149

Red Skys and Royal Cards
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
D.O’s POV

  When I went to go search for Sky I wasn’t expecting to find her outside well past dark.  It took me a moment to realize just how long I had lost focus for.  I was worried at first when my mind began to clear of the images and voices and I found Sky missing from the room.  Her mother was gone and I couldn’t sense the other Warriors around either.  I feared, at first, Sky had left as well.  Gone with them and left us here alone.

  I began to calm when I felt her presence connected deep with the earth.  I could feel the way it had twined itself with her energy.  Feel her energy vibrating in the earth and I used that to locate her.

   I made my way towards the back field. Pulling the sliding door out of my way and stepping out into the crisp air of a natural world outside.  I glanced around the darkening yard in search of the person I could feel deep within the earth. 

  I could make out Sky’s figure sitting next to the small spring I created not long after meeting her.  I watched her from a distance for a moment.  She never moved from her place and kept her gaze fixed on a single place in front of her.

  I started to call out to her, but thought better of it and decided to make my way over to her.  I let the grass brush against my feet as I glided through the yard towards her immobile figure.  She made no move to look up at my approach, but I was sure she would feel me coming if she was connected to the earth like I could feel she was.  Sky would be able to feel the way the grass was displaced as I moved along, sense my footsteps on the earthen floor as I could feel her resting on the ground.

  As I got closer I began to slow before stopping in my tracks and looking on in bewilderment.  Her back to me, I looked beyond her shoulder at the two towers raising in height before her.  One of glistening ice, smooth and cylindrical in shape with stair like patterns leading from the base to the top.  A domed top with a rose seemingly frozen within.  Next to it, rose a fountain of water.  Flowing to the highest point of the spout and falling back into the water below seamlessly.

  Both moving higher at the same rate.  Both perfectly controlled and manipulated.

  Something that Sky should not be able to do so effortlessly.  Something she shouldn’t be able to do at all.  Maintaining her connection to the earth as strong as she is on top of using her Ability to manipulate ice and water at once is far beyond her skill set.

  “Sky.”  I called when she continued to ignore my presence and focus on the anomaly before her.

  I jolted forward as the two towers rapidly crashed back into the surface below and vanished from existence the same moment Sky went limp.  When I reached her I noticed why she hadn’t collapsed onto the ground.  Vines threaded through her crossed legs and up her arms resting behind her.  They crisscrossed and locked around one another as the green ropes refused to release Shy from their hold.

  I could feel them attached to her, merging with her energy and keeping her grounded.  I knelt down next to her and prepared to catch her once the vines released her and stopped keeping her upright.  I focused in on the roots securing her and used my will to loosen them and more them aside.

  They should have eased up on her arms and began to slither back in the earth.  They did not do this.  They did not release her at my insistence.  I tried once again to break Sky free.  I was able to connect with the vines, feel them.  I should be able to control them if I can get inside of them as I can with any other earth element, but I couldn’t.  I held no control over them at all.  I could not make them move, couldn’t not turn them to dirt.

  For the first time since I gained my Specialty I was unable to control a piece of earth.  Even with all the power I had, it was impossible for me to do more that feel the vines that ensnared Sky.

  I reeled back as the truth of the moment sunk into my mind and froze me in place.  It couldn’t be possible.  It shouldn’t be possible that I could do nothing over something I should have complete control over.  I could do anything with the earth around me, but those small vines around my Dealer where blocked from me.

  “How.  Why?”  I breathed as I stared on at them in horror.

  For the first time I feared the earth.  I feared the power that commanded them for I should be the ultimate master.  I should be the only one that can command the earth above all else.

  I frantically tried everything I could to free Sky, but it was useless.  My powers were of no use to me.  I was powerless.

  I eventually restored to grabbing at them with my hands and ripping them apart and away from her, yet that a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter