A Change Of Heart

Me And The Girl Next Door

Wes stared at the ceiling of his room as he laid on his bed.  He and his father were still not talking after their confrontation the day before. He thought, maybe his father is mad at him. But it's better that they aren't talking for now, after all, he's not ready to face him. 

 

His thoughts were interrupted by a call on the phone. He took his phone on the side table, and saw a video call from Chun. He let out a sigh before answering it. "Zheng ge ge!" Chun shouted childishly, making him laugh. "Chun ge, you called? How are you and the family?" Wes asked. "Well, the family is fine. Ella's back to her usual self, and Stephy is adjusting little by little. How about you?" Chun asked. "I'm fine." Wes said. Chun looked at him closely from the camera, then he gave him a skeptical look. "Are you sure?" he asked. "I am, don't worry about me." Wes said. 

 

Chun let out a sigh. "You're not OK. I can feel that." Chun told him. Then, Wes let out a sigh. "Let me guess, Fei Fei told Ella jie, and Ella jie told you, so you called to check on me, am I right?" Wes asked. Chun nodded his head. "I'm worried about you. You know, you're like a little brother that I never had. What happened? Tell Chun ge everything." Chun urged him. 

 

Wes let out a sigh, and then he began to tell everything that happened to him recently. Chun just listened to him as he was speaking. He told Chun about how he saw his mom, and his confrontation with his dad, and how he felt confused with how he feels for his mom. 

 

"You're still their son." Chun told him after he's done telling him everything. "And after all the things that happened to you in the past, I would understand if you bear a grudge against your mom. But, given what your father has told you, and how he has forgiven you mother, don't you think you should do the same thing? Do it not for your dad, or for your mom. Forgive because you needed the peace of mind and closure that you  never had before." Chun told him. "I felt it's hard to forgive..." Wes told him sadly. "I know, especially after all you've been through. But, wouldn't you regret it if you and your mom wasn't able to talk? What if something happened to her one day, and you'll never have the chance? Chun told him. 

 

Wes fell silent at what Chun told him. "Wes, you need to let go of all your resentment towards your mom. After all, she's still your mom. And it's been a long time... and didn't you say she is sick. Maybe, she will get better soon if you talk  to her." Chun told him. Wes let out another sigh. "I guess, I'll try to do it." he said. Chun just smiled at him. 

 

--

 

Wes walked downstairs, and he got down, he saw his father enter their house. The two of them looked at each other, not speaking a word. Wes let out a sigh as he walked towards the kitchen. "What do you want for dinner?" he asked his father. "It's all right, I had dinner before I came home." His father said. Wes just nodded his head. As Wes turned his back on his, he heard his father speak. 

 

"I'm sorry, son." Qin Yang told him. Wes paused, as he listened to him. "I'm sorry if I kept things from you. I'm sorry if you felt that I betrayed you. I'm sorry for everything. I... I can't force you to do things that you are not ready to do. So for now, forget about my request about you and your mom." Qin Yang added. "Why is it hard to forgive?" Wes said in a low voice. "Maybe, because you're still in pain." Qin Yang said. Qin Yang let out a sad smile. "It's unfair of me to leave you behind. I only thought of myself. While I'm trying to move on, I forgot that you were also involved here, and it would be harder for you. I thought I was saving you from too much hurt, but it's not the case." Qin Yang explained. 

 

Wes slowly turned to face him. "I understand you and what you feel right now. But Zheng, it's my duty as a doctor to save your mother's life. Even if you despise her that much, I still have to. And yes, maybe you're right. Because maybe, all this time, I still  love your mom. That love never left even after so many years. And I would do anything to keep the woman I love alive." Qin Yang added. "I'm sorry, dad..." Wes said sadly. "I'm sorry if I said anything to hurt you, or to disrespect you and mom...." Wes told him. Qin Yang smiled at him, and patted his shoulder. "I understand you. Everything happened all of a sudden, so you acted by your emotions." Qin Yang said with a smile. Wes smiled at his dad, and then, the two of them hugged. 

 

"Ah, I feel hungry..." Qin Yang told him. Wes broke their hug, and laughed. "And I thought you're not? Wait for me, I'll cook something for us." Wes said. As Wes was about to go to the kitchen, Qin Yang's phone ran. "Hello, Dr. Guo?" Qin Yang answered. Wes looked back at his father, and saw how his face fell. "Dad?" he called. "All right, I'll be there right now." Qin Yang said before ending the call. "What happened, dad?" Wes asked. "Something happened to your mom. I need to go back to her. I'm sorry, Wes, if I can't have dinner with you tonight." Qin Yang said. 

 

Wes watched as Qin Yang rushed bythe door. "Wait, dad!" he called. Then, he walked towards him. "I'll go with you." he told him. Qin Yang gave him a confused look. "Are you sure? It's your mom..." Qin Yang said. Wes nodded his head. "I'll drive you there. Besides, you're already tired. And I want to check on mom as well." Wes said. Qin Yang let out a smile. "Well, it's a start. Let's go." Qin Yang said. Wes nodded his head, and followed his father. 

 

--

 

By the time they got to Jane's hospital, room, Wes could see the nurses coming in and out of the room. There was a beeping from the machine as well. His father immediately went inside to check what can he do for Jane. "What happened?" Qin Yang. "Doc, the patient fainted a while a go." The nurse beside Jane explained. Qin Yang listened to the explanation of the nurse, as well as the result of the tests done to her. 

 

"She need to have blood transfusion now. Is the blood ready?" Qin Yang asked. "Doc, about that... we have no supply of her blood type right now." the nurse said. Qin Yang sigh in dismay upon hearing that. "Can we find someone with the same blood type as her?" Dr. Guo asked. 

 

Meanwhile, Wes was just watching from outside the room. He didn't want to come in, as he didn't get in the way of his father's work. Then, he heard someone crying beside him. He looked over his shoulder, and he saw Allie crying. He felt sorry for his little sister, so he approached her and sat beside her. "Hey... don't worry. My dad will do his best so your mommy will be healthy." he told her. Allie looked up at him, and pouted. "She's your mommy too!" she told him. Wes leaned back on his chair, and stared at the white wall in front of him. "Are you scared?" he asked her. "I am..." Allie said as she wiped her eyes. "Mommy's the only family I have, after daddy died when I was little... If she dies, then I'll be alone. I'll have no one to be with. And I'm scared to be alone." Allie said.

 

Then, she looked up at her older brother. "Aren't you scared that mommy might leave us?" she asked. Wes looked at her. "I don't know, Allie..." he said. "But you love her, right? You love mommy too, right, Zheng ge ge? Because I know mommy loves you so much." Allie told him. Wes just shrugged his shoulder. "I don't know how to feel. I never grew up with her. I haven't seen her since I was six. What should I feel towards her?" Wes said. "You should be happy that you found mommy, right? Because when I found you, I was very happy." Allie told him. 

 

Wes looked at his little sister, and he felt his heart softened a little. He took out his handkerchief, and wiped the tears from her face. "Don't cry anymore. Mommy will be all right, I promise you that." he told her. As Allie looked up at him, she let out a smile. Then, she hugged him tight. Wes found himself smiling as he patted his sister's head. 

 

A few minutes later, Qin  Yang came out  of the room. "Dad, how's mom?" Wes asked him as both he and Allie stood up to approach him. "She's a little weak right now. We're still waiting for blood for her transfusion. We're contacting other hospitals if we can find her blood type." Qin Yang explained wearily. "Uncle Yang, maybe I can donate my blood?" Allie asked. Qin Yang smiled at the little girl. "I'm sorry, Allie, but you're still young to give mommy your blood." Qin Yang said. As Wes looked saw the sad look at his sister's eyes, his heart wrenched. 

 

"Dad, maybe mom and I had the same blood type..." Wes told  his father. "Yes, both of you do have the same blood type." Qin Yang said. "Then, let me give some of my blood to mom." Wes told him. Qin Yang furrowed his brow as he stared at him. "Are you sure about this?" Qin Yang asked. Wes nodded his head. "If this would make her feel much better, then I'll do it." Wes told him. Qin Yang smiled at him. "Then, I'll make the arrangements then." Qin Yang told him. 

 

After his father left, Wes turned to his sister. Wes knelt in front of his sister, and let out a smile. "Don't worry. Mom will be OK now." he told her. Allie let out a smile at him. "Zheng ge ge, thank you." she told him before giving her brother another hug. 

 

--

 

Wes was able to donate his blood to his mom. After resting for a while, he went to her room to check on her. Jane was still asleep as Wes looked over her on her bed. "Little steps, son. little steps..." he heard his father say. Wes looked back at him, and saw him smiling at him. "Thank you for helping your mom." Qin Yang told him. "Didn't you say, it's a doctor's duty to save lives? One day, I'm going to be a doctor too. But for now, all I want is to help save a life." he said. 

 

"What made you decide to give her your blood?" Qin Yang asked him. Wes looked at his mom, and let out a sad smile. "Allie. I... I don't want her to be alone. I don't want her to feel what I felt before. I don't want her to feel the pain of being left behind, without knowing whether the person you love will come back to you or not." he told his father sadly. Qin Yang looked at his son, and let out a faint smile. Then, he patted his shoulder. "Son, remember this. What's meant to be will find it's way back to you. If people leave your life, then it means their part in your story is over. If they come back, then it means the story isn't over." Qin Yang said. 

 

"Then, mom came back because..."

"Because all of us needed a proper closure, in order to open a new chapter in our lives."

Wes looked at his father again. "Maybe, this is the closure you need. Maybe, this is also the new chapter in your life. Whatever happens, we need to learn to forgive so we could all move on." Qin Yang told him. "Is that why you chose to let mom go before?"

"Yes, that's my reason." 

 

Wes looked back at his mother, and stared at her. He asked himself, is he ready to face her now? He still remembered what Chun had told him, that he might never have the chance to be with his mother. At that point, he felt scared. He wasn't scared for himself, but for Allie. Allie's still too young to experience all of these, and he  wished he could do everything to protect his little sister from all the pain. Then, he looked at his father. "I think, I understand now what dad did before..." he thought. 

 

--

 

As they were walking home from school, Sylvia noticed the worried look on Wes' face. "Anything wrong, Zheng?" she asked. Wes looked at her, and smiled. "I'm all right." he said. "You don't look all right to me. Something's bothering you..." she said. Wes let out a sigh. "My girlfriend sure knows me well..." he said. "Are you worrying about your dad?" Sylvia asked. Wes shook his head. "Your mom? Allie?" she asked. Wes let out a sigh. 

 

Sylvia took his hand, and squeezed it. "Hey, if you want to visit your mom, you should do it. I can go home myself." she told him. "I want to know how Allie's doing. But if I go to the hospital, then it means I have to see my mom..."

"And you're still not ready to talk to her?"

"I don't know what to say if I face her."

 

Sylvia held tight onto his hand. Wes looked at her, and saw him smiling at him. "Would you feel at ease if you see Allie?" she asked."I guess so..." he said hesitantly. "Then, let's go to the hospital to see Allie. Besides, I should meet her too, right? I want to get along with my boyfriend's real little sister." she said. Wes looked at her, and smiled. Then, he pulled her into a hug. "Thank you..." he told her as he hugged her even tighter. "Thank you for always seeing through me. Thank you for always making me happy whenever I'm sad. And thank you for finding me..." he told her. Sylvia just smiled as she enjoyed being in his arms. "I'll do everything for you, Zheng, because you loved me  and because I love you..."  she told him. 

 

He lifter her chin, and kissed her on the lips for a long time. The moment they broke their kiss, they found a few butterflies circling them. Sylvia let out a laugh as she looked at the butterflies. "Weird, we didn't make any paper butterflies, right?" she asked. Wes smiled at her. "Maybe it's the butterfly wish necklace you have. Maybe the butterflies are are giving us our blessing. Maybe you made a wish?" he asked. Sylvia smiled at  him. "I only wished for you to be finally happy, and for you to be able to forgive." Sylvia said as she held on to her pendant. 

 

Wes stared at her for a long time. "Fei Fei..." he whispered. "You know, you can't be truly happy if you still bear a grudge in your heart. I hope, you'll find it in your heart to be able to forgive your mother, despite what happened in the past. Because you also owe it to yourself." Sylvia told him. Wes paused,and nodded his head. "I guess, you're right. I guess, everyone is right. I don't want to keep being angry because mom abandoned me. I just want to be able to let go, because being mad at the past is too tiring..." he said. 

 

"Then, you know what to do now, Zheng?" Sylvia asked. Wes smiled at her. "I'm sure now of what I have to do." he told her. Sylvia smiled back at him, and then hugged him again.