Milk And Coffee

Me And The Girl Next Door

Cafeteria. 

 

Sylvia reached for the last box of milk on the refrigerator, when another hand reached for it. She looked to her left, and saw Sam beside her, trying to reach for the milk as well. As she blushed, she looked away from him. Sam smiled at her. "You can take the milk." Sam told her. Sylvia looked at him. He let go of the milk, and took a coffee instead. "I'll have coffee this time, since I didn't have much sleep." Sam said as he grabbed a can of milk. He then grabbed the milk, and handed it to Sylvia. "Thank you." Sylvia told him. 

 

As Sam turned around to leave, Sylvia called him. "Sam?" she called. Sam paused and looked back at her. "Do you want to join us for lunch?" she asked. She slowly walked towards him, hoping this time he'll say yes. "Is it OK? Are you sure they won't mind?" Sam asked. Sylvia smiled at him. "They won't mind, trust me. They're more than happy to have an addition to our  group." Sylvia said. "All right. I'll join you guys. Besides, it gets lonely to eat lunch alone." Sam said. 

 

The two of them walked towards the table. Sam saw Wes and Wayne at one side of the table, while Diana  sits in front of them. They arrived just in time when Wayne was telling a lame joke. "Why can't a bike stand on it's own? Because it's two tired! Hahahaha! Two tired, get it?" They heard Wayne said. Diana laughed at Wayne's joke, while Wes just looked at him seriously. "That's the lamest joke I've ever heard." he said. Wayne stopped laughing, while Diana continued to laugh. "But that was so funny!" she said as she hit Wayne's arm. 

 

Wes then looked up and saw Sylvia and Sam together. Then, he let out a mischievous smile. "Oh, what do we have here? Hello, Sam." he said. "Hi, Wes." Sam said, smiling at them. "Guys, is it OK if Sam join us for lunch?" Sylvia asked. Wes and Wayne looked at each other, and then, looked at her teasingly. "Of course we wouldn't mind." Wayne said. "You're welcome in our group, Sam." Wes said. Then, he turned to Diana. "Diana, why don't you go and make way for Sylvia and Sam. Go and sit next to Wayne." Wes said, pointing to an empty space beside Wayne. Wayne gave Wes a shocked look. Nevertheless, Diana sat  beside Wayne. 

 

"It's a good thing that you joined us for lunch. You're always alone, we're worried you haven't adjusted to our school yet." Wes told Sam. "Took me sometime to adjust, but I'm OK now. Everyone here is really nice." Sam said as he glanced at Sylvia. Wes noticed the way Sam looked at his little sister. He let out a smirk as he thought of a plan to make them closer. "Let's eat! I'm hungry!" Wayne said. They all took out their lunch box. Wes noticed Sam didn't have any food. "Hey, aren't you going to eat?" Wayne asked Sam. "I didn't like the cafeteria food so I didn't buy any." Sam said. 

 

"Don't worry, I got you covered." Wes said. He then placed his lunch box in front of Sam. Sylvia was shocked when he did that, because it was the lunch she cooked and prepared for Wes. She  felt her face became pale as she gave Wes a shocked look. "Thank you, Wes." Sam said. As Sam opened the lunch box, Wes immediately snatched Sylvia's lunch box, leaving her with the sandwich Wes gave her that morning. Sylvia's face became paler as Sam opened the lunch box. 

 

"Wow, this looks delicious. Braised beef is my favorite." Sam said. Before he dig in, Sam noticed that Sylvia only had a sandwich with her. "Is that all you're going to eat?" Sam asked. "She's on a diet." Wes replied for her. Sylvia looked at him, and gave him a death glare. If her eyes could shoot electricity, Wes would be electrocuted by now. "This is really delicious." Sam said as he ate his lunch. Sylvia's plae cheeks turn into red upon hearing that. "It... it does?" she asked him. Sam nodded his head. "Whoever made this sure is a good cook." Sam said, smiling at him. Sylvia blushed even more. 

 

"Well, you must thank Sylvia then. She's the one who prepared that lunch box." Wes said. Sam then looked at Sylvia, and smiled. "Thank you for the food. It's really delicious." Sam told her. "You're welcome..." Sylvia said shyly. "I'm pretty sure you'll make a good wife one day." Sam added. Wayne and Wes looked at each other, and exchanged meaningful smiles. They did a mental high five as they watch the two become much closer.

 

"Sylvia, why don't you make Sam a lunch box tomorrow? I'm sure whatever it is you're going to cook tomorrow, he'll definitely like it." Diana suggested. Sylvia looked at her with her eyes widened. "Right! Wayne can bring me my lunch box instead." Wes said. "Wei!" Wayne said as he looked at Wes after what he said. "No,no, I'm OK. I don't want to trouble Sylvia." Sam said. "It's OK. I can prepare three lunch boxes for tomorrow." she said. Sam gave him a worried look. "Are you sure?" he asked. Sylvia smiled and nodded her head. "I can't wait for tomorrow's lunch then." Sam said. 

 

Sylvia looked at Wes, and then mouthed a thank you at him. Wes simply winked at her. 

 

--

 

After classes are over, Sylvia went up to the rooftop with a box of milk on her hand. Just as she thought, Sam is at the rooftop,  lying on the old bench as he take his rest. She walked up to him, and then bent down to look at his face. When Sam realized that someone is blocking the sun from his face, he slowly opened his eyes. He smiled the moment he saw Sylvia's smiling face. "Hello, sleeping prince charming!" she greeted him. "Am I going to get my kiss now, or should I pretend to sleep so you could kiss me?" Sam . He could clearly see her face blush  with what he said. 

 

He sat up on the bench, and then faced her. "I'm glad you came. I thought you will bail out on me." Sam said. Sylvia shook her. "I promised you, didn't I? And I brought you something, by the way." she said. She handed him the milk. "For you. As payment for the milk you gave me." she said. Sam smiled at her and took the milk from her hand. "Thank you." he said. 

 

She sat beside him. Both of them were silent for a while. Even if they were not talking, Sylvia was comfortable with their silence. "I feel at ease when I'm with him, does he feel the same way?" she thought. Then, she looked at him. She found him already staring at her. "I like being around you. I don't know why, but I feel at ease." Sam told her. Sylvia smiled at him, but inside, she's screaming with happiness. "He feels the same way!" she thought. "I feel the same way." Sylvia answered. Then, he looked away from her. "I can't remember the last time I felt this way. I had never felt comfortable with someone else except for -"

 

Sylvia saw the sadness in Sam's eyes as he speak. He looked at her, and smiled. But still, the sadness is in his eyes. "I'm glad to have someone like you." he said. Sylvia smiled at him. She then reached for his hand, and then held it. "I'm not sure what happened to you in the past. I'm not sure why you chose to be alone, or what is it that make you sad. But I want you to know that from now on, you have me as your friend. If there's anything that's bothering you, you can talk to me about it. If you just want silence, then I can accompany you, and I promise to be quiet." she told him. 

 

Then, Sam hugged Sylvia. He wasn't ready to tell Sylvia everything for now, but her assurance that she will never leave him  is just enough for him. "One day, "I will find the courage to tell you everything. But for now, your company is enough to make me happy. You make me smile, Sylvia." he said. Sylvia was surprised at what he sad, nevertheless, she was happy. "I make him smile?" she thought. Then, Sam looked into her eyes. His face inched closer to hers. "Is he... going to kiss me?" she thought. Then, she closed her eyes, anticipating her first kiss. She felt his finger wipe something from her face. 

 

Then, she heard someone call her. "Sylvia, it's time to go home." Sylvia opened her eyes, and saw Wes by the door. He had a serious look on his face, and both his arms were folded as he looked at them. Then, Sylvia looked at Sam. "There was a dirt on your face so I wiped it." Sam said. She let out a sigh. She wasn't sure what made her more disappointed - that Wes ruined her moment with Sam, or that Sam didn't kiss her. "I... I have to go. I'll see you tomorrow." Sylvia told Sam. She was a little embarrassed with what happened. 

 

Sam watched as Sylvia walked towards Wes. He saw him put his arms around her neck as they leave. Somehow, he felt his heart ache a little for her. He wanted her to stay a little bit more. If Wes had not come, maybe he would have stared at her cute face a little bit longer. He smiled to himself as he thought of her smiling face. "I'll see you tomorrow, Sylvia." he said to himself. "I can't wait for tomorrow."