133

Red Skys and Royal Cards
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  I was back in the white, white void.  Alone, with more and more questions, and the few answers I got don’t do me much good.  I know I’m not completely dead - whatever that means - I know that I’m somehow connected to, apparently, a boatload of things that I see no connection between.  I know that the Royals get jumpy when they hear the name of my Warriors.

  And I now know my Warriors are hiding things from me.  Things I need to know.

  Everything is getting so much more complicated and I just don’t know what to do with everything I’m learning.  My cousins are Royals, which means I have some connection to Dealers if this fact was hidden from me since I was a child.  My parents have to know something about all of this.

  I let out a bitter laugh.  Most of my childhood was a damn lie.  My parents, my cousins, all of them lied to me at some point.  They hid something this big from me, and even after I know about it now they continue to lie to me.  I saw my parents not long ago and they never even said a word about knowing anything about this.  They acted as if they had no idea what I was going through.  When I needed someone to talk to about all of this, I couldn’t even go to my mother because I didn’t know she knew about any of this. 

  My whole life seems like a stupid joke, one where I don’t know the punch line.

  Everyone knows something about my life and what I went through and currently am going to go through, but myself.  I was raised this way for some reason and I don’t even know what it is.

  I need answers.  I desperately need answers, but I will never get them while I’m trapped here. 

  I have to get out.  Get back to my body.  Get back to my Warriors and ask them what they are hiding, what they have been keeping from me since the very beginning.  No more lies, no more secrets.  I need to know what is going on, considering it’s the reason I’m half dead at the moment.

  Sitting down on the smooth surface of the endless white box, I let my eyes flutter shut.  It’s time to go back.  I thought as I let my mind wander in search of an exit to this place.  Inhaling and exhaling, I focused on grounding myself and I mentally pushed at the walls of this prison I was trapped inside.  Pushing and pressing on the physically impossible to reach boundaries, I tried to get them to crack and break.  To let me out.

  Placing my hands palm down on the floor beside me I let the powers within me spin around me and help break down the cage I couldn’t reach.  I felt each of the twelve Specialties slash at the walls of this place, slowly weakening it.

  “Let.  Me.  Out.”  I growled as I pulled the power back before letting a strong blast of energy slam into the walls on all sides at once.  Snapping my eyes open I watched as the white walls shattered like glass.  Falling around me in glistening specs before the floor dropped out from beneath me, leaving me to fall into a black void that took over my vision.

 

  Gasping for breath my back arched off the bed I was laying on.  My eyes shot open to see the blood red walls of my room on the Academy grounds I was becoming familiar with.  Collapsing back on the bed I tried to regain my breath and calm my heart form its racing pace.

  “Damn, that hurt.”  I groaned softly, as I slowly sat up to look around me.  My heart still felt as if it skipped a few beats every few seconds, but what I can expect from almost dying not long ago.

  I scanned my room, it was the same as when I left.  Reaching out with my mind, I managed to locate all twelve of my Warriors in the living room.  Seems they found a way to get by without me around.

  Lying back down, I shut my eyes and let everything I just went through run through my mind.  Focusing I tried to reach my core, or at least what used to be my core, but I couldn’t.  The place where my bonds with my Warriors were located, the epicenter of my Ability, was gone.  I couldn’t feel it, couldn’t find it, it was gone.  When it burned away it really did completely disappear.

  “You aren’t going to find your core, Child.”  A female voice I grew accustomed to while I was trapped inside my core, spoke to my right.

  “You no longer have a core.”  The accompanying male voice came next from my left.  “Your powers run through your veins.  They are no longer filtered and contained within your core as they were before.”

  “Nyx, Ember.”  I breathed.  I blinked my eyes open as sat up to see just whom the voices truly belonged to.  Resting my back against the pillows I watched as two creatures moved on my bed so they were resting on my lap.

  A bird the size of a dinner plate sat proudly with burning red and orange feathers.  Shaking his body I watched in awe as the fire burning over his form began to fade and seem to imprint itself in mid-motion on his feathers.  I let out a surprised smile as I reached out to Ember, wanting to brush my fingers on his sleek feathers.

  “I bite.”  Ember deadpanned.

  “Okay.”  I drawled as I pulled my hand away from the beady black eyes that seemed to glare at me.

  Ember ruffled his feathers as he sat down in a little bubble of the sheets.  “Don’t take it personally, not even Chanyeol has done that without a few scars on his fingers.”

  “So you’re Chanyeol’s phoenix?”  I asked him, folding my hands on my lap.

  “I am, pleasure to meet you in the flesh, Lady Dealer.”

  “We are glad to see you back.  Safe.”  Nyx kindly spoke.

  Looking over at her, I saw her scales vibrate slightly as if a breeze ran through them.  The sleek, dark, obsidian colored scales sparkled and glistened in the sunlight that came through the slight opening in the curtains.  Her tail flicked behind her as she lay down on the soft comforter, her wings folded around her like a warm hug.

  “Unlike the moody bird, I don’t mind when my scales are touched.  Kris never does it anyway.”  She replied as she noticed my hands twitching on my lap.

  “It’s glad to be back.”  I smiled.  Reaching out I brushed my fingers over the smooth scales.  Her wings fluttered under my touch, tickling my hand eliciting a small laugh from me, a warm smile pulling at my lips.  “Kris never mentioned you.”

  “I figured he wouldn’t.”  She sighed, nuzzling into my hand.  “They all knew I existed, not like they were going to bring me up.  It’s unfortunate, but my Master is the reason you ended up in the state you were in.”

  “How so?”  I questioned.  Picking Nyx up I cradled her in my hands.

  “It’s for him to explain.”  She replied, curling her tail around my finger.  “They

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter