of Dealers; we do not want to go killing our small gifted population out.  So the killing and the severely injuring of a fellow Dealer will result in the disqualification of yourself from all area’s of the competition as well as a punishment thus decided by the Royals of the school.  We take the breaking of these rules very seriously and in the worst case your Cards may be removed from your person.”

  She glanced at the forth years sitting closest to the stage before continuing again, “This rule is slightly more lenient for the Dual Combat battles.  Punishments are not given save for when trickery and cheating are involved.  But be warned punishments are more severe for breaking those rules, so don’t try anything foolish and I wish you the best of luck not to die.”

  She scanned the crowd and I swear her eyes met mine for a few moments there.  “This is not a game to many students, so do not treat it as such.  Fight until you cannot fight any longer and show your strength and will.  A Dealer is only as strong as the amount of control they have over their Cards.”

  I heard a snicker from beside me, “Looks like Sky isn’t going to be very good.  She can’t even control the Warriors she has.”

  Giggles erupted from the students around me that heard what that rat bastard said.  Ever since the beginning of the year he has been after me and stealing his unclaimed Card only made him more bitter.  But Kai is better off with his brothers and me than he would ever be with this scum.

  “You won’t be laughing when I kick you .”  I hissed back.

  “Oh, I’m so scared of the girl that never shows up to class from injuries.”  He taunted.  “Can you even fight?  Since all you seen to end up doing is getting hurt.  Do you let your Warriors beat you?  Is that why you can’t control them?”

  I held myself back from doing anything to them.  No matter how much I wanted to tear him to shreds I had to hold back and remain calm.  “Laugh all you want, but that smirk

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter