47*

Red Skys and Royal Cards
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Imporant A/N at the end please read!

  I waited after class to talk with Key.  If any one would have the answers to my questions it would be him.  He may have made it clear that we couldn’t participate in that part of the school competition, but he never said we couldn’t be curious about how it was done.

  I wasn’t going to clue him into the fact that I wanted to participate, just show some brief interest into the workings of it.  If he told me anything that could be of use I was going to try it out myself.  I needed to find a way around this or I was screwed.

  “What are you still doing here, Sky?”  Key asked when he saw me hanging around the park after all the other students have left for the day.

  “I wanted to ask you something.”  I answered him.

  “What about?”

  “It’s about the Inter-school competition coming up.  I’ve been curious about this since you first mentioned it.”

  “I’ll try and answer as best as I can.”

  At least he was willing to listen to me and maybe give me some answers.  Now I just had to make it sound like I wasn’t interested in participating.  “You mentioned the Dual Combat, and I’m not asking because I want to be able to participate, but it got me curious the more I thought about it.”

  “As long as you aren’t going to go off and try to do this without proper training, I see no harm in answering.”  Key replied, “And it isn’t like you will be allowed to participate anyway.”

  Thank goodness for that small fact that you had to gain permission to be apart of that one so it solidified that he wouldn’t suspect anything.  “How do the Dealers fight the Warriors who have a Specialty at their advantage?”

  There, I asked.  But before I got a worded response I gained a laugh from the elder.  “Of course you would ask that.  And the answer to your question is harder to answer then you might think.”

  “I have time.  Can you please explain it to me?”  I asked him.  I really needed to know this.  If I would have any chance at participating I had to know how they got around that factor.

  “The Dealers don’t really have a way to get around the fact that they are much weaker than a Warrior.  Most of the students participating in this competition have obtained a full Deck and thus have gained an Ability of their own that gets them a little closer to the level of a Warrior.”  Key explained. “But they will never be as strong as a Warrior or have a shot at defending themselves against a Warriors full powered attack.”

  “So how does it work then?”  I still didn’t really have an answer that would be of any help.

  Key shook his head, “There’s a reason why many Dealers get injured or killed in these battles.  A Dealer has no chance at beating a Warrior on their own.  Because of this fact that most Dealers are very aware of, in this competition the Warriors will fight each other and the Dealers will fight each other.  Very rarely will the Dealer have to engage a Warrior directly, and if they do one of their Warriors will come to their Dealer’s aid.”

  So there really isn’t a way around this.  Damn, and I thought there was something I haven't learned yet.  Guess I have no hope at getting into this competition then.  I really thought there was something that could get me above the rest and be put on the same playing field.

  Guess I had to look it into other ways.  I had under a month until the competition date and less then three weeks before I had to sign up for something.  I didn’t have a lot of time to look into all of this and get the boys and the admin head to agree to let me do this. 

  I don’t have enough time to figure all of this out.  I need a miracle to be able to pull this off now.  But I’m never so lucky.  My best option now was to enter the Dealer versus Dealer competition.  I have strength that matches that of a Warrior and the skills.  That was the only one I had any good chance at doing anything in and making it to the top.  I can fight fine with my Warriors, but I knew some of the other students are even more skilled than I am since they have been doing this longer.

  I need to look at reality and realize that I will never be able to fight a Warrior at full strength while they are using their Specialty.  I was aiming for a goal too far out of my reach.  It was better to know that now, then when I was too far along to get out.  I would rather know before anyone gets hurt then when they do get hurt. 

  The next few weeks I will continue to train with the boys, but with a different goal in mind.  I cannot participate in the Dual Combat portion of the competition so increasing my strength and being able to defeat a Warrior isn’t a high priority anymore.  I need to hone my skills and style if I wanted to do anything.  While strength was good, it wasn’t everything.  No matter how strong I am, if I can’t fight properly then I can still lose.

  Accepting this fact I began the c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter