114

Red Skys and Royal Cards
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Lay’s POV

  I hate this competition.  I absolutely loath that Sky has to participate.  She shouldn’t be allowed to participate with her condition, but it isn’t like I can change this fact.  ‘Nothing is wrong with her, nothing can be detected’ is what any doctor would say.  But I know different, I know that there is something wrong with her.

  She’s dying.  I can feel it.  I know what’s wrong with her but there isn’t anything I can do to stop it.  I’ve tried over and over to stop it but nothing changes anything.  Transferring energy doesn’t work as we just found out, and I can’t heal it.  I commend Kris for figuring out a way to give Sky some of his energy but in the end it didn’t work.

  Kris knew the boys were going to be pissed if they learned he kissed her today, but it was a risk the three of us were willing to take.  Kris has the strongest energy out of the twelve of us, and that was still useless.  I don’t know what to do any more.

  We aren’t going to tell the others just yet, it isn’t time they know.  It will only hurt them and distract them from protecting her during this stupid event the Academy is doing.  Three of us knowing is enough for now, we can deal with it when something arises, plus at least we can stay levelheaded and not over react. 

  If only I knew how to stop this.  If only I could do something useful.  If only.

  “Did it work?”  Suho asked as he came up beside me in the entrance.  Kris was holding up against the ragging boys before us so I knew Suho and I wouldn’t be overheard if we kept our voices down.

  “No.  She took the energy well, no complications there, but it didn’t stop it. It didn’t make it any stronger.  It’s still breaking.”  I replied sadly.  There wasn’t anything I could do and I hated that.  I’m a healer, and I can’t do anything to save her from what I know is going to come soon.  Day by day it gets worse, her Ability is only speeding it up.

  I caught Kris’ eyes and shook my head.  I saw the pained look flash across his features before he continued to be stoic.  We all thought this would work, that this would solve our problem, but in the end it was useless.  It did nothing.

  “I need time to think.  There has to be something I don’t know.”  I told Suho as I turned to leave.

  I couldn’t watch these boys acting this way over something so unimportant.  Yes, Kris was the first one of us to kiss her and most of them are jealous, even I am, but I have no right to be, I proposed the idea in the first place.  I can’t react like they are for something I knew was going to happen.  Neither Suho nor I had a right to be a part of this.

  Kris could take this; he knew this was what he was getting into when he agreed to this.  He would be fine and would take anything the others gave him and wouldn’t say a word.

  I shut the door to the library behind me, a sigh falling from my lips.  I sat on one of the couches and looked around the room staked with books.  One of them had to have an answer to my questions.  One of them had to explain what was going on.

  Like I’ve thought of many times before, her core is breaking.  Her core, the only thing protecting her from the power of our bonds, is falling apart.  A bond between a Dealer and a Warrior is like an energy string that connects the two beings.  It’s a strand of pure energy that latches onto their soul and beings the formation of their core.

  The more energy that builds up the more need there is for a protective barrier to be formed.  Pure, raw energy is harmful to be exposed to, I tend to think every Dealer already has a core within them that becomes activated when they Claim their first Warrior.  It grows stronger as more Warriors are Claimed and their bonds cluster within the Dealer’s core.

  When the strength of twelve similar bonds is clustered together they create another energy that forms itself into the Abilities that Dealer’s possess.  The core acts as a filter.  It contains the harsh, and deadly energy that the bonds are made of and filters it so no harm is done to the Dealer.

  Without the core in place to protect it’s Dealer, the raw energy of the bonds would burn them to death from the inside.  That amount of raw energy is lethal to anyone that is not immortal.  Warriors carry this raw energy within us; it fuels our powers and allows us to heal within our Cards.  It is like our life source and it ties us to our Cards.  This does not harm us, but for Dealer’s it isn’t the same.

  These double bonds we have with Sky are much s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter