147

Red Skys and Royal Cards
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  Before I had the chance to start reading, instead of appreciating the careful and precise calligraphy of the book, my phone vibrated on the table where I set it down earlier.

  Picking it up I frowned at my Dad’s contact flashing on the screen.  “Hello?”

  “Hey, Kiddo.  Your mom leave already?”  He asked me.  His voice cheerful on the other end of the line.

  “Yeah, a few minutes ago.”  I told him.  I started the hem of my shirt absentmindedly.  “She showed up, dumped everything on me then left.  I didn’t get much in conversation wise.”

  I could hear him sigh.  “You know how she can be sometimes, don’t take it personally, Sky, she means well and wants to help you through this.  But with what happened at the Academy earlier weighing on her mind, and the call your cousin made to inform us about everything, she’s got a lot to take care of.”

  “Look, Kiddo.”  He continued, the calm fatherly tone slowly managing to sooth me.  “I know you have questions, I’ve got a bit of time so I’ll do my best to clear up what I can.”

  I smiled, “Thanks, Dad.  You really have perfect timing.”

  “I know my little girl, your mother only give you half of what you want before you go looking for the other half, and that’s what I’m here for.”

  “Mom said there was another reason you hid everything from me.  Something I am supposed to do.  She wouldn’t elaborate though.”  It was really a question, more of a statement of fact but my curiosity of it was hidden within.

  “Figures she’d say something about that.” I heard him faint grumbled as if under his breath.  “As you know by now, you mother is the Descendant.  The title comes with power and knowledge in this world, as well as secrets and stories that are only known by the Descendants themselves.  No matter how much searching a Royal does they will never learn certain things.  Even your cousins and their friends gaining access to the Crypt wouldn’t give them access to the things your mother has learned.”

  “So what does that have to do with me?”

  “Don’t be so impatient for your answers, you need the full story to understand everything.  I’ll get to it.”  He chuckled.  Dad always loved to point out my impatience to me.  “The story of what happened to the twelve oldest of the First Dealers is something the Descendants are all taught, it’s only of the reasons why they have never Claimed the EXO Deck before.  No Descendant has ever possessed them – until you that is.  The EXO is rare to ever appear to Royals so it soon faded into legend, but the Descendants always knew otherwise.  Their curse is one your mother knows quite well, because it’s the reason many of the laws governing Dealer are in place today.”

  I nodded when he paused, momentarily forgetting he couldn’t see me.  “Okay.  I understand that.”

  “Good, because it gets more complicated.” He drying stated.  “I was introduced to all of this after marrying your mother.  What I know pales in comparison to the knowledge she possesses but I’ve learnt enough over the years to at least help you understand just what is was your mom was referring to.  There is only one complete written account of the Curse the EXO Deck holds.  JiHoon used his journal to write and seal their curse, bound in that book is their curse, but it also contains the cure.”

  “Mom gave me a journal, could that be the same one?”  I asked him.  My fingers skimmed over the old delicate paper with the cursive black writing staining the pages.  Could my mother really have handed me the book containing the curse my Warriors suffered because of.

  “It’s most likely she did.  That journal contains more than just the curse, it’s an insight into the past and why the rules were created, and why the hierarchy is the way it is.  Why things have changed.”  He told me.  “You’d do well to read it, you’ll learn from his passages.”

  I hummed.  “I was going to start reading it before you called actually.”  I paused for a moment before something my dad previously said registered in my mind.  “You said something about a cure to the curse on the EXO Deck.  What did you mean?”

  “Every curse that is placed has a way to reverse it.  The one EXO has is not different.”  He answered.  “Their curse JiHoon gave them speaks of a way to set them free.  It’s actually quite specific, the magic behind their curse is strong but there is a tale regarding the reversal of the cure that has been given to each new Descendant.  It’s speaks of a child born of the Descendant family that the EXO Deck will choose from young.  A child of pure heart and mind that wants to see them safe and free.  Their mind not clouded by the hatred and destruction of this world or Cards.  There is more to the story that made your mother and I believe it was you this cure for their curse was speaking about, but I think it’s best you learn it on your own.  Read the journal, Sky, it will give you those final answers you seek.”

  “Thanks, Daddy.  You always know just how to clear the fuzz in my head that Mom creates.”  I told him gratefully.  “I’ll call you later, it was good speaking with you.  Tell Mom I was glad to see her today.”

  “Take care, Baby Girl.  I’ll let her know her visit was appreciated if not scattered and confusing.”  The smile his voice conveyed was enough to ease my nerves.  “I’ll come by and see you when time allows it.  Stay strong, you still have a few more days of the Competition to get through before it’s over.”

  “Bye, Daddy.  I love you.”  I said before we hung up. 

  Dad always knows what to say and when to say it.  Staying upset at him is difficult when he’s so willing to tell me what I want to know.  He’s the calm to Mom’s chaos.

  I looked down at the journal still sitting on my lap, the cover once again shut so I could trace the spirals in the worn leather.  The boys were still trapped in their thoughts and even calling out to them a few more times brought no response.  I sighed, the darkness in their eyes was upsetting, the twelve of them were clearly suffering in their memories.

  “If there is a way to remove your curse, I’ll find it.”  I vowed.  “You deserve freedom.”

  Opening to cover once again I looked at the large cursive 3 inked on the first page.  I traced the number with my finger before turning the page once again.  The crackling of the paper and binding as I very gently maneuvered the page told me just how old this must have been.

  The pages held no lines; each page was slightly different in the make up on the thin paper.  They seemed handmade and bound the same way; it was careful and precise but had a timeless age to it that was stunning.  A piece of art that contained a priceless account of history.

  Catching the edge of the page on the pad of my right index finger, I raised it enough to pinch it and turn to the following page.  The writing had gotten small so to fit the message written on the top half of the page leaving the bottom empty of words.  The bottom on the page below the writing was a breathtaking sketch of a forest in the same black ink the writer of the journal was using.  Hand draw and expertly done, it was a magnificent sight to see.

  Looking back at the small paragraph I focused on the words and began reading what was written in the old calligraphic writing.

  In this journal I document my life.  Tell the story of how I lived and the events that unfolded throughout it.  This is a reminder to myself to never forget what happens in the past because it is a part of my present and future.  The past doesn’t disappear once it passes, it continues to affect you throughout life.

  Don’t fight the past – accept it.

  It was almost like an intro to the writings that would be scribed on the pages f this book.  I message to himself and to others.  A reminder.  Like I had told the boys earlier our pasts don’t just stop affecting us, unless we embrace it and accept it we will never grow and develop as people.

  He placed the same reminder here to any one that reads it.

  By reading JiHoon’s journal I’ll learn about the past he lived in, what he experienced.  What I learn, no matter how much I might want it to be wrong, if I don’t accept that it happened I won’t be able to clearly see the mistakes and how to fix anything.

 Living in the present is well and good, but without the influence of the past you will continue to make the same mistakes over and over again until you accept it and do something differently.

  Grounding myself like D.O taught me, I opened my mind to learn and accept what I was going to read.  Taking a few silent deep breaths and opened my eyes and turned the page to begin reading the first entry contained in this personal journal of the single survive First Dealer.

  The very first Descendant.

Eighteenth Full Flower Moon.

  Today began, as any other day would.  I woke from my slumber three dro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter