Dealing With Pain

Me And The Girl Next Door

"Ella jie! Ella jie!" 

 
 

Ella immediately ran to the door and opened it. As she opened the door, she saw Wes, who was drenched in the rain, carrying Sylvia in his arms. "What happened?" she asked in panic as he let them in. "I saw her by the park, she was crying, then she just fainted." Wes explained. "Help me take her to her room." Ella told him.  

 
 

Wes took Sylvia to her room. As she laid her down, he could still see the tears in her eyes. Ella touched Sylvia's forehead, and realized she's hot.  "I think she have fever." Ella said. Then, he turned to Wes. "You better go home and change your clothes. You might get sick too." Ella said. Wes nodded his head, and went back to his house for a while.  

 
 

 

After changing Sylvia's clothes, Ella took her temperature. She was right after all, a. Sylvia does  have a fever. She immediately took cold water, and wiped her body to cool her down. After a while, Wes came back. "How is she?" Wes immediately asked her. "She have fever." Ella told her. Wes immediate walked to Sylvia, sat beside her and held her hand.  

 
 

There were tears in her eyes as she sleeps. Then, he heard whisper. "Sam.. don't go... Sam....." she whispered. Ella could see the worried look at his face as he stared at Sylvia. "Wes, can we talk outside for a while?" she asked. Wes looked up at her, then he let go of Sylvia hand and followed Ella outside her room.  

 
 

"What happened today?" Ella inquired the moment Wes got out of her room. "I'm not sure what happened. All I know is that when I saw her, she ran away at the restaurant, and then she was crying at the park. She said she was supposed to meet Sam, her boyfriend." Wes explained. Ella let out a sigh. "Then, something must have happened while she met with him..." Ella said. "The truth is, I tried to warn her. Someone saw her boyfriend with another girl." 

"She must have had her heart broken today..." 

"I think so too... or she won't cry like that." 

 
 

Ella looked at Sylvia, who was sleeping peacefully on her bed. She doesn't know what happened to her yet, but she could feel her pain. "Ella jie, can I sleep here for a while? I want to make sure Fei Fei's OK." Wes asked her. "But you still have school tomorrow." 

"I know. But I want to be there the moment she wakes up." 

 
 

Ella let out a sigh, and then smiled at him. "All right, let's both stay with Fei Fei tonight." she said.  

 
 

-- 

 
 

Wes was sleeping by Sylvia's bedside, when he felt her move. He opened his eyes, and saw her sitting on her bed. "Hey...." he said as he rubbed his eyes. Sylvia just smiled sadly at him. "I should have listened to you." Sylvia said in a low voice. Wes sat beside her, and faced her. "You're bound to find out anyway. Even if I try, I can only protect you from being hurt for God knows how long." Wes told her.  

 
 

Sylvia lowered her head as a tear fell down from her eyes. "I wanted to tell you, that Diana had a bad feeling about his friend, that Sunnee saw him kissing that girl. I should have told you right away the moment I found out. But seeing you happy with him, seeing how happy you are to see him,  I wasn't able to tell you everything..." Wes confessed to her. Sylvia was silent as she silently cried. "I saw him kissing her..." she began. Wes fell silent. "It hurts. I didn't know what to do so I ran away...." she added. She tried to smile as she looked up at him. "I'm stupid, am I? I should have known something is going on behind my back..." 

 
 

Wes shook his head. "You're not stupid. You trusted Sam, so you believed everything he said." Wes told her. "Am I not enough? Am I not the person who's worthy of his love?" she asked him. "You are more than worthy of anyone's love, Fei Fei. Remember that."  

"Then, why didn't he chose me?" 

"Because's he's a stupid guy who doesnt realize what he's letting go." 

"Are you saying that to make me feel better?" 

 
 

Wes let out a sad smile. "When Tia left, I asked the same thing. Am I not worth it? Why am I not a part of her plans, when she is the biggest part of mine? Then, I realized, it wasn't my loss. It was hers. You know why? Because she let go of me, the me who loved her the most. So, remember this. You didn't lose Sam. Sam lost you. Sam lost, the beautiful and loving you.  He lost the kind of love only you could give. And one day, he'll be sorry for throwing it all away." He told her. She let out a smile. Then, she leaned on his shoulder, and cried again. As she cried Wes could only hug her. "The two of us broken hearted by the ones we love, will we find our happy ending?" Wes thought. 

 

-- 

 
 

The next day, Wes went to school alone. The moment he entered the classroom, Diana and Wayne greeted him. "Wes! How's Sylvia?" Diana asked worriedly. "She's OK now. She just had a fever when I brought her home. Me and Ella jie took care of her last night. I just went to the office to help her file for a leave." Wes said. "She got sick? Then it must have really hurt her a lot..." Diana said sadly. "You still remember how Sylvia gets sick when she's really upset or sad, huh?" Wes told her. Diana nodded her head.  

 

Then, Diana stared at Sam's empty desk. "It's that stupid guy's fault that Sylvia got sick! How could he make her cry?" she said.  Wes let out a sigh. "Seems like he won't be in school today, huh?" he asked. "After what he have done yesterday, do you think he have the face to show us?" Diana said angrily. Her expression then turned from being mad to a sad one. "But Fei Fei..." she said as she lowered her head. She was too worried about Sylvia, after all, this was her first heartache

 

Wayne felt sad seeing Diana sad and mad. "Hey, how about this. Let's visit Sylvia later. I can also give her my notes so she can catch up with her lessons." Wayne told her. Diana looked at him and smiled. "Sounds like a good idea." she said. Wayne felt a little bit at ease seeing Diana smile. She had been worrying since last night,and that made him worry about her too. "Then, I'll tell Ella jie you guys will be coming over." Wes said.  

 
 

"Wait, who is this Ella jie?" Wayne asked. "Ah, she's Sylvia and mine's guardian while Auntie Pauline and Uncle Jack is on a vacation." Wes explained. Diaa gave him a skeptical look. "An older woman? You're not going to fall in love with her, right?" Diana said. Wes let out a laugh. "Of course not! I'm not yet ready to fall in love again." Wes said.  

 
 

-- 

 
 

Meanwhile, Sunnee overheard their conversation. Suddenly, she felt guilty of what happened. She know that somehow, she had something to do with Sylvia being sick. Maybe if she told her instead of telling Wes, then maybe she wouldn't get hurt. But then again, she was scared that she will not believe her.  

 
 

She found herself at the bench of the school garden, overthinking again. Dylan, who was just passing by, saw her sad face. "What's wrong with her again?" he thought again. He let out a sigh as he walked over her. "Penny for your thoughts?" Dylan asked as he sat beside her. "Why is the sunny girl sad?" he asked. Sunnee looked at him, and let out a sigh. "I feel guilty..." 

 
 

Dylan gave her a confused look. "Guilty of what?" he asked. "Because I think I'm the reason why someone is hurt." she said. "Then, you should apologize if you think you have hurt that person." 

"I didn't intentionally hurt her. It's just that, I kept the truth from her and told her friend instead. I was scared she won't believe me." 

"And?" 

"Her friend tried his best to protect her. In the end, she got hurt more. Maybe it would have been better if I personally told her, even if she got mad at me." 

"Did her friend tell her everything you told her, or him?" 

"I think so? But he said he'll know what to do with the information I gave him." 

 
 

Dylan lifted her chin, and smiled at her. "Then, you don't have anything to be guilty about. You told someone close to her what you found out. It's up to her friend to tell her everything. If she get hurt, that's inevitable. But it's not your fault. You only did the right thing."  

 
 

Sunnee let out a smile at him. Somehow, talking to him made her feel better. "And his smile..." she thought. Dylan is someone who rarely smiles. But this time, he smiled at her. And that made him even more cuter. "Wait, what am I thinking? I find ice princess cute?" she thought. She have to erase that thought. In her heart, she knows she only like Wayne. 

 
 

Dylan felt his heart contented finally seeing her smile. He's not used to seeing her sad, especially when she's overthinking. Then, Sunnee suddenly jumped from her seat. "Wait! Who are you and what have you done to ice princess?" she shouted at him. Dylan let out a laugh. Finally, she's back to her old self. "It's still me." Dylan said, going back to his old, cold self. "I was just wondering why no one is throwing an insult at me all day. Turns out, you're overthinking again." he said as he stood up. "You comforted me because you wanted to be insulted, ice princess?" Sunnee asked.  

 
 

Dylan looked back at her, and smiled. "Sometimes, an insult from you can actually make my day." he said. Then, he left her alone, wondering what just happened to him. "He sure is a weird guy." she said to herself as she shook her head.