Hurts A Little

Me And The Girl Next Door

"I'm sorry..."

 

Dr. Guo told Qin Yang as he handed him the latest test results. Qin Yang immediately opened the folder, and read it's content. His face paled upon reading it, As he looked at the younger doctor, tears filled her eyes. 

 

"I wish it wasn't real... but..." Dr Guo said as he shook his head. "The chemotherapy is not working. The cancer cells continue to spread all throughout her body. Even a bone marrow transplant can't help her now." Qin Yang confirmed to the younger doctor. Dr. Guo nodded his head. "I know how much you wanted to treat her, to save her. I'm sorry, but it will only be a matter of weeks before we lose her." Dr. Guo said. 

 

This is one thing that Qin Yang is scared of, that he will eventually lose Jane. Even if he knew he couldn't save her life, he did his best. "I guess what matters  is that we helped prolonged her life. What we have to discuss now is how to make her comfortable on her remaining days." he told Dr. Guo. The younger doctor agreed to him. 

 

As he looked outside the window, he's thinking of his son. Wes had just became close to his mother, and if he found out her condition, it would break his heart. And Allie, she's too young to experience this. But somehow, he had to break the news to them. 

 

--

 

Qin Yang went inside Jane's room. Seeing her getting weaker each day just breaks is heart.  He wanted to blame himself for not being able to make her well. 

 

"Qin Yang?" he heard her call. He took a deep breath, and approached her on her bed. "How are you feeling, my favorite patient?" he asked, trying to be cheerful as usual. "Getting weaker every minute. It feels like I'm coming to an end..." Jane told him. 

 

Qin Yang let out a sigh, and sat on the chair beside her bed. "Tell me the truth, Qin Yang. How many days do I have left?" Jane asked. "A month, at most..." Qin Yang told her sadly. Jane gave him a sad smile. "I'm scared..." she told him. A tear rolled  on her cheek as he held her hand. "Don't be. I'll do my best to make your remaining days more comfortable..." Qin Yang told her. 

 

Jane shook her head. "I'm scared to die because I'm going to leave Allie alone. I'm scared to die, because I'm going to leave Zheng again. Allie... she's too young... she have no one, no other family than me..." Jane told him tearfully. "Let me take care of Allie." Qin Yang told her. Jane was surprised at what he said. "You'll do that for me?"  Jane asked. Qin Yang nodded his head. "I'm sure Zheng wouldn't want his sister to be alone. He won't let Allie be separated from him, and I won't let that happen." Qin Yang told her. 

 

With that, Jane broke down. She was thankful because Qin Yang was willing to take her daughter, despite what happened in the past. She tried to sat up from her bed, and hugged Qin Yang. "Thank you..." she said with tears in her eyes. "I'm so glad you're here with me, Qin Yang. I don't know what to do if I'm all alone." she cried to him. "You won't be alone, Jane. We're still your family, no matter what happened. We'll be with you until the end." he told her as he held her close. 

 

He may have failed as a doctor, but he will not fail Jane as a family. He will make sure to be there for her until the end. 

 

--

 

"There's something I want to talk to you about..."

 

Qin Yang began as he sat beside Wes on the couch. "Is this about mom?" Wes asked him. Qin Yang nodded his head. "Dad, I made my research. It says that the leukemia can be treated if there would be a bone marrow transplant. You said I'm the same blood type as mom, right? Maybe I'm a match." Wes told him with hope with his eyes. But that hope slowly faded when he saw the sadness in his father's eyes. "I'm sorry... I believe we're too late for that..." Qin Yang told his son. 

 

Wes gave his father a confused look. He looked at his Aunt Melody, who is sitting right next to him. She was crying as they were talking. "Dad? What's going on?" he asked. Qin Yang put his hand on his shoulder as he looked at him. "Wes, the cancer cells has spread all through her system. At this point, we can no longer save your mom." Qin Yang said. Wes could not believe what his father told him. "But you said she will be all right... dad? Please tell me this is a joke." Wes pleaded him. 

 

He could feel the tears forming at the corner of his eyes. "I wish I'm wrong... but that's the truth, son." Qin Yang told him. Wes had a hurt expression in his eyes. He stood up, and walked over the blank wall of the living room. He let out cry, and then punched the wall with his fist. "Zheng!" Melody shouted as she ran up to her nephew. Wes kept on punching the wall, till his fist bled. "Stop, Zheng, stop! You're hurting yourself!" Melody said as she hugged him. Wes fell on his knees as he cried. 

 

"Why?!" Wes cried. "Why did God have to take away my mom again? Why now? Why?" Wes asked as he cried. This broke his heart the most. Before, when his mom left, at least there is a chance that he would see his mother again. This time, death will be the reason for him not to be with his mother ever again. He felt guilty for not being able to forgive his mother at first, and for not giving her a chance. He was sad, and angry and scared all at the same time. 

 

Qin Yang stood  up from his seat, and walked towards his son. "Everything has a reason, son." he told him sadly. "But I don't understand the reason for this at all!" Wes cried again. Qin Yang knelt beside him and put his hand on his shoulder. "We won't be able to understand for now. But one day, we will. What we have to think of right now if how to make the last days of your mother's life more memorable. It's better if we make her happy during her last days, right?" Qin Yang told him. Wes looked at his father and cried. As Qin Yang saw him in this state, he couldn't help remember how he cried when his mother left him when he was younger. And as his father, it hurts him the most, seeing his son this way. 

 

--

 

The moment Sylvia got out of their house to see Wes, the first thing she noticed is the bandage on his hand. She got worried that Wes hurt himself. "Zheng, what happened?" she asked as she walked up to him. She took his injured hand, and looked at it. "It's nothing. Don't worry about it." Wes told her. 

 

Sylvia looked at him worriedly. "Zheng, you're my boyfriend. You can't tell me not to worry about it!" she told him. Wes tried to smile at her, but she knew better. "I'm OK. Let's go to school, all right?" he told her. As she Wes turned his back, she immediately hugged him from behind. 

 

"I know you're in pain...." she told him. Wes stopped, and was just in a daze when he heard her in pain. "Did'n't I tell you before? I'm willing to share your pain. Why don't you tell me what you're feeling?"

"I don't want to burden you."

"But I love you, and I care for you. You will never be a burden to me. If sharing your pain with me would make you feel better, then you have to do it. Don't I mean that much to you?"

 

Before he knew it, he's crying again. Tears fell from his eyes with the thought of his mother's condition. "Mom... she's... she's dying..." Wes told her. Sylvia was surprised at what he said. She broke his hugged, and turned him  to face her. "I'm scared, Fei Fei. I've never been this scared in my whole life." he told her as he cried. She held both his cheeks as she stared into his sad eyes. She had never seen him this way before. It seems like he is more broken now than that first time they met. 

 

"Zheng... I know you're scared, and you're hurt. But you can't keep this to yourself." she told him. She hugged him, and let him cry on her shoulder. "I don't know what to do, Fei Fei. I know I have to be strong, especially in front of Allie. But I'm scared... I'm so scared..." he told her. "You don't have to look brave all the time. If you're scared, then show it. There are people who cares for you that will help you go through this, and one of them is me." she told him. 

 

She held his face again, and looked at him. "Don't hurt yourself again, all right? Tell me if you can't take it anymore, and I'll just be here to help you." she told him. Wes slowly nodded his head. Then, he hugged her again, and she let him cry for a while. 

 

--

 

After his classes are over, Wes rushed to the hospital to spend some time with his mom. As he walked towards the room, he saw Allie crying outside. He sped up his steps to reach her. "Allie?" he called. Allie looked up to him. "Something happened to mommy..." Allie told him. 

 

He felt his heart beat fast. He saw the nurses and the doctors, scrambling to revive his mother. "No..." he whispered. He doesn't know what to do. All he wanted is to be by his mother's side. "Mom!" he shouted as he barged into his room. Before he could reach her bedside, Qin Yang stopped him. "Zheng, not now!" he told him as he stopped him from approaching. "Mom, no!" he shouted. "Go outside first, and let us do our job!" Qin Yang firmly told him. "But I want to be with my mom!" Wes said as he tried to struggle from his father's grip. 

 

"Zheng, just go outside. We'll revive your mom." Qin Yang told him again. "Mommy!" Wes shouted. This time, he broke down. He felt weak to even fight with his dad. Qin Yang took this opportunity to take him out of the room. The moment he got out, Allie ran to him. 

 

"Ge, I'm so scared..." Allie told him as she cried. He stared at her for a while. He wished he could be more positive and more braver in front of her, but he can't. Especially with the thought that their mom will be gone soon. "I'm scared too, Allie... Big brother's scared too." he told her. 

 

Allie cried again as she hugged her elder brother. Wes could only cry with him as they hugged. A few seconds later, his father came out of the room. "Allie, Zheng... your mom wants to see you." he told them. Wes looked up at his father, and saw his eyes were red from crying. "Dad?" he asked. Qin Yang looked away from him. "Just go and see your mother." he told them. 

 

The moment Allie and Wes went inside the room, the other nurses left the room. Qin Yang and Dr. Guo was left behind to stay. He could see how it was hard for his mother to breath, and it hurts him seeing his mother that way. 

 

"Mommy..." Allie called as she approached her bed. Although she was getting weaker, Jane used all of her strength to look at her daughter, and smile at her. "Allie...my dear..." Jane said weakly, almost in a whisper. Allie cried as Jane talked to her. "Don't... cry... my... love..." she told her. "Mommy... please don't leave me..." Allie pleaded her. 

 

Jane smiled at her. "I... won't... leave... you..." she said in between her breath. "I... will... be... your... angel... like... like... daddy..." she added. Then, she looked at Wes. Wes reached for her hand, and held her tight. "Zheng... thank... you... for... seeing... me..." she struggled to say. As Wes looked at his mom, tears began to fall from his eyes once again. "I... wish... you... and... Allie... could... be... together..." she said. Wes nodded his head. "I will take care of her. I promise, mom." he told her. 

 

Jane slowly closed her eyes. "I... love... you... two...the... most..." she said. "I love you, mommy..." Allie said tearfully. "Mom, I love you too." Wes said. "I'm... tired..." she said, her voice began to fade as she speaks. "It's all right, mommy. We're letting you go. You don't have to worry about me and Allie. I will take care if Allie. We love you so much." Wes said. 

 

Qin Yang approached her bedside, and held her hand as well. "Qin... thank... you.. for... every... thing..." she told him. "You're welcome, Jane. I love you." he told her. "I... love...you..." she told him. Wes felt Jane grip onto his hand. "Zheng... Allie... I... love... you..." she said.

 

There was a long beep on the machine, and the screen showed a flat line. Jane finally closed her eyes. Wes felt her mother's grip weaken. As she took her last breath, there was a smile on her face. "Mommy! No!" Wes cried as he hugged her dead body. 

 

All that can be heard inside the room is the cry of the people mourning from Jane's death. 

 

--

 

Jane was laid to rest a few days later. Everyone they knew came to the burial. After Jane was buried to her grave, everyone started to leave. Wes stood by her grave, staring at the mound of dirt on top of her. He thought he would have a hard time accepting her death, but he was able to let go. Maybe because he was able to forgive her, and tell her he loves her one last time. 

 

Allie stood beside her, still crying as she looked at her mother's grave. "I'm all alone now..." he heard Allie say. Wes looked at her. He knelt down, and wiped the tears from her face. "Allie, you're not alone. You have big brother with you..." he said. 

 

"And you also have Uncle Yang." Qin Yang said as he approached the two. Wes looked at him with confusion. "You can also call me Dada, if you want." Qin Yang said as he smiled at the young girl. "But... I will be sent to the orphanage, right?" Allie asked. Qin Yang shook his head. "Why would my daughter be sent to the orphanage? I promised your mommy I will take care of you." Qin Yang told her. 

 

Wes was surprised to hear what his father said. "Dad, you mean to say..." Qin Yang looked at his son, and smiled. "If it's OK with Zheng ge ge for me to take you in." Qin Yang said. Wes was surprised, but nevertheless, he was happy. He will never be apart from his sister again. Before, he wasn't sure what will happen to Allie. He want to ask his dad to take his sister in, but he decided to talk to him after his mom's burial. And now, Qin Yang has decided to take Allie in, and he was happy. 

 

"Dad..." he said as he smiled. "Before your mom died, she already made me as Allie's guardian. Allie will be with us, and you two won't be separated." Qin Yang told his son. With that, Wes hugged his father. "Thank you, dad. Thank you." he told her. After Wes let him go, Allie hugged him. "Thank you, Dada..." Allie said. Wes smiled at his sister and his dad. 

 

Qin Yang smiled at his two children. "Let's go home." he told them. "Dad, you and Allie can stay for a while. I want to linger for a while." Wes said. Qin Yang understood him, so he nodded in approval. "We'll wait for you at home." Qin Yang said. After that, they left Wes alone. 

 

Wes knelt down on the grave, and let a sad smile form on his lips. "I know you're in a better place now, mom. You're free from all the pain. Don't worry about Allie, I'll take care of her. I love you, mom..." he said. 

 

"And don't worry, Aunt Jane. We'll take care of Zheng."

 

Wes paused for a while upon hearing that voice. He stood back, and turned around. He was surprised to see Sylvia. But she wasn't alone. Diana, Wayne, Sunnee and Dylan were with her. "We'll always be here for Zheng, no matter what." Wayne said as he smiled at Wes. 

 

Wes was moved by them. He wasn't expecting them to stay with him after the funeral. "Guys..." he said, almost in tears. "Ah, did we move the great Wes Luo's heart?" Diana teased. Wes just let out a laugh. "Wes, I know we only started to get close recently, but I want you to know that Nee and I will always be with you." Dylan said with a smile. 

 

Wes let out a laugh, but he was crying at the same  time. He was so happy to have his friends around, especially at this time. The five walked up to him, and gave him a hug. 

 

If there's one good thing that happened the past few weeks, it's that Wes finally have a family. And that he knew his friends always got his back.

 

--

 

A Month Later. Australia. 

 

Chun entered his brother's office, and saw him in front of him. "What's the good news, Nic?" he asked. Nicholas smiled, and handed him a folder. Chun opened it, and smiled upon reading what's inside. 

 

"So, would you like to tell him the good news?" Nicholas asked. Chun smiled, and nodded his head. "I will."