150

Red Skys and Royal Cards
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  I woke up to blinding light pouring through the heavy drapes of my bedroom.  I wasn’t sure how I got here, but I could pretty accurately guess that one of the boys had moved me from the backyard.  

  The thick blankets were pulled over me and up to my chin.  Snuggly wrapping me in their embrace.  My head had a soft throbbing, pulsing through my skull and my muscles felt sore and tense as I stiffly tried to move around.  My managed to pull my hand from below the covers and drape over my eyes to block out the blinding rays.

  “You’re up.”  Someone commented from beside me.

  Turning my head away from the light without moving my hand I looked over at Sehun sitting on the edge of my bed with his hands crushed up in the covers.  “Yeah.” My voice cracked as I replied.  My throat just slightly parched.

  “How are you feeling?”  He softly asked, not releasing his grip on the covers.

  “Would it be silly if I said I was still tired?”  I chuckled softly.

  A small smile formed over his lips.  “It would be expected.”

  “Oh!” Exclaimed a new voice from the doorway.  “She’s awake.”

  Sehun looked over at the new comer and nodded quietly before returning his gaze to me.   “She just woke up.  Are you going to tell the others?”

  “I’ll go get Lay to take a quick look at her and see how she’s doing.”

  “I’m fine, really.”  I replied as I moved to sit up and cleared my throat.

  “You passed out in the back yard, Sky.”  Lay chilled as he stood through the doors and over to my bed.  “I wouldn’t declare that as being fine.”

  “I overworked myself.”  I sighed.  “Nothing to be so worked up over.”

  I would have to once again join the competition as it was no doubt still going on, even with the panic I was sure was still spreading through the campus.  It wouldn’t be like Dealers to end such an important event over something like the almost mass murder.  I wouldn’t doubt if there was already work being done to cover everything up. 

  Mother was no doubt helping with that.

  “Sky.”

  “I’m fine, Lay.”  I reassured.  “I have another match today, so can you get everyone ready while I shower and change?”

  “I don’t advise you go.”

  I released a soft sigh.  “It’s not like I have a choice.”

  Once the boys had left I slid out of bed and made my way to the shower and let the hot water sooth me.

  “I need to be careful.”  I said to myself as I lathered my hair with white strawberry scented shampoo.  “Without my core, I’m far stronger than I ever imagined.  I no longer need to connect with their bonds to use my Ability.  I no longer require a direct connection with them as their power freely flows through my being.”

  I tilted my head back and let the water rinse the soapy suds down the drain.  “I have relied on the fact that I could not show my Ability to anyone so long as I never let myself connect with their bonds to allow me to do such.  Now, at any moment, I may use my Ability without meaning to.  It would be so easy and so very dangerous.”

  I sighed as the last of the bubbles flowed down the drain and I turned the water off.

 

  The stands were more barren of students than usual.  With everything that happened at the last match I attended the other day, it was no surprise that very few ventured out for fear of that event unfolding again.  My cousins were nowhere in sight and I doubted they would show with everything they had to take care of after the incident.

  Although, now I wouldn’t doubt my mother had gotten herself involved since she had made a visit to the campus.  She wouldn’t leave it to my cousins to handle on their own when she was more experienced and knowledgable to what was going on.

  I knew I wouldn’t see her much while she was here.  She hid this world from me for a reason and had hidden me from the world for that same reason.  She wouldn’t go and mess with that, not after so much effort over the years.

  Myself and my opponent where standing at our marks on the field waiting for the teacher overseeing our fight to allow us to commence.  My Warriors were off sitting in the bleachers far away from the sprinkling of students scattered around.  Their worry very clear and distinct to me as I waited anxiously to begin.

  Once the match was commenced, it did not last for long.  My opponent barely even attacked me, and rarely tried to land a direct hit.  He had the barest of flinches every time I attacked, and he rarely ever looked up from the ground.

  He was weak, skittish and afraid.  it didn’t take long before I landed a good solid kick to his side.  He hit the ground hard, and skid along it a little.  Made no move to get up.

  I let out a disbelieving breath.  Not once have I seen any Dealer so weak in fighting as this one, they all at least tried to win.  He didn’t even seen to be trying at all.

  When it was called I went back to my mark.  Once we were free to move i went over to the first year who was still sprawled on the ground.  I crouched at his side and met his eyes. “You okay?  I didn’t mean to hit you that hard.”

  He made a pained smile as his hands pressed lightly on the base of his right ribcage.  “I wouldn’t expect anything less from you.”

  I furrowed my eyes brows.  “How do you mean?”

  “I’ve watched you fight in the past.”  He commented as he struggled to sit up.  I grabbed his hand with my right hand and used my left to help push him up into a sitting position from his shoulder.  “You have a lethal fighting style.  You hold back on every punch, pull back with ea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter