Birthday Cake

Me And The Girl Next Door

[Flashback]

 

10 years ago.

 

"Don't open your eyes yet!"

 

Ella pouted with her eyes closed. She wanted to see the cake Chun had baked for her birthday. "But I wanna see!" she complained at him. Chun just let out a laugh. He held up the cake in his hand, trying to balance it as he lighted up the candle. "Slowly open your eyes..." he said. She did as she was told. 

 

"Happy Birthday To You

Happy Birthday To You

Happy Birthday dear Ellie

Happy Birthday To You"

 

Chun sang to her as he sat the cake on the coffee table. She smiled happily seeing how cute her birthday cake is. "Make a wish." Chun said. "Do I have to?" Ella asked him. "Of course, you have to." Chun said. Ella let out a sigh. Then, she looked at him. "But my wish already came true..." she said. 

 

She remembered, a year ago, when she made her birthday wish. She wished for him to come back in her life. After their breakup, her only prayer is for her to see him again. And God had granted her prayer, and gave her even more. 

 

Chun smiled lovingly at his wife. "Then, how about I make a wish for you, all right?" he asked. Ella smiled, and nodded her head. "I wish for my wife to be always happy and healthy. I wish for her to be by my side forever and ever and ever and ever..."

 

Ella giggled as she listened to his wish. "Of course I will be with you forever, Baobei." she said. "Then, blow the candles now." Chun said. Ella nodded her head. "Ah, I have a wish too!" Ella said. Then, she turned to the cake. "I wish my husband will always celebrate my birthday with me!" she wished. "It will come true, baobei. Trust me." Chun told her. With that, Ella blew the candle on the cake. Chun clapped his hands after that. 

 

"Give me a slice, I want to eat!" Ella said excitedly. Chun took a knife, and gave Ella a slice of the cake. She immediately took a bite of it. Chun watched her as she eat, and seeing her amazed expression made him really happy. "This is so delicious!" she told him as she took another bite. "Ah, Mrs. Wu. Did you know you're lucky, because you got to taste the very rare cake baked by Chef Chun?" Chun told her proudly. 

 

Ella could only laugh at him. "Really?" she asked. Chun nodded his head. "This cake can only be found once a year, during this day. It's so special, that none of the stores sell it not even Chef Chun's store, Something Sweet." Chun said. "Ah, I'm so lucky then." Ella said. "And you now what this cake is called?" Chun asked. "Strawberry chocolate cake with caramel?" Ella asked. Chun shook his head. "This cake is called 'The Ella'. And only one person can have this cake every year. And that is, Mrs. Ella Chen-Wu." Chun said. 

 

"Well, I'm really lucky then..." Ella said. She dipped her finger on the icing, and put it on Chun's cheek. Chun was surprised at what she did. "What are you doing? Chun asked her. He retaliated by putting icing on her nose. "Chicken face!" she shouted as she laughed. She put some more icing on his face, and Chun did the same. Before they knew it, they were both covered in icing. 

 

Both of them were laughing so hard. Chun pulled Ella into an embrace. He looked into her eyes as he smiled. "I love you so much, Ella. I thank God for this day that you were born." he said. Ella smiled back at him. "I love you too, Chun. Thank you for making my wish come true." she said. Then, he kissed her on the lips. 

 

[End Of Flashback]

 

"Ella jie?"

 

Ella's thought was interrupted by that call. She looked back, and saw Sylvia standing in the kitchen. "Oh, it's you, Sylvia." she said as she gave a faint smile. "I'm going to school now." Sylvia said, smiling at the older lady. "Then take care. And, oh! Make sure to go home early today. I'm going to cook something special for us." Ella told her. Sylvia simply nodded her head before heading out of the house. 

 

Her thoughts drifted back to Chun. Today was a special day, and she always look forward to it. Not because of the gifts or the wonderful food she's going to eat, but because she will always spend it with the man she loves. "I wonder if Chun remembers..." she thought. She knew he would. But she doesn't know if he have plans for the two of them this year.

 

--

 

"We need to go home early today." Wes told Sylvia as they walked to school. Sylvia gave him a puzzled look. "You're not the only person who told me that today." she said. Wes let out a laugh. "And who was the first person who told you to go home early?" he asked. "Ella jie." Sylvia said. 

 

Wes let out a smile as he put his hands on his pockets. "Figures..." he said. "She said she's going to make a special dinner today." Sylvia said. With that, Wes paused. Then, he looked at Sylvia. "She will?" he asked. Sylvia nodded his head. 

 

"Oh no!" he gasped. Sylvia could only give him a curious look. "Why?" she asked. "Chun ge is also preparing a special dinner for her tonight." Wes asked. "Then more food for us!" Sylvia said excitedly. Wes could only laugh at her. "Silly! It's Ella jie's birthday today!" Wes told her. 

 

Sylvia was surprised at what he said. "Didn't she tell you?" Wes asked. Sylvia shook her head. "Oh no! What will I do? I need to get her a gift!" she told him. "How about this..." Wes said as he stopped in front of her. "Let's go to a store later, and pick out a gift for Ella jie, all right?" he said. Sylvia smiled, and nodded her head.

 

--

 

Chun looked at his watch. It's only 5 PM, and he still have enough time to prepare for Ella's birthday. "Her favorite food is almost done... the cake is almost done, I just need to decorate it..." he said to himself. "Daddy Chun?" 

 

He looked at the little girl who walked up to him. "Stephy..." he said with a smile. "Can I help you cook?" she asked with a toothy smile. Chun nodded his head. "Sure! Let's make some fruit salad for Mommy Ella, OK?" he asked. Stephy nodded her head. He took a small apron, and helped to put it on to Stephy. Then, he put on  a toque on her head. "My little chef is so cute!" he gushed as he pinched her cheeks. Stephy giggled at him.

 

He helped Stephy up on a stool, and then taught her how to make the fruit salad. Once it's done, he then asked her to help him decorate the cake. 

 

"Daddy Chun, Mommy Ella's cake look delicious!" Stephy told her. "Do you know what this cake is called?" he asked. Stephy shook his head. "It's called 'The Ella'. I named it after Mommy Ella. It's a very rare cake, and I only make it on her birthday. " he said. Her eyes widened upon hearing that. "Really? Then you really love Mommy Ella because you made a cake for her." she said. 

 

Chun knelt before her, and smiled. "On your next birthday, I will make a cake and I will name it after you." Chun said. "Promise?" she asked. Chun lifted his pinky finger, and hooked it hers. "I promise." he said. Then, he put an icing on her nose, making the little girl giggle. 

 

"Ah, the little boy is playing with his food!" he heard Wes say. Stephy and Chun looked at his direction, and laughed. "Daddy Wes is home. We should stop playing with the icing." Chun said as she pouted at Stephy. Stephy simply giggled. "Little boy, you're so childish." Wes said. Chun pouted at him. 

 

"Anyway, have you seen Ella?" Chun asked as he approached him. Wes shook his head. "I find it weird, because she told Sylvia to come home early today." Wes said. Chun scratched his chin. "Then, can you and Sylvia help me? Can you decorate her house so that we could surprise her." Chun said. Wes smiled, and nodded his head. Then, Chun looked at Stephy. "Stephy, dear, do you want to help Wes ge and Sylvia jie?" she asked. Stephy smiled, and nodded her head. He walked to Stephy, and helped her down. He took her apron and toque off. Then, she ran to Wes, and held his hand. 

 

"Let's go and make a mess at the other house!" Wes told Stephy before they went to Sylvia's house. 

 

--

 

Ella walked along the street, when she passed by a pastry shop. She stopped for a while, and looked at the cakes displayed on the window. "Will Chun bake me a cake today?" she thought. Then, she let out a smile. Every year, she looks forward to the cake that Chun makes. She always look forward to spending her birthday with him. She still wonders if this birthday would be the same, like how it was 10 years ago, or she will have to spend it alone. 

 

She let out a sigh. "Why did I run away at all?" she thought. Sometimes, she's scared that Chun will get tired of her being too depressed. She's scared that he will get fed up, and leave her. When Chun followed her, secretly, she was happy. She never thought Chun will do everything to find her, and to win her back. 

 

She remembered her 27th birthday. She remembered how she wished so hard for Chun to come back in her life after they broke up. A few weeks later, he was standing before her, telling her and the whole world how much he loves her. And then, he proposed and shortly, they got married. Chun was everything she wanted, which is why she can't bring herself to make anymore birthday wish. 

 

And then, it hit her. Chun's love is more than enough for her. And nothing will compare to the birthday cake Chun will make for her. 

 

She smiled to herself, and went the opposite direction. She want to go home, and finally see the man she loves. Still, she wants to spend her birthday with him, and only him. 

 

--

 

Ella came home to find Wes' house and Sylvia's house with no lights. "What happened? They aren't home?" she thought sadly. She decided to go grocery shopping, so that she could at least prepare some dinner for them all, but seems like no one's around. She looked at her watch, it was 7:10 PM. "I think I still have time to cook...." she told herself. 

 

As she opened the door, she was surprised to see Chun, Wes, Sylvia and Stephy standing before her. The house was decorated with balloons. And with the lone light from the candle on the cake, she saw the banner which says "Happy Birthday!". 

 

"Happy Birthday!" they all shouted at her. Tears began to stream down her face as she looked at them, especially at Chun. Chun, who was holding the cake, slowly walked up to her. 

 

"Happy Birthday To You

Happy Birthday To You

Happy Birthday dear Ellie

Happy Birthday To You..."

 

Chun sang to her. She let out a smile at him, and looked at the cake. It was her cake - the only cake Chun makes for her every birthday. "Y-you... you remembered..." she said in a low voice. "How could I forget the day the girl I love was born? I can forget everything, but not everything I know about you." Chun said. 

 

Then, he felt a tug on her blouse. She looked down, and saw Stephy smiling at her. "Mommy Ella, make a wish and blow your cake!" she reminded her. She clasped her hands, and closed her eyes as she made her wish. "I wish... I wish Chun will still accept me and take me back." she said to herself. As she opened her eyes, she looked at Chun and saw him staring at her lovingly. 

 

"Happy birthday." he told her. Maybe her wish will finally come true.

 

--

 

As soon as Stephy fell asleep, Ella stood up from her bed. She walked to the balcony, and looked outside as she hugged herself. As she looked at Wes' house, she saw Chun outside the balcony as well. 

 

"Can't sleep?" he asked. She smiled, and shook her head. "Do you want to meet downstairs?" he asked again. Ella smiled, and nodded her head. A few seconds later, they met outside the house. As they were face to face, Chun smiled at her. "I can't sleep..." he said. Ella gave her a puzzled look. "Why?" she asked. "Well, aside from the fact that Wes is snoring very loudly, I don't have you in my arms. I can't sleep without you by my side." he said. 

 

Ella faintly laughed at him. "How about you, why can't you sleep?" he asked. "I've been thinking of my birthday wish."

"Why? What's your birthday wish?"

"That you will take me back, despite me running away from you and pushing you away for the past few months."

 

Chun paused as he let out a smile. A tear fell from Ella's eyes as she looked up at him. "I'm sorry, for everything. I'm sorry for being too weak. I'm sorry for wanting to give up on us. I know how much you wanted to have a family, and I can't give it to you. And I feel guilty for not being able to fulfill your dreams. I'm sorry for choosing to face this alone on my own..." she said tearfully. 

 

Chun put his hand on her shoulder and stared into her eyes. "Remember the day I proposed to you?" he asked. Ella nodded her head. "You forgot what I said that time. 'I want to take care of you when you're sick, sleep beside you each night, be the first person I see when I wake up, and the last one before I sleep. I want to grow old with you, and make lots of memories with you.' You forgot about the growing old part." he told her.

 

Then, he held both of her hands. "You are my only dream, Ella. If we won't have any children in the future, I don't care. I want to be with you till the day we grow old." he said. She stared at him as she speaks. Tears can't help but fall from her eyes. "Why are you so good to me?" she asked in tears. Chun let out a faint laugh. "Because I love Ms. Piggy very much." he said. 

 

"From now on, remember this. Your battles are my battles. If you are weak, then I will be strong to fight for you. I will never get tired, because you're worth it. Because I love you. You don't have to be scared. You don't have to face everything alone, because my love is greater than your fears." he told her. Then, he smiled as he wiped the tears from her face. 

 

"Then, do will you take me back?" she asked him. Chun let out a sigh, and pouted at her. "Chasing you is very tiring. I'll take you back if you court me." he told her. Ella let out a smile. Then, he smiled again. "I'm kidding. Of course. I will take you back. And this time, I won't ever let you go." he told her. Ella smiled at him as she gazed into his face. "I love you, Chun, my chicken face." she told him. "I love you too, Ms. Piggy."

 

Chun leaned down on her, and gave her a long kiss on the lips.