118

Red Skys and Royal Cards
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  We spent the rest of the day going around to watch different fights.  I personally preferred to watch the Warrior combats since I was able to observe and learn from the different styles being used.  I was able to pick up on what each Specialty could do and how the strength of the Cards evolved over time.

  Watching some of my classmates was actually rather hilarious when compared to what the second and third years could do.  I won’t even bother putting them against the forth years, it would be an absolute disgrace to their ability.  The forth years have this skill that just puts them far beyond that of those below them.

  Watching the way the Warriors could manipulate their elements, the skill they had at being able to do what they can do even when restricted by what their Dealers wanted them to do.  I’d ask some of the boys while we were watching the matches what their thoughts on what the Warriors were doing and where they were being held back.

  The responses they gave me were always rather shocking.  Even if they didn’t relate to the Specialty I was asking about they could still pick up on where they were being held back.  If I wasn’t specific with my questions, as I learned, they would continue to talk and point out everything. 

  They would narrate the entire fight with everything the Warrior could do better or differently.  If it was their Specialty – or in the case of a most of them, their previous Specialty – they always had even more to say, as well as suggestions on what to do better.  And I was never one to miss the times when they started laughing at what some of the Dealers were having their Warriors do.  Their chatter and commentary allowed me to learn more about what Warriors do and what my boys were capable of doing.

  They’d started to be more outgoing after that in public.  If I’d known that all it would take was for them to watch fights and comment on them for them to be expressive and out there in public I would have tried to do this weeks ago.  Without the constraints of the classes and constant watchful and hateful eyes, they were actually able to let go and speak and talk freely.

  They acted like they would at home when it was just us out on the streets of the Academy and while sitting and watching fights.  It was like a breath of fresh air to be able to be like this with them all the time.  It was good to be able to have this experience with them out of the house and with each other.

* * *

  “Can we train tonight?  Or at least let me get some practice in?”  I questioned the boys that now stood in front of me in the back yard out by the pond.

  My first match is the next day against the idiot that thinks he’s so much better than me.  I haven’t had a proper training session with the guys for a while now and with my first fight looming over me for the next day I want to get as much practice in as I can get.

  I probably don’t need much to be able to win against my classmate, but it doesn’t hurt to warm up and prepare.  I’m going to have to tone down the strength I use, and even then I’m going to have to be cautious during the fight.  I can’t hurt any of them too badly; I just have to prove myself.

  But that isn’t going to stop me from toying with them.  I plan to enjoy this thoroughly.

  “I could use a work out.”  Kai said as he cracked his knuckles.

  “It might do us some good to get some training in.  Let out some steam and relax for a bit.”  Suho replied.

  With the approval of all the others we split up into two groups that would individually go against each other.  I was going to be against D.O first and I wasn’t sure if that was a good thing or not.  D.O was an amazing fighter, and I was aware he had extra strength that the others didn’t have built in with his Specialty and no one ever said anything against using the powers we possess.

  I probably should have told the boys not to use their Specialties while fighting, but they need to train and use them.  I have my Ability, and while I don’t know exactly how it works, I know enough to be able to fight decently with it.  Only one problem with this though, I don’t know how to do everything with it like they do.

  Either way I end up disadvantaged and there isn’t anything I can do about it.  I can come a little closer to leveling the playing field but it still isn’t enough to give me a good advantage.

  I can only hope they aren’t going to do anything I can’t counter or protect myself against with the limited knowledge of my Ability that they have given me.  Taking a deep breath I got into position in front of D.O who mirrored my stance.

  I watched him closely as I waited for him to make the first move.  I watched as his muscles moved and bunched as he prepared to surge forward and make the first punch.  I watched as his eyes never lost focus on me as they calculated the best place to strike.

  All my concentration was put on this fight and what was going on around me.  I didn’t let the wind or other useless sounds invade my senses and distract me.  I tuned out the chatter of the guys watching so it wouldn’t come to snag my focus.

  Lightning quick I raised my forearm to block the punch D.O threw towards me before kicking my leg out and slamming it into his side.  I didn’t give him a chance to counter before I shot back out of his reach and watched him recover from the solid hit I gave him.

  He didn’t wait to lung back towards me and get his arm around my shoulders and flip me over.  I landed on the ground on my back with an irritated growl; flipping myself up I spun back around and ducked under then arm aiming for my head.  Both of us are taking this seriously now.

  I smirked before I made the first move on him.  Maneuvering around him as I dodged his attacks I got to his back and sent him to his knees with a powerful kick to the back of his knees.  In the same fluid movement I spun and sent my over leg slamming across his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter