153

Red Skys and Royal Cards
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  The door ominously creaked open to reveal a dank, damp brick hallway.  The scent of the musty walls filled my senses as I tried to adjust quickly to the dim light surrounding us.  Small oil lanterns were hung from the walls at ten-foot intervals, giving off small amounts of light.  It was just enough to be able to decipher where we were going.

  As we rounded the curve in the brick pathway stairs began to descend and lead us lower into the depths of the labyrinth of the tunnels.  Increasing the pull of gravity on my body I descended down with Carter at my side.  It was becoming easier to control my Ability of flight the longer I continued to use it.

  I took some time to look around us.  The dark brick had small trickles of water flowing down them that dripped onto the stairs and made them slick and glossy in the low light.  Only adding to the eerie feel of the place. 

  One-by-one new paths began to emerge from either side of the lit corridor we were following.  Some had light flickering off in the distance, giving me the creeps and subsequently making me move slightly closer to Carter.

  We remained in silence as Carter led us down the marked path, which took us down many corridors and steep stairwells.  Without the lanterns guiding our way it would be so easy to get lost down here.

  “We have to veer from the path slightly.”  Carter warned me as he picked one of the lanterns off its hook on the wall.  “There’s a back way into all the rooms down here that have so far been discovered.  The Descendant always enters through a separate passage.”

  I looked over at him quizzically.  “Why is that?”

  Carter shrugged but didn’t say another thing as he raised the lantern to eye level on his left.  Passing three more corridors on the left along the lit path, he finally veered down the forth pitch-black passageway.

  The audible sound of flowing water grew louder and louder as we ventured further from the marked path.  We were only able to see two meters in front and behind us from the flickering glow of the lantern.

  At each opening Carter would stop and look down it before shaking his head and slowly moving on to the next one when it showed from the light spilling into it.

  Sometimes he would take a few steps down the passageway before turning around and going back the way we were originally going.  It didn’t appear he had a clue where he was going to be brutally honest, but I didn’t want to say anything least he confirm that we were actually lost in these tunnels.

  “Here we are.” Carter mumbled as he took the right turn once we reached it.  “I always forget this one is farther long than most others down here.”  I couldn’t tell if he was talking to himself, or me, so I’ll keep quite and not comment.

  The constant sound of moving water only grew louder and louder as we continued walking further into the darkness.   The dampness on the walls only seemed to increase and a gentle breeze was becoming noticeable as it brushed past me.

  “You can create light, can you not?”  Carter suddenly asked in the silence pressing on us making me jump from the startle. 

  “I can.”  I answered aloud as he did.  “Why?”

  “We are going to need a lot more light to navigate the path we have to take not far ahead.  This isn’t an easy way.  Lots of stairs, twists and turns and steep drops.  For experience, you are welcome to walk with me until we get closer.  Give you a break from all the energy you must be using to maintain hold our you Ability.”  Carter explained as he once again stopped at an opening to a dark humid corridor.

  “Sure, you’ll just have to give me a moment to make the light.”  I replied as I lowered myself to the ground slowly and began to let air move around me as it wanted.

  Shutting my eyes, I lit that spark inside me where my core used to be so a soft light began to glow.  I opened my eyes and curled my lip as the light rays – if I could even call them that – filled my vision.  The firelight from the lantern was hideous to look at.  I’ll take Chanyeol’s produced fire over natural fire any day.  At least his had a general flow.

  This was an absolute mess.  It was small short rays of light being spit out of the flame and sent of in every direction.  They would pulse in brightness and intensity of their colour.  How fire was ever able to produce such pretty lightshows to the eyes was disbelieving after seeing this.  But I would have to work with it since that was all the light that was down here.  I still don’t know how to make my own light from darkness just yet.

  “After I do this, you have to get ride of the lantern, it’s really hard to see with it messing up the view around me.”  I said much harsher than I intended.

  “If you wish.”  Carter kindly replied.  “Once you have your light we will proceed.  We go no further without it.”

  Hating the fact I had to touch those light rays, I begrudgingly reached out and twisted my fingers between a passing strand of ugly pulsating light.  It easily curled around my hand and quickly detached from the main light source.  Threads of vivid red sparked through it before the ugly light was engulfed by the color of my internal spark.

  The red light shaped itself into a ball, hovering over the center of my palm.  I was still not very good at judging how bright anything was to other’s eyes.  To me it already had a visible light to it, but it wasn’t to anyone else.

  “You’ll have to tell me when it is bright enough, I can’t tell in this state.”  I told him as one-by-one I let stands of light reach out as far as they could go.  One-by-one I allowed more and more of the light rays to reach out around us.

  “Can you make it brighter should we need it?”  Carter questioned.  I hummed in affirmation.  “Then it will be good enough for now.  Let’s proceed ahead.”

  Carter extinguished the horrible lantern flame that was intruding on my vision.  He kept it in his possession as he began to move ahead, but held it at his side, as it no longer had a us

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter