The Roommate

Me And The Girl Next Door

Wes and Sylvia let Chun inside Wes' house. "I didn't know Ella jie have a husband. I didn't see a wedding ring on her finger." Wes said. "Well, when she left me in Australia, she also left her wedding ring." Chun explained. "But why did Ella jie left you?" Sylvia asked.

 

Chun let out a sigh. "It's a long story, and I don't think that two of you would understand why." Chun said. "Hey, we maybe teenagers, but we understand a lot of things." Wes told her. Chun let out another sigh. "She wanted a divorce, simply because we could no longer have baby. And she thought I'm better off to be with someone else." Chun said sadly. 

 

Sylvia was surprised at what she said. "Oh my God, I'm so sorry to hear that..." she said. "But you didn't to agree to divorce her?" Wes asked. Chun nodded his head. "I don't want to divorce her because I love her so much. Whether we'll have a child or not, I only want to spend my life with her." Chun said.

 

Wes could see the sadness in his face. He felt sorry for him. "Then, what's your plan for now?" Wes asked. "Well, I'm planning to rent a house in this area, but I think there's no house up here for leasing. I really wanted to stay as close to Ella now as possible as I can." Chun asked. Then, Wes and Sylvia gave each other a look. 

 

"Uhmmm, Chun ge, can you excuse us for a while?" Sylvia said. Chun nodded his head. Then, Sylvia pulled Wes at the other side of the house. "I know what you're planning." Wes said as he folded his arm. "And?" 

"He seems like a good guy."

"And?"

"If I offer him my place, do you think he would agree."

"I think he would! He's gonna be right next to Ella jie. Then, we can help them get back together, right?"

 

Wes was a little bit hesitant. "Aren't we supposed to stay away from their matters?" Wes asked. "Look at it this way. If we help them get back together, it's like it's part of our healing process. We two may not have our happy ending, at least we helped one couple to have one, right?" Sylvia said. 

 

He let out a sigh. Maybe, this is her way to cope with her own pain. But nevertheless, he'll support her. "All right. I will. But I have to let Aunt Melody know that I'm taking in him here." he said. "I'm pretty sure Aunt Melody will agree." she said. 

 

Then, they went back to Chun. "Well, Chun ge. If you want, you can stay here, until you and Ella jie get back together." Wes told her. Chun let out a smile. "Really?" The two nodded their head. "Thank you. Thank you so much! I promise, I'll help with the bills, help clean the house, and whip up some nice food. Or desserts." Chun said. 

 

Upon hearing the last word, Sylvia's face lightened up. "Desserts?" she asked. Chun nodded his head. "I'm a pastry chef. I'm good at making desserts and pastries." Chun said. Sylvia clasped her hand, and looked dreamily at him. "You can make cream puffs?" she asked. Chun nodded his head. "How about parfaits? Petite gateau?" she asked again. "You name any dessert or sweets that you like, I can make it." Chun said. 

 

Wes looked at Sylvia, and saw how dreamy she looked. Then, she nudged her. "Hey, when you hear the word desserts, you looked in love." He commented. "Who wouldn't fall in love with all the sweet and delicious food in the world?" Sylvia said with a dreamy look on her face. "The chocolatiest and creamiest and sweetest dessert in the world?" Chun asked. Sylvia nodded her head. 

 

Just imagining sweets made Chun and Sylvia hungry. "Ah! I can't help it. Hey, can I use the kitchen? I want to make something sweet to eat for us." Chun asked. Wes nodded his head. "Sure, but I don't like sweets. You can give my share to her." Wes said pointing at Sylvia. "Yes! More sweets for me!" Sylvia cheered. 

 

--

 

"Luo Hong Zheng, what are you thinking? Do you think I'll let you off the hook this time? I am not allowing you to live with a stranger!"

 

Melody's voice ring in Wes' ear as he talked to her over video call. "Auntie, look at it this way. At least we have two adult supervision here while Aunt Pauline and Uncle Jack is away." Wes told her. Melody folded her arms, as her looked sternly at him. "We haven't dealt with that Tia girl before. And yes, I know about it because Pauline told me and your dad. I just didn't talk to you about it yet because your dad think it's part of your phase, and to just let it go."

 

Wes let out a sigh. For sure, he knew Melody will scold him about what happened with Tia. He knew one day, she will, and he's glad that day isn't today. "Auntie, that's in the past..." he said. "More like a month ago! Ha, Wes. I didn't raise you to be stupid because of a woman. But anyway, I'll scold you some other day. Now, this Chun guy..."

"Wu Chun, auntie."

"Who is he?"

"He's Ella jie's wife. From what I know, he and Ella jie used to live in this neighborhood."

"Does he look trustworthy?"

"He is. He's handsome too. But I'm more handsome."

 

Then, there was a knock on the door. "Come in!" Wes shouted. The door opened, and Chun walked inside his room. "Hey, Wes. I made some tuna pie for you. We can go downstairs and eat together." Chun said. Wes signaled him to come over to his PC. "Auntie, good thing Chun is here. You can meet him." Wes said. Wes made way for him, and Chun looked at his PC. 

 

"Hi, Wes' auntie!" Chun waved at the screen. If a while ago, Melody seemed to be uptight, this time, he seems to loosen up upon seeing Chun's handsome face. "Hi, Chun. Welcome to our house. Please feel at home." Melody said with a smile. "Thank you for allowing me to stay here for a while. Don't worry, I'll help to look after Wes while I'm here." Chun said. "Ah, you don't have to. Wes can take care of himself." Melody said as she laughed like a school girl. 

 

Wes was confused with his aunt's sudden change of reaction. She was so against with Chun living with him, and now she's allowing him. "Auntie!" Wes shouted at her. Chun could only smile at them. "Wes didn't tell me you're so handsome. And you look trustworthy." Melody said. "I already told you that, auntie!" Wes said in defense. "Don't worry, I'm not a serial killer. More like a cereal killer. Get it? Cereal killer?" Chun said with a smile. 

 

While Melody was laughing at Chun's joke, Wes just looked at him. "Why adults make lame jokes?" he muttered. "You're so funny, Chun. I like you." Melody said. "Auntie Melody, may I remind you, you're already engaged. And he's married." Wes said. "Why, can't I like him as a person?" Melody asked. Wes let out a sigh. "You know what, let's talk later. I'm famished. Bye, Aunt Melody!"

 

Before Melody could react to him, he disconnected the call. "Your aunt sure is a fun to talk to." Chun said. Wes simply shook his head. 

 

--

 

Ella stopped what she was doing, when she smelled a familiar scent. "Those are cookies..." she thought. She followed the smell, until she found herself in front of Wes' house. 

 

"Cookies, chocolate cake, strawberry parfait, tuna pie... Chun ge, you're the best!" Sylvia said as she looked happily at the food in front of her. "Wow, this is a feast..." Wes said. Chun walked to the table, and places another plate of cookies on the table. "Can we finish those?" Wes asked, pointing at the cookies. 

 

Chun smiled. Then, she folded his sleeves, and looked at his watch. "3... 2... 1..." he said. As if on cue, Ella came inside the house. "Cookies..." Ella said, staring at the plate on the table. "Ella jie! Come on, let's eat! Chun ge prepare a lot of sweets." Sylvia said. 

 

Ella acted like a zombie as she stared at the cookies on the table. "Cookies." she said as she smiled. Wes and Sylvia looked at each other, while Chun let out a smile. He knew his plan would work on his wife. After all, she loves the cookies he makes. Then, Ella took the plate and headed back outside. 

 

"What happened to Ella jie?" Sylvia asked in confusion. "She became a zombie because of the cookies?" Wes asked. Chun just smiled. "She still can't resist those cookies." Chun told them. "Ah, Ella love the cookies you bake?" Sylvia said, finally figuring it out. Chun nodded his head. "Of all the sweets I make, Ella loves cookies the most. That's why I baked them." he said as he took his seat. 

 

"Maybe if you bake cookies everyday, Ella jie will come back to you in no time." Sylvia said. Chun let out a sigh. "I really hope it would be that easy, Sylvia. If cookies can make my woman come back to me, I'll only bake cookies for the rest of my life."  Chun told them.

 

--

 

Sam walked towards the waiting area of the airport, and saw the familiar figure he had been looking for. He held on to his carry on bag, as he approached her. 

 

"Xue Fu..." he called. Xue Fu did not bother to look up at him. "Did you get the letter from Brent?" he asked as he sat beside her. Xue Fu nodded her head. "What are you doing here?" she asked. "I know you're going back to France today..."

"And?"

"I'm coming with you."

 

Xue Fu let out a sigh. "You shouldn't do this, Sam." she said sadly. "I want to. Because I promised Brent I'll take care of you." he said. 

 

The two of them was silent, until their flight was called. Xue Fu stood up from her seat, and faced him. "You can still go back. You don't have to do this, Sam." she told him. Sam shook his head. "I want to do this." he insisted. "But that girl..."

"We broke up."

 

Xue Fu was surprised at his revelation. "Oh...." she muttered as she lowered her head. "I'm sorry..." she said. "It's all in the past now. Can we just go? Maybe, if I live in France for a while, I can forget all of these things." Sam said. "But, didn't you..."

"Let's just go." 

 

Sam stood up, and went ahead of her inside the gate. As he walked towards the plane, he reached for his pocket and took out the paper butterfly Sylvia gave him.  He stared at it sadly for a while. 

 

"I chose you, Sylvia... but I have to keep a promise..." he thought to himself. Then, he let out a sigh as he continued walking. "Wait for me..." he said to himself. "I'll come back for you, Sylvia. And when that time comes, I will never let you go..."