106

Red Skys and Royal Cards
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  I was amazed at the sight occurring in front of me.  We stood at the head of the pool hear the deeper end looking out towards the shallow end.  I stood beside Xiumin as I watched just what he could do on such an amazing scale.

  He divided the pool directly in half up the center.  Half soon became a frozen block of ice while the other half was still liquid water.  The process at which I saw the ice freeze was what was most amazing.  Watching the water freeze and crystalized was more than I ever imagined it could be.

  It started along the bottom of the pool nearest where we stood before reaching outwards.  Because the water was so still it was easy to see past the clear water and down to the floor of the pool.  It started with just a few crystals before rapidly expanding to cover more area.  The needle like points of the ice crawled across the floor of the pool and up towards the surface.

  The ice crystals shot out in all directions causing any water it came in contact with to crystalize along with it and spreading out to reach more of the water.  Once the ice hit the center of the pool I stopped spreading further and created a smooth wall.  I could see the way the crystals froze, the patterns they created deep within the ice.

  “It’s beautiful Xiumin.” I breathed as I looked at the intricate masterpiece in front of me.  I was speechless when I saw the way the crystals began to rearrange themselves within the solid block of ice.  With a beautiful calligraphy style of writing my name was written deep within the ice crystals.

  “Cool huh?”  He said bring my out of my daze.

  “It’s amazing.”  I looked over at him in awe.

  “It isn’t to hard to do, but for not I think we should just focus you making sure you are able to control what you freeze and how much of it you do.  So let us get started then shall we Darling.”

  “Alright then Xiumin, what do I do first?”  I asked him, looking up at him expectantly.

  “Learn how ice works.”

  “Yay, more science lessons.”  I rolled my eyes before waiting for him to go on explaining everything.  I’m left with no choice but to listen to them explain everything since I know in the end it is all for my benefit.

  “The formation of ice is very interesting at the molecular level.  You need to know what happens to the water molecules when ice begins to form.  You have to understand why ice is the way it is.”  Xiumin began to explain.

  He pulled me down beside the pool before continuing, “Water as a liquid is a compound of two hydrogen molecules bonded with a single oxygen molecule.  The bonds are loosely held together, they bond and those bond break and are formed once again.  But once the temperature is lowered below zero centigrade water tends to quickly hold itself together forming hexagonal shapes in long rows.  This gives us the crystal that is ice and allows it to be less dense than liquid water.”

  I nodded along, letting everything sink into my brain with as much detail as possible.  “What I do, and you will soon be able to do is give the water that spark that causes it to freeze.  Lowering the temperature of the water molecules and forcing them to quickly bond with each other.  Changing the orientation of the molecules is something I won’t teach you right away but you will come to learn to do.”

  “Does changing the bond structure do what you just did to the ice?”  I asked motioning to my name still etched inside the block of ice.

  “Yeah, that’s pretty much one thing that it does.  There are a few more uses, but don’t concern yourself with them now.”  Xiumin answered as my name slowly blurred and vanished.

  “One thing I need to make clear, we can’t control weather or temperature.  It may seem like we can, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t look like we do.  You follow?”

  “No, not really.”  I shook my head.

  “Suho, Chen and Sehun and make a storm when they combine their powers.  Suho and I can make a snowstorm, but I cannot make the air cool or cause summer to feel like winter.  We can make it snow on the hottest day, but I cannot make it feel like the coldest day any day.”  He continued to explain.

  He looked over at me and smiled, “To form ice or frost or any form of liquid water, the temperature has to be dropped, but it is only the molecules that we drop the temperature.  If you cool a water molecule but don’t force it to bond and solidify things go very wrong.”  He shuddered.  “I’ve tried to cool down my surroundings once and have never done it again.”

  “What happened?”  My curiosity being pricked.

  “Like Baekhyun probably advised you about not ripping light since he has tried that a few times and has learned just what not to do and how to control it.  Frozen molecules we create around us that aren’t forced together to make tangible ice are like tiny explosives with great power.  One frozen molecule can make a one meter diameter around it explode.”

  Okay, that was unexpected to hear, “So every time I use this I have a chance as bowing everything up?”

   “What? No!”  Xiumin exclaimed, “Once you start forcing the molecules together, every one will react.  If you just freeze them and do nothing past that you have a minute – give or take – to get them to crystalize or they are going to explode.”

  “Oh, that’s good.”  I sighed, relieved that I wasn’t a walking timed bomb.  Why is there so much destructive power in all of this?  Why can’t it be simple and not life threatening?

  Xiumin hummed, “The process is pretty simple actually.  You need to picture what you want and the size you want and focus on that.  From there all you need to do is freeze the molecules in the area and make them condense and bond.”

  “And I do that how?”

  “You just do it.  I never got into the logistics since it just worked.  Try freezing the other half of the pool.”

  Not the best explanation but it was better than nothing at all I guess.  No point in not trying since that would only waste more time and be of no help in the end.  Try, and if that doesn’t work, try again.

  “Easy Sky.”  The boy beside me muttered.  “You are forcing it to much.”

  Rolling my eyes I went back to watching the water of the pool.  I focused as much as I could but I clearly was m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter