Selfless Fool

Cute Bunny - One-shot Request Shop [Busy~]

Requester
Cookiequeen-


Characters
(NCT) Huang Renjun and Lee Donghyuck | Kim Hyerae (OC)


Genres
Fluff, Romance, and Slices of Angst
Slight-drama



Plot
hyerae has been liking renjun for two years since their first met at their school registration. and for renjun, he just didn't want to admit his own feelings since he knew his close friend, haechan likes the same girl. hyerae once confessed to renjun and the poor girl got rejected right away and he even told her, not to tell haechan about this confessions since he didn't want him to know. jeno and jaemin who is hyerae's sidekicks , kind of pissed off with renjun's attitudes and decide to help them so they could get together with haechan 's consent.


Author
Charlot1081



 



    The summer break is up and students flood the school grounds for another year.  Students run around to catch their classes and study at the library.  Renjun is on a hunt today.  He is finished with his first class of the day and is walking around with a sticky-note on his fingers.

The sticky-note had a clue on it.  It told him to "walk around the spot of happiness and follow the path to knowledge."  Renjun walked around the fountain that was placed between the main school building and campus gate.  He then started on the path that goes to the library.  Once he met with the overhang, he saw something odd on a brick.

He rubbed away the red lipstick that painted over a black arrow.  He followed the arrow to a table.  He got stares from a few students; however, he ignored them as he looked under the table to find another sticky-note.  Whoever is doing this better not get me late to the next class..  Renjun thought as he took the note.

"Finish your next class before going to the folliage of the earth."  Renjun read aloud.  Good, this person is knowledged on my schedule..  He smirked before running back to the main building.


Right after finishing the next class, he had another fifteen minutes before he needed to go to the next class.  He walked around the campus until he found the biggest tree in a closed off area.  He looked at his watch and sighed in relief that he's still got plenty of time before his next class.

He looks around the tree for a clue.  "Hmm, where is it?"

He heard a branch being stepped on.  He automatically turned around and saw one of his friends that happened to be a girl.  "Hyerae?  What are you doing here?  Did you get these weird messages too?"  He asked as he walked toward her.

They met each other half-way.  "I'm the one who put those messages around.."  She said with a shy smile.

"Oh.. Very clever."  He patted her head.  "No wonder, I was starting to freak out that there might be a stalker on the campus."  He laughed.

The short girl looked up at him while holding her arm.  "I know we don't have much more time before our next class, but I wanted to talk to you."  She said seriously.

Renjun's smile slightly falters as he followed her until they reached back to the tree.  "What's up?"  He asked in a concerned tone.


"I.."  She played with her nails with a light tint of pint on her cheeks.  "I like you, Renjun." 


"What?"  Renjun was confused.

"I like you.  Ever since we met, I've found you really handsome.  After these years, I've learned what kind of character you have, and it's just as attractive as your looks."  She confessed as she took his hands in hers.


His heart started beating rediculously.  This should have been me telling her my feelings..  Of course Renjun has been crushing on her for the same amount of time.  How could he not fall for such a girl that is his exact ideal-type?  Donghyuck..  His friend comes to mind.

Donghyuck, his friend he's had since forever it seems, told Renjun that he likes Hyerae.  Already a year into knowing Hyerae and her close friends,
Donghyuck told Renjun his most valued secret.  I can't hurt him just for my feelings..

"I'm sorry,"  He spoke.

Her eyebrows twitched.  "S-sorry?  Sorry for what, Renjun?"  She asked in a slightly-shaky voice.

"I can't accept your feelings."  He said in a low voice.  "I.. don't have a mutual feeling for you."  He lied. 


Seeing her tears suddenly appear made his stomach turn.  He turned away so that she didn't have to see his self-disappointed face.  "Don't tell
Donghyuck about this."  He said before walking away from the girl with powerful steps.  I don't deserve her..  Donghyuck does.  He told himself as he walked the path to the main building.


Hyerae leaned on the tree with her tears slowly going down her cheeks.  The words were sinking into her and were weighing her down like a ton of bricks.  H-he doesn't like me?  But..  She was sure that Renjun had mutual feelings.  He has been giving her signals that would point to him liking her back.

"Maybe I was wrong?"  She said aloud as she slowly walked to the building. 

She dreaded the next classes—the whole rest of the year.  They have the same classes as per their request.  Being that one of her close friends, Jaemin, is the son of the school chairman, the group of five were put in the same classes.  She slid the door to the classroom open and saw the other students looking at her.

"Miss Kim,"  The teacher put down the chalk and book he had in his hands, "what's the reason for your tardiness?  I know you to be prompt."  He asked with concern.


It's true.  The teachers found her to be the poster child for attendence through the years.  "I almost sent Renjun or Jeno to go find you."  He said as he put his hand on her shoulder, looking at her eyes.  "Have you been crying?"


This teacher was just being so nice to her.  "I'm sorry, Teacher Lee, it won't happen again."  She bowed as she kept in her sniffle.  "I'm fine, I promise."

"Alright.."  He watched her sit down next to another student named Jaemin, her other close friend.


"Hey,"  Jaemin whispered, "let's talk after class."

Hyerae nodded as she reached inside her desk to get the book out for this class.


***

Jaemin and Jeno walk with Hyerae after the whole school day.  Since they live close together, they walk home together.  The boys look at each other and sigh.  Reading each other's eyes they nod.  She's usually not this quiet on the way back home.  They both hold her arms.

"Hyerae,"  Jeno started, "let's talk." 

"About what?"  Hyerae asked even though she already knew what they were talking about.


Jaemin sat them down on a bench and looked into Hyerae's eyes.  "Ever since history class, you've been so silent.  What's going on?"

Hyerae sighed and looked at her shoes.  "I've told you countless times that I like Renjun.  But the only time that I told him, he rejected me."  She raised her eyebrows in despair.  "He said not to tell
Donghyuck, either.."

Jeno looked up at the other male with on eyebrow raised.  They both nod and stand her up.  "Alright, don't worry about this.  I'm sure he just needs some more time to think."  Jeno said as he linked his arm with the girl.

"We've known each other for a couple years now-"

"Exactly,"  Jaemin interrupted, "how was he supposed to react?  You two have been in a mutual friend-zone for two years.  He has respect for your personal space and feelings."  Jaemin reasoned.


Obviously, anyone could tell that there were some feeling sparking between them back in the day.  However, the two were quick to pick up that
Donghyuck would be a possible rival.  They walk Hyerae home and watch her go into the house.

"Thinking what I'm thinking?"  Jaemin asked as he put his hands in his pockets.

"Go talk to
Donghyuck before we confront Renjun about it?"  Jeno asked.


Jaemin nodded and turned around with the other male.  They then begin their short journey to Haechan's house.  Arriving not but ten minutes due to their faster pace,
Donghyuck's mother lets them into the house.  They walk up the stairs and knock on the door that had his name on it.

The door opened and
Donghyuck was drying his hair.  "Hey, Guys.  What's going on?"  He asked as he let them into his room.


"It's about Hyerae,"  Jeno started as he took a seat on
Donghyuck's desk chair while Jaemin leaned back against the desk. 

Donghyuck put the towel in the basket next to the door before sitting down on his bed and facing them.  "Go on."  He told them as he became interested.

"She didn't seem quite herself today, wouldn't you agree?"  Jaemin stated as he crossed his leg.

"It's the first day, everyone's not quite the same on the first day of school." 
Donghyuck laughed with his reason.  "I usually don't drink as much water between classes, but I drank a lot today."  He gave an example.


Jeno pursed his lips.  "No,"  He started, "Hyerae is depressed.  We've already spoken to her."  He gave information, making
Donghyuck sit up straight on his bed.

"What happened?"  He asked seriously.

"It'll get found out eventually, so we're just going to tell you to save the weeks of awkwardness and sadness."  Jeno stated as he straightened up in the chair and folded his arms.  "It's been apearant that Renjun has had a crush on her for awhile now."



Donghyuck looked down at the carpet.  "Really now.."

"And she's been crushing on him ever since day one.  Really, she floods us each and every day about her feelings for him."  Jaemin stood up and put his arms in the air. 


Jeno calmed the other down.  "So you could probably see how this is going."  Jeno said as he relaxed on the chair.  "She told him today, and he rejected her. 

"He told her not to tell you about it.  Care to explain what that's all about?"  He continued as he watched
Donghyuck purse his lips and on them.


"Well, I like her too.  And I've told Renjun that.  So he must have told her that so I didn't get mad..  This guy.."  
Donghyuck smiled and shook his head.  "I'll have a talking with him.  Don't worry, this will probably only last a couple more days."  He stood up.


The other two stand up properly and walk to the bedroom door with
Donghyuck.  "Glad that you didn't go boom.  But it seems like Renjun likes Hyerae too.  I hope there's nothing too horrible with this."  Jeno mentioned.


Donghyuck nodded.  "I'll think of something.  Stay safe on your way back."  He waved to them as they exited his bedroom.


They left the house and turn the direction of Renjun's apartment.  "One more thing to do.. Owh my legs are starting to hurt."  Jaemin muttered as they walk.

"Hey, go on back home and I'll talk with Renjun."  Jaemin told, holding the other's shoulder. 

Jeno nodded and hugged the other male.  "Thanks, Bro.  Good luck and tell me how it goes."  He said before turning the direction of his home.


Jaemin sighed and continued walking despite the pain he feels in his legs.  The things we do for love..  He shook his head. 


***

"She told you?!"  Renjun ran a hand through his hair.  "Why would she do that?"

"Hey, Genius.  Have you ever stopped to wonder why she hangs out with boys?  None of the girls have any interest with her, we're the only people she hangs out with."  Jaemin told as he folded his arm.


It's been like this for the past ten minutes.  Renjun giving sour questions while Jaemin gave savage responses.  "As long as
Donghyuck doesn't find out.."  He said under his breath.

"We told him,"  Jaemin looked at his nails and clinched his teeth with Renjun's shriek-reaction, "would you be quiet?  This is an apartment, other people can hear you."


Renjun fell on his bed and looked up at the ceiling.  "I just.. Are you trying to help me or are you against me?"

Jaemin huffed.  "Neither, I want Hyerae happy.  That's my goal."  He said as he took a seat next to the lying man.  "
Donghyuck said he'd talk to you soon.  So prepare for tomorrow."

"You could have just not told him anything, you know?  Now I have to deal with-"


"Hey."  Jaemin stomped his foot on the floor and slapped the other.  "Shut up already.  You're the one that could have spoken to Hyerae.  She's crying her eyes out right now because of you."

Renjun sat up and looked straight into Jaemin's eyes.  "But..
Donghyuck-"

"But
Donghyuck nothing, Hyerae likes you not him."  Jaemin stood up.  "I'm sick of your self-disappointing attitude.  I honestly don't know what she sees in you."  Jaemin shook his head and headed for the bedroom door.


Renjun pouted his lip and watched Jaemin.  "But.."

"You better be good for her."  Jaemin said calmly.  "She really brings joy to Jeno's and my lives.  We might not like her like you and
Donghyuck do, but it still hurts us to see her cry."


Renjun furrowed his eyebrows at Jaemin's serious tone.  "I'll do my best."  He said with a shaky voice.

Jaemin nodded.  "I know, I just hope it's good enough."  He said silently as he left the other male's bedroom.


Jaemin looked at his watch and sighed.  It's past dinner and he still has homework to do.  That and his legs are killing him.


***

The next day came and
Donghyuckwas leaning against his locker.  He heard familiar voices, but none of them had Renjun with them.  He figured at Jeno and Jaemin are taking Hyerae to the classroom before time.  He kept his eyes closed and released a sigh as he waited. 

He texted Renjun to meet them at the lockers twenty minutes before school started, and he's already five minutes late.  So much for prompt..  It's only the second day of school and the atmosphere is already getting awkward.

He felt like he was being watched.  He opened his eyes as saw Renjun in front of him with furrowed eyebrows.  "Let's talk." 
Donghyuck turned around and walked them to a quiet area.


Renjun sighed and sat down on the pavement.  He looked up at the early morning sky.  "So.."

"You like Hyerae, don't you?" 
Donghyuck asked as he leaned against the wall next to where Renjun is sitting.  "You've liked her for quite awhile, I hear."

"That's right,"  Renjun confirmed, "ever since we met, I always found her looks attractive.. but obviously it's more than just that."


Donghyuck nodded and decided to sit down next to the other.  "You should have told me, Man."  He lightly punched Renjun's shoulder.  "It must have been torture for you to hear me go on about liking her."  He stated in an apologetic tone.


"I couldn't hurt you, that would be selfish too."  Renjun reasoned.


Donghyuck chuckled and put his arm around the Chinese male.  "Don't worry over it, Ren.  You've liked her longer than me, and you know her better than I do."  He commented.  "That and she said she likes you, not me.  Why try shoving two puzzle pieces together when they're not even from the same puzzle?"


Renjun looked at him with disbelief.  "You're giving up that easily?"  He asked.

"It's not giving up, Renjun.  It's called blessing.  I've liked her for a year because she's cute and I feel warm with her.  But you know what?  If she doesn't have the mutual feeling toward me, then I guess it was just a friendship love I was feeling."  He explained as he took Renjun's hand.

"Treat her with kindness, please."  
Donghyuck slightly begged.  "If she's willing to confess her feelings first, I think it's only wise to give yours to her." 


Renjun nodded with a small smile.  "Thanks, Bro."  He hugged the other.  "I'll do my best."


***



School had ended for the day and everyone is setting off for their journey back home.  Jaemin and Jeno got the memo that Renjun would be walking Hyerae home, so they stayed a fair distance away.  This was also the way back to their homes but they wanted to monitor the situation as well.

"Hyerae,"  Renjun held her hand as they cross a street together, "I'm sorry.  Can we talk?" 

"Your home is that way."  She pointed without looking.

"I know, but-"

She tore her hand out of his grip.  "Haven't you hurt me enough?"  She asked, looking up and into his eyes.


Renjun sighed and held her shoulders.  "Please let me explain myself?"  He requested.

Hyerae's mind goes back to earlier this morning when Jeno told her to just listen to what Renjun has to say.  "Fine."  She said as they continue walking.


"You see, I rejected you because..
Donghyuck likes you."  He told, knowing he'll get scolded for it later.  "And the thought of him being upset also hurt me just as much as the thought of you being upset." 

She stayed silent as they walk up to her house.  "I didn't want to be selfish and take you for myself, I wanted
Donghyuck to have a chance."  He held her hands as they stay at the porch.  "I figured that you'd be happier with Donghyuck and not with me."


She shook her head and took her hands back.  "Idiot.. I told you I like you, not
Donghyuck."  She smiled sadly.  "How can I be happier with a person I don't like in that way?"

He shrugged.  "I don't know.. I'm just a fool, that's all."  He hung his head low.

She playfully slapped Renjun's shoulder.  "I accept your apology then."  She told.  "Hopefully it isn't too awkward with you and
Donghyuck."


He shook his head and put his arms around the girl.  "No, he encouraged this."  He told as he started silently crying.  He wiped his eyes before breaking the short hug.

"I hope we can have a good school year together then."  She smiled and stood on her toes.  She kissed his cheek before taking out her keys.


Unlocking the front door, she went into the house and waved.  He waved back before the door was closed.  He looked down at the ground as he walked away with a happy sigh.




It'll be an even greater school year with you by my side.



 


I feel like that ending went by too quickly. 
However, you didn't include drama, so I didn't want it to go on too long.
Hopefully Renjun and Hyerae's relationship goes well.
Thank you so much for requesting~

<3