Knight in Shining Armor

Cute Bunny - One-shot Request Shop [Busy~]

Requester
SHINeeMe08

Pairing
Sungjae and Namjoo

Genres
Romance angst

Plot
Author's Choice

Author
SMTownR

 

 

    Namjoo giggled like a high schooler as she hid herself behind the wall. Again she took a peek at her handsome friend, Lee Minhyuk. He was standing and was surrounded by his colleagues. Lee Minhyuk was once again titled the employee of the month and she had never been so proud. Well, maybe she was more proud of him than of herself because of the tiny crush she has on him. She stood straight and then straightened her shirt that she would always make sure were crisp and not crumbled. Pulling out her phone and switching on the camera she checked her hair.
 

Perfect, she thought.
 

Then she started walking towards him with a huge smile. Minhyuk's head turned to look at the girl who always cling onto him with a frown but managed to hide it.
 

"Congratulations, Minhyuk-ah!" Namjoo though internally cheering spoke to him in a very formal way. Minhyuk knew that she was holding back because he knew how hyperactive she could get. She was not sophisticated as she brings herself to be. She was just another annoying clingy girl in front of his eyes.
 

"Yeah, thank you." He just shrugged and ignored her as he continued chatting with his co-workers. Namjoo smiled and left to her seat but still watched him. 
 


Every month the Employee of the month would hold a party and everyone was invited. The party was held in a small family restaurant which was owned by Minhyuk's parents. His parents were happy to accommodate his co-workers due to his achievement. Namjoo smiled at his parents and greeted them with politeness. They did gush on her and how perfect she would make as a daughter in law. This flattered Namjoo a lot knowing that she earned the invisible approval from her crush's parents.
 

Everyone by now was drunk and wasted; some heads laid on the table signifying that they were dead drunk while some were mumbling about some nonsense. Namjoo had limited herself from alcohol since she had to drive back home and she did not want to be charged of DUI. 
 

She did not join Minhyuk's table since the whole table was occupied by his closest friends: Eunkwang, Sungjae, Changsub, Hyunsik, Peniel and Ilhoon. She decided to approach them since the occupants on her table were wasted.
 

But, a phone call led her to leave the noisy restaurant which was caused by some younger employees who were playing games. The phone all was brief since it was concerning about her bank details.
 

Namjoo returned but the very mention of her name led her to hide behind the wall away from their sight but just enough for her to eavesdrop on the conversation.
 

Namjoo heard the familiar groan. "I hate her. She thinks she stands a chance and no matter how many times I reject her she still clings on to me like a monkey." Namjoo felt her heart drop. So, that was how he saw her, an annoying monkey.
 

"Dude, she's pretty and ambitious. She's very good at her job." One had said, Eunkwang she thought. Of course, it must be him. He was very nice and kind to her and she did know that he once tried to court her. 
 

"But, she rejected you." Changsub replied.
 

"She might be all that but not my style. A girl should know when a man draws a line. She needs to learn her place sometimes. She scared all the girls especially Yoona. She knew that I like Yoona and she is a for scaring them off. Yoona told me she's a bully." Minhyuk said and she heard some gasp at the revelation.
 

Namjoo fisted her hands and was ready to go retort. She stepped away from the wall but only to be dragged behind it. Her right hand was held by a strong grip. She turned to look at who stopped her and was shocked to see Sungjae, Minhyuk's friend.
 

"They are drunk." He remarked.
 

"That doesn't allow him to tell that and I want to clarify the truth." Namjoo retorted.
 

Sungjae sighed and looked at the back of his wrist. "I must go home. I don't have a ride and considering the fact that you are not drunk I'm assuming that you brought your car."
 

Namjoo rolled her eyes and pulled her hand from his grip and crossed her arms. "And why should I?"
 

"Drop me home and I'll tell that you are not a bully."
 

"I don't need you to defend me."
 

"Well, trust me cuz everyone trust my words. I have some things on Yoona so I can expose her for being the real ."
 

Namjoo looked at the group that just talked on her. The crush she had on Minhyuk had just vanished in mere seconds. "Let me just go grab my bag." She told and left to her previous table and grabbed all her stuff.
 

Sungjae stared at her waiting for her. Though she had posed herself to be clingy and annoying around his friend, he knew that she is different than she brings herself to be. Society has molded her to act accordingly to her situation. He had always wanted to know the real her. After all, she was someone that had always intrigued him.
 

***
 

It's been a week since she had driven him home and a week since he started hanging around her. 
 

Namjoo was surprised when they walked in together and he had given her coffee. The next day he has dragged her to lunch. She did not bring up the conversation regarding him defending her, she really did not need that help because she was capable of handling her own problems. And the rest of the week he had been dragging her for lunch and coffee breaks.
 

"I thought you will cry your eyes out when you find out that Minhyuk doesn't like you." He told her one day.
 

Namjoo sighed. "I knew it long time ago. He didn't have to voice it out but maybe I needed it to really move on. I did want to act like those clingy es in the dramas. Haven't you ever thought that they deserve a better love story?"
 

Sungjae hummed. "I do feel pity for them but they don't need to really chase over such losers." He leaned backwards and crossed his arms np whine his head. "Girls like them too should wait for the man to chase them."
 

Namjoo leaned forward and smacked his head lightly but hard enough for the pain to linger for a moment. "Ow! What was that for!" He cried while she chuckled for the first time in his presence.
 

"Love doesn't work that way. When the timing is right the two lover would know it." She stood up and pulled out her purse. "Today's on me." She left to the counter to pay while Sungjae stared at her as he rubbed her forehead. Damn! I like her, he thought with a goofy smile playing on his lips.
 

***
 

Namjoo had been promoted as the manager of another floor and was transferred there. Three days ago she did not arrive to work but the day she arrived her co workers and subordinates were whispering around as they looked at her with scrutinizing eyes. She shrugged and walked to her newly assigned office and she saw Sungjae standing outside.
 

It's been a month eversince Namjoo decided to move on from Minhyuk and eversince Sungjae decided to hang around her and pester her. Though she did find his presence annoying nevertheless she enjoyed his presence around her. Being with him was a comfort she had never ever experienced.
 

"Sungjae, what are you doing here?" Sungjae worked at another floor so she was confused since they did not meet until break time.
 

"Ah, Namjoo." He let out a sigh of relief much to her confusion and jumped into hugging her. Namjoo's heart raced as she felt his arms encircled her but she understood that something was wrong for him to act out like this despite the people were now looking at them and intensifying their murmurs.
 

"Sungjae, what's wrong?" She asked breaking from the hug. "Let's speak inside."
 

Sungjae nodded and followed Namjoo inside before turning to look at the employees and shooting them a glare.
 

"Namjoo, did you hear anything?" He asked as he took a seat in front of her.
 

She shook her head as she proceeded to switch on her cpu and monitor.
 

"Why? Am I supposed to know something? Ah! By the way, what's wrong with the people today?" She asked now looking at him. 
 

Sungjae sighed, "you have to not panic. Someone spreaded rumours that you slept around to get into promotion. It was in the bulletin board."
 

Namjoo's eyes widened. She did what? What the ! Who the hell had such balls to spread such false rumours! Now, she understood why everyone whispered while looking at her.
 

She stood up in rage accidentally pushing the desk against Sungjae's chest making him hiss in pain.
 

"Wait, Namjoo! I have an idea who spread the rumour." He immediately said grabbing her arm from stop her from going berserk.
 

"Tell. me. who. is. it." Her voice was seething with venom. She fisted her hands trying to calm herself up.
 

"Well, I honestly already addressed this issue with the higher ups. They are probably reviewing the evidence." Sungjae said.
 

"Just tell me who is it!" Namjoo growled. "Don't tell me it's Yoona!" She looked at his face and noticed his silence.
 

"So, it is her!" She pushed him and hurried down stairs where Yoona was stationed. She was going to make that woman bald. Yoona had asked for it.
 


Sungjae regained his composure and finally realized what was going to happen. He immediately followed her heels and stopped when Namjoo and Yoona came face to face. Sungjae felt the tension rise and by now everyone surrounded the pair. Sungjae could almost see the lasers shooting from both their eyes.
 

"Namjoo." He whispered.
 

"So, the here has come to see me. What do I owe the pleasure for? Oh, are you telling me that you offer services to women too? Oops, sorry dear I don't swing that way though." 
 

Every words coming out from Yoona's mouth did not only anger Namjoo but also Sungjae so before Namjoo could act Sungjae swung a slap across Yoona's face.
 

"Do you know how much of your words had cost the career of many people? You shamelessly accuse people for your benefit! But, your games end here today Choi Yoona. I have already sent evidences against you to the higher ups. It's about time they come here to question you." He spat out and then grabbed Namjoo's hand.
 

Then he proceeded to drag her away from the mess of the people but before that he stopped. "Plus, you lot are dumb to believe words without evidences. Namjoo is innocent. She may not be the best person but atleast she is blunt and true to herself unlike you fake people trying to kiss asses."


They were now in the terrace of the building. The place where they usually spend time during their breaks. Namjoo was leaning on the rail looking over the horizon while Sungjae returned from bringing a drink from the vending machine.
 

"Here." He handed over a can of soda. "Something cool to cool us down."
 

She accepted it silently and sipped it slowly. After a good few minutes of silence she opened . "Thank you." 
 

She sighed and looked at him. "Thank you very much Sungjae. I .. It's not about the humiliation. It's just that ... I have been misunderstood my whole life but you were the only one to see me for who I am."
 

Sungjae smiled. "People are all blinded in this superficial world. Do you want to know a secret?"
 

Namjoo hummed in response still staring at him and suddenly noticing how handsome he was. She blushed at the thought.
 

"I have never slapped a woman." His eyes suddenly widened and he messed the neatly combed locks of hair. "!"
 

"Was that the secret or just sudden realization?" Namjoo asked with a chuckle and suddenly started laughing louder as she bended when Sungjae looked at her with a glare.
 

"Well," he coughed. "That was not the secret. The secret is that I like you."
 

She stopped laughing when she heard those three words come from his mouth. "Wha-" hanged open.
 

Sungjae knelt in front her and took her hand into his. "Will you give this man a chance?"
 

Namjoo smiled and nodded. "He is the only man who deserves a chance. I like you too, Sungjae."
 

Sungjae grabbed her into a bone crushing hug and pecked her forehead multiple times.
 

"Thank you Namjoo." He murmured against her hair.
 

"No, thank you Sungjae for believing in me and helping me."
 


They had been spending an hour in the rooftop and no one did come searched for them. They had also left their mobile at their office. The two of them were cuddling when Namjoo asked, "do you think that by now Yoona is being punished?" She let her head nuzzle on his chest.
 

"Even worse! She must be fired by now. She would not be recommended any where. She had made a lot of employees suffer."
 

She threaded her fingers with his. "My knight in shining armor." She took his hand and placed a kiss.


 

 

Sorry for taking time. I was out of my house a lot the past few days. I hope this is to your liking. Enjoy and comment.