102

Red Skys and Royal Cards
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  It’s a damn good thing walking in heels doesn't bother me or I would be in serious trouble.  A half hour walk in four inch heels is something a lot of girls wish they could do.  The clicking of every single step was all I tried to focus on as I walked down the streets of the city towards the market I took the boys to that one time.

  I the necklace around my neck. The necklace the boys had bought for me on the day I took them to the market. All twelve charms were now hanging on the chain, the cool metal a soothing reminder that a part of them would always be with me.  I loved this little trinket  they gave me from the moment I saw it, there was just something special about it, something that represented each of the boys in each of the charms.  One charm for each boy and every charm was different from the next. I rarely left my room without the necklace. It became a habit to put it on in the morning and carefully and safely store it in its box every night.

Letting out a breath of contentment, I stopped a block away from the market and looked up at the restaurant in front of me.  The windows were tinted so you couldn’t see inside, but the gold curtains outlining them from inside where still visible.  Taking a quick look at the time I sighed, knowing I made it right on time to meet my parents.

  Putting a bright smile on my face, I walked into the dimly lit restaurant.  The hostess at the desk bowed to me with a kind smile, “Do you have a reservation Miss?”  She asked me in a pleasant voice.

  I nodded, “Rouge.”  I gave her my last name so she could check it against her list.

  She looked down at a list on the desk, flitting through the names that were there.  She looked back at me with a smile, “Please follow me, Miss. Rouge.”  She motioned for me to follow her lead as she led me through the rows of tables before leading me to the second floor.  Clearly my parents wanted a private dinner away from prying eyes since I was led to one of the private dining suites on the second floor.  “Right through here.  Your parents are already waiting for you.”

  “Thank you.”  I replied as she took her leave.

  Straightening my back I placed my hand on the door handle before pushing it open.  Inside the room was a table that could fit six people, but the table has been set only for three people.  Two on the far side and one closer to the door.

  My parents sat in the two chairs facing the door; both dressed in their business suits.  My mom's chocolate locks hung around her face perfectly before cascading around her shoulders, Dad had his auburn hair cut neatly.  Neither of them had a single grey hair on their head, which was surprisingly natural,  and because of this people tend to mistake them for being younger than they really are.

  They looked up when the door opened and their smiles brightened as they looked at me.  “Sky!”  My mom exclaimed as she jumped out of her seat and rushed around the table to wrap her small arms around me.  “Don’t you look lovely!”  She cooed.

  “Hi Mom, you look great yourself.”  I replied as I embraced her as well.  I looked over my mother's shoulder at my dad who also stood up, “Nice you see you as well Dad.”  I smiled.

  “We’ve missed you, Kiddo.”  He said as he walked around the table over to my mother and me.  Pulling away from my mom, I jumped into my dad’s embrace. I can’t believe it has been months since I was last wrapped in my parent’s arms.  He pushed me away gently with a smile lighting his eyes, “Let’s sit, girls.”

  Mom and I laughed as the three of us took our seats at the table. I placed the napkin on my lap and we quickly ordered our food when the waiter walked in.  “So, how has school been going Sky?  I want to hear all about Red Sky Academy, and don’t leave anything out.”  My mom said the minute we were left on our own.

  Oh boy, what was I supposed to tell them?  What could I tell them?  I’ve lived with them my whole life, my mom gave birth to me, and yet I’m so different from her and my father.  From all I know about them they don’t know a thing about this world or what I was thrown into when I attended the Academy.

  How am I supposed to tell them how my life was without telling them what was really going on behind the walls of the city-like Academy?  If my parents don’t know about this world I can’t just go telling them, that is the one thing that gets you in trouble in this world.  I had to leave everything about Dealers, Cards and Warriors completely out.

  I had to lie.

  But I didn’t have to fake my smile.  Just seeing them was enough to keep a genuine smile on my face.  “Life at the Academy is really good, it’s a lot of fun.”

  Their smiles only brightened, “And classes?  Tell me about them.”  My dad asked as he sipped his wine.

  “Just your normal first year classes.”  I said passively, “History, Math, Language, Science as well as a Phys. Ed. class.  Not much different than high school, things get more in depth in second year where more classes will focus on business and management.”

  “Well as long as you are enjoying yourself, that’s all that really matters.”  My dad said, “But you are focusing on your lessons and not just goofing off are you?”

  I laughed, “No Dad, I’m keeping my focus on my studies.”  That wasn’t exactly a lie; I was focusing on my theoretical studies, combat training, and Warrior studies. This is difficult, it’s hard to not tell them everything, I don’t like that I have to hide the biggest thing in my life from them. But I don’t exactly have a choice either.

  Our food came and the waiter set it on the table before we were left once again to enjoy our meal as a family.  We remained in silence for a little while as the three of us ate our food.  The only meal where we talked a lot during was breakfast, other than that, the meal went on without any conversation.  That had changed for me now with the boys, who are always talking during meals and around the house.  There was rarely a quiet moment, unless they were asleep that is.

  “So.”  My mother started as she set

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter